Yeast overflow

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mall

Reaction score
Hi all, is this a problem? It is a washed US05 and I made a starter with spare wort. Haven't had this aggressive ferment to date... IMG_20150303_084848.jpg

No problem.

Replace glad wrap, clean any outside spills and give a quick spray with sanitiser.

That does seem pretty aggressive for us-05 but not completely unusual. You didn't leave a huge amount of free headspace but still... how high was your OG? Big beers (high Alcohol ones with high OGs) can produce some massive krausens, otherwise you might have pitched a very active starter with more cells in it than you realized and they've just gone on a feeding frenzy.

Hell, you might be the first to get try top-cropping some US-05 :p

Yeah I may "review" the amount of dry hops. It tastes incredible out of the hydrometer and does not need much more...I will see how the flavour settles before any additions.

Hi Mall, i often have violent fermentations when using washed yeast so i just lower the temperature a degree or two for a few days until it settles down, works for me and its easy, Cheers, TOF.

Clean the fridge well too after the ferment is complete. I had some yeast get into the door seal and ended up having to remove the door to clean it out a few months later. A gas mask would have been handy that day, it really was not pleasant!

stevemc32 said:
Clean the fridge well too after the ferment is complete. I had some yeast get into the door seal and ended up having to remove the door to clean it out a few months later. A gas mask would have been handy that day, it really was not pleasant!
I once neglected a pack of liquid yeast in the back of a fridge and somehow it got a small hole in it. The smell was a bit like that of a rotting corpse by the time I realised and cleaned up the mess. So putrid :icon_vomit:

Don't lower the dryhop amount. That's about right for what I use in some hoppy beers. (5g/L) some I go up to 10g/L

Back