Yeast Questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxy

Reaction score
Ok, you boys keep talkin about all these different yeasts. All i know is ya use the little packet under the lid to ferment ya brew. But i got real curious when i read that they can change the flavour of ya brew, an that yeast aint yeast. In particular, recultured. how do ya get it? where do ya get it? how do ya use it? Please fill me in fellas.

C'mon MHB, i know you know somethin!

Ok, you boys keep talkin about all these different yeasts. All i know is ya use the little packet under the lid to ferment ya brew. But i got real curious when i read that they can change the flavour of ya brew, an that yeast aint yeast. In particular, recultured. how do ya get it? where do ya get it? how do ya use it? Please fill me in fellas.

C'mon MHB, i know you know somethin!

Here you go, look at This thread for some info. Basically you step up the yeast using some fresh beer so that it gets to the numbers required to get through a larger amount.

The white labs/wyeast sites have good info on different strains.

OK there are a few different types of yeasts

dry- like the ones in the packet but you can buy better ones seperately. generally these are not quite as good as liquid yeasts but there are some exceptions, the US-56 is as good as some liquid ale yeasts for what it is.

liquid- white labs or wyeast. these are expensive, up to about $15 a culture but they can be used several times if you split them and culture them up in water/malt extract to get them to grow more. There are heaps of these, including ones form major breweries around the world and for jsut about any beer style.

Recultured- never done this before but its basically when you get a bottle of coopers or other beer with yeast sediment in the bottom and pour the beer out carefully and keep the yeast and culture it up with water/malt extract.

Craftbrewer.com.au sells a decent selection fo dry yeasts which are probably the easiest (or just the first step up). Most good home brew stores will have a good selection of dry and hopefully liquid yeast aswell. what city are you in? some one will be able to direct you to a good home brew store.

If you want to know anything more specific, just ask.

Latest posts

Back