Yeast Removal

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tucker

Reaction score
Strange result from a mistake in placing bottles of a brew. Accidently placed bottles from a brew upside down in the storage crate. (Yes I was sampling a prior brew at the time). Left them for a month. Placed in fridge correct way up and when opened the very cold bottle the yeast was all in the cap. Tossed the cap and hey presto a home brew with out yeast in the bottle. Tried a PET bottle and a glass bottle same result.
I know when making champaine (can't spell to save my self) this method is done to remove the yeast by snap freezing the top of the bottle. So I will sample a few more of these beers over the week end to see what happens.
Another item of interest I discovered was not to use hot water when using PET bottles, other than shrinking to little bottles the seal in the plastic cap distorts and won't allow the bottle to seal properly. Probably why I put them upside down in the first place. Cheers.

ha ha that is brilliant. There is no reason why the beer wont secondary ferment in the bottle upside down. Could be a great way to remove most of the yeast prior to pouring! - (if you are the type that doesnt like cloudy beer) If its a high floculating yeast it will stick together well in the lid and not disapait when turned the right way up. Some of the worlds best discoveries were made by accident e.g. phosphorus... For those who are wondering - phosphorus was discovered in the 1600's - maybe early 1700's?? by some bloke trying to make gold by evaporating urine... And I thought chemistry was a boring subject - now I work as a confined space atmosheric tester and I brew. Funny how the things you think are useless - arent :blink:

In Champagne making the process is called "Riddling" I had a customer (a wine maker) who did this with a brew once, it was apparently a major PITA
Funny, you would expect that anyone who has made wine using "mthode champenoise" would already know this.

Just think of all that hangover fighting vitamin B you won't be getting.

MHB

Back