Yeast problems

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonk1972

Reaction score
I've made a couple of batches of beer with yeast other then under the lid...
First I used a US-05 witch I rehydrated..and it finished at 1.016 ..
This my recipe
coopers Mexican cerza can,
1.5kg liquid wheat malt,
50g galaxy.. Made up to 23 ltr.. OG 1.050 ....

Next brew was ..coopers pale ale can
Coopers en1
1.5kg liquid wheat malt.
50g cascade
This time I used Nottingham ale yeast
OG 1.058. And now stable at 1.020 after 3 weeks at 19deg also made 23ltr
And also rehydrate

Anyone any ideas as I've never had this trouble with kit yeast under lid I do have a really good temp control

when you say you rehydrated.. were the temps as per the manufacturers instruction? you took care not to shock the yeast when adding to the wort? (as in the yeast and the wort were within 10'c of each other?)

Yer i went online and follow the manufacturers guide lines and the wort and yeast milk was almost spot on with in +- 1deg I never have any problems with the yeast under the lid I've done about 15 brews with great success ...its also my first time using the liquid wheat malt and wondered should I have used a wheat yeast instead of ale....it just frustrates me that everyone tells you to change your yeast for a better flavor... I've tried the first one after 2 weeks conditioning its quite nice and no bottle bombs yet

Just thinking of bottling the second one in couple days at SG 1.020

I wouldnt.. raise it a few degrees and gently stir the yeast up from the bottom, this can often help to kick start it again..

Very odd with notto, it's usually a beast even at cooler temps.

Yer I was told that but the first 3 days the krausin went off like a rocket ..... Do u think I'm not discarding enough beer from my sample and not collecting a good clean sample

Back