Yeast Farming

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Coleman

Reaction score
does anyone know where to buy/order flat bottomed test tubes with caps or have a different way of making slants and a place where to get materials to make this all happen? have been trying around for a while and its getting frustrated, would appreciate any help, I'm in Adelaide btw, need to cut back on costs with homebrew and harvesting wyeast liquid yeasts at $13 each a pop usually sounds lyk an excellent idea!

Also if anyone wants to post some pics of there set ups etc of home yeast farming feel free, id love to see how people are going with it!

Cheers from Drew :icon_cheers:

You just totally missed the 'freestanding 50ml test tube' bulk buy on here. Another reason that the Bulk Buys forum should not be hidden in the 'Latest Threads' panel.

Anyways, check out the link in the first post. If you want 500 of the suckers, the price is good! Alternatively, PM barls and see if there's any leftovers that you might be able to buy. Maybe someone has pulled out?

As far as making slants and farming, here's a good thread. Buy the agar at an asian grocery, it's dirt cheap.

I think you're right. I thought I saw a suitable sized rack there too but it might have been from another seller.

cheers just bought 50 from the first replier, under 20 bux so im happy even if they are round bottom i'll just make a rack somehow, maybe foam will holes drilled in or something to put in side bt of fridge, we'll see! :icon_cheers:

Nothing wrong with round bottomed test tubes. :super:
Never seen a mad scientist using flat bottomed? :D
I think you will find that most, if not all test tube racks are designed for round bottoms.

TP

cheers just bought 50 from the first replier, under 20 bux so im happy even if they are round bottom i'll just make a rack somehow, maybe foam will holes drilled in or something to put in side bt of fridge, we'll see! :icon_cheers:

Heres a link to mine:

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=43636

I think there's also a link in there to one by raven 19

If you have access to a drill press it will make your life easier than mine.

pm me if you dont get any, ill see what i can do

I've been using these
Are polypropylene so can be boiled to sanitize and frozen. Have screw on lids and a patch for writing.
Working well so far.
Cut the bottom out of a PET soft drink bottle and they stand up ok in it

Latest posts

Back