Yeast Clumps And Kegging

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spartan 117

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Was about to keg an amber ale just there and noticed that my beer has clumps of yeast suspended throughout the beer, given that I've bottled up until now it's never been a problem, however I plan to force carb the beer so it's ready for tomorrow and am wondering will the clumps settle out in the keg. Also it's the first time I've used a liquid yeast (wyeast london ale) and there seems to be lots of these small clumps in suspension rather than on the bottom, result of liquid yeast ?

Please help, a tad worried this beer wont turn out well

Aaron

Which yeast exactly was it?

i've used the london ales before and do not floculate very well. One of the things you will find when you start brewing with liquid yeasts is the difference in fermentation properties they have. This has nothing to do with the fact that they are in liquid form, just thats the properties they exhibit.

With regards to kegging you have a couple of options.

1. do nothing. the beer will clear in good time.
2. do very little. rack the beer and leave it alone, the beer will clear in good time.
3. do something. Fine the beer when you rack into the keg.
4. do a bit more. Filter the beer.

All i do is fine with a bit of gelatine, and leave for a couple of days.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Leary

yeah I opted for the bit of filtering and seems to be working fine, bit of cotton wool in my siphon and I haven't seen a lump yet. I might add some gelatine to the keg for good measure.

Aaron

thanks for the reply Leary much appreciated

Hi Aaron,
I'm curious how the cotton wool went.
you mentioned no chuncks, but is it still cloudy?

Cheers,
Al

Hi Aaron,
I'm curious how the cotton wool went.
you mentioned no chuncks, but is it still cloudy?

Cheers,
Al

The cotton wool went well, learnt the technique at uni when it was used to filter active charcoal from a solution, using beer line so not sure about cloudiness will let you know when I pour my first beer (tomorrow hopefully). I'll sent you a PM so as not to re-post this on the board.

Aaron

Aaron,

Post it to this thread - I think everyone will want to know how well it turned out...

Back