Yeast Looks Like Peanut Butter With Choc Chips

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balldale

Reaction score
I have tried to seach the forum for this but can't find anything so here goes. I tipped out a very odd smelling beer (can't describe it) on the weekend, and at the bottom of the fermenter the spent yeast etc looked like smooth peanut butter with things looking similar to choc chips in it. The beer was fermented at 19C for 1 week (in a temp control fridge) and then chilled (in the same vessel) to 4C pretty quickly (12 hours) for two weeks.

The question is what has gone wrong? Any help would be great

Knowing what yeast you used would be a big help.

peanut butter is typical of the colour you see of the top layer of yeast. Sometimes its the colour of all of it in a beer that has sat for a long while on the yeast cake.

Usually if you scrape the cake it will have a thick dense white cream underneath, if not.. the yeast probably isnt all that healthy.

As for the choc chips its either hop debris or you dropped some raisins in your wort :p

I have tried to seach the forum for this but can't find anything so here goes. I tipped out a very odd smelling beer (can't describe it) on the weekend, and at the bottom of the fermenter the spent yeast etc looked like smooth peanut butter with things looking similar to choc chips in it. The beer was fermented at 19C for 1 week (in a temp control fridge) and then chilled (in the same vessel) to 4C pretty quickly (12 hours) for two weeks.

The question is what has gone wrong? Any help would be great

Can you tell us what was wrong with it other than it smelt odd?!!
Everything else seems normal. Except for the tipping out part :'(

Well I have to admit I did not wait around, I smelt it, it was not overly "beery", and tipped it. However I did note that the beer seemed smoother ealier on, but seemd to get "rougher" in aroma as it cold conditioned.

Back