Yeast Nutrient For Yeast And Brewers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The King of Spain

Reaction score
Its pretty well known that Australian soils are deficient in trace elements, especially zinc, and so the same can be said for our food. So its hardly a surprise that yeast nutrient (at least the stuff supplied from Craftbrewer) contains zinc. Its also pretty well known that the efficacy rate from taking zinc supplement directly if pretty woeful.

My proposition is that when we use yeast nutrient in brewing we are also giving ourselves a shot of essential minerals, in particular zinc, in way that our bodies can actually use.

I know this does not conclusively prove anything, but I used to always have white spots on a few fingernails, quite common in Australia. Apparently that is caused from zinc deficiency. Ive also noticed that these stopped when I started using yeast nutrient.

So there you have it, beer can be good for you ;)

Interesting. I stopped using nutrient for the last few batch's because I have a feeling it's causing clarity issues (no idea why, just noticed I started having the issue when I started using nutrient), and I though maybe the yeast wasn't using it and hence left mostly in the wort, causing haze of some sort. I dunno....
Possibly the same sort of thing in your case? The yeast aren't using it or don't really need it and it's staying in the beer, which seems to be a good thing. Do you have any issues with clarity when using nutes?

Possibly the same sort of thing in your case? The yeast aren't using it or don't really need it and it's staying in the beer, which seems to be a good thing. Do you have any issues with clarity when using nutes?

No clarity issues. I do chill filter and use Polyclar VY though so may not notice.

Do you have any issues with clarity when using nutes?
I got 1kg of yeast nutrient from Bintani so I've been using it in every brew, no issues with clarity here:
kolsch.jpg

(no filtering or fininings used)
(contents of yellow box provided by father-inlaw)

Latest posts

Back