Yeast starter - any reason why not to let it do its business in my fer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welly2

Reaction score
Usual story - room temperature here is far higher than 22c. Was planning on getting my yeast starter going in the fermenting fridge. Any reason why I wouldn't do that? The only thing that might be a problem is if it's spinning about on the stirplate I won't be able to attach the probe to the side of it and will have to figure out somewhere else to put it to get a reasonably accurate measurement. Oh, I could stick another vessel of water in the fridge and attach the probe to that. Should be close enough.

No reason why you wouldn't. Precise temp control is far less critical when propagating yeast.

Higher temps are not an issue for yeast starters within reason.
25°c is OK and recommended in a couple of guides and also in the Yeast book..

Caveat- depends a bit on how you intend to use the starter. Decant and pitch, no drama, pitch active: should be closer to intended ferment temps.

Room temperature at the moment (9:30pm) is about 28-29C and it rarely gets much lower than that. During the day when I'm at work I'm guessing it's probably higher. I'll check out the Yeast book but I think it might be wise to use my fermenting fridge. Cheers guys.

I always do mine in a fridge. Helps keep the noise down if nothing else!

Back