Yeast Starter Affect Frankos Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zarth

Reaction score
Hi all about to give Frankos recipe a try and was wondering what affect a 2litre starter would make as it is an all juice recipe i have 4766 and was pondering on a starter as has been recommended before or just smack and pitch?

From memory the recipe calls for an optional 250g of LDME... so you could take the option of making a 2L starter with that. Aerate the starter only before adding the yeast if you're going to add the whole volume to the main batch. This will add a touch more body in relation to a 100% apple juice cider.

Or you could make a starter and decant off the starter beer and add the yeast slurry to the main batch of the cider... shouldn't have much of an effect on taste... probably only a very slight addition of body... reckon it wouldn't be noticeable

I make starters for my ciders (make them for all my beers too).

Main reason is so I have active yeast ready to go as I don't want the yeast in the apples to take over. Not sure if that's an issue with store bought juice or not.

I don't use campden which would prevent this happening (and give me a headache).

I make my starters with a small amount of juice and some yeast nutrient.

Latest posts

Back