Yeast Failed to do its thing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joebejeckel

Reaction score
I have a cervasa kit with a coopers 1.5kg light malt and I threw in a saf33 from the freezer , it has failed to start, same gravity as og 4 days ago, ...can I just throw in another packet ?

Why are you keeping the yeast in the freezer? Fridge and yes another pack is the go.

Never heard of any one keeping yeast in the freezer. I would assume it would be bad for it. Probably the reason it didnt fire. Pitch number 2 !

Freezer = extreme cold. Extreme cold = bad for yeast

Ok, So I'm a yeast murderer !!!!!!!!

my bad,

I just chucked it in with the hops ....

for safe keeping ......

or so I thought,

I promise I wont do it again, :unsure:

you learn, :lol:

don't feel bad mate, everyone makes mistakes (including everyone on this forum). i've done very similar things. good thing is, you'll know not to do it again! i'd say grab another pack quick-smart and put it in. if it's a 20-23 litre brew, i'd personally even throw in 2 packs so it kicks off extra fast given it has been sitting there for 4 days.

For some reason this thread makes me think of Alien3, where they kill the alien by thermal shock and it explodes... I really hope, for your sake, that a queen alien doesn't erupt from your brew Ripley style!!

Droopy said:
For some reason this thread makes me think of Alien3, where they kill the alien by thermal shock and it explodes... I really hope, for your sake, that a queen alien doesn't erupt from your brew Ripley style!!
"In headspace no one hears yeast scream"

I think you can freeze yeast with the use of glycerine.....will have to check..

One other thing to mention is that if you keep your yeast in the fridge you should let it gradually get to room temp before infecting your wort.

Yob said:
Don't they store yeast cultures at -40'c?
You can store them at -80C, but they need to be treated with whatever cryoprotectant solution microbiologists use. Glycerol, sucrose?? Not sure, just something that prevents the rupture of the cell membrane upon freezing by stopping the formation of jagged ice crystals within the cell.

Please don't assume freezing killed the dry yeast. http://www.danstaryeast.com/articles/freezing-dry-yeast. If the yeast was properly vacuum sealed, then it should have been fine out of the freezer. Perhaps it was the way it was treated before/after it was frozen? Was it allowed to come up to room temps, then properly re-hydrated?

As far as Danstar's concerned, as long as it's properly sealed, freezing it is better than keeping it at room temperature, but not as good as keeping it in the fridge. I've read a heap of posts, mostly from home brewers in the US, where they've stored dry yeast in the freezer and it's worked just fine for them.

And yes it's glycerine that allows you to freeze liquid yeast: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/guide-making-frozen-yeast-bank-35891/

Back