Yeast Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

achy02

Reaction score
Hi all,
Ive been working to propagate some Coopers Pale Ale yeast. So far I ve done 2 x 600ml batches. The one I started a week ago looks the goods. It has a head and a white yeast on the bottom. The other I started 4 days ago and is a bit of a non-event. No head, a murky grey yeast on the bottom. (I havent tasted either yet) I am wanting to put on a brew of the Pale Ale tonight and am wondering whether I should use both; use the one that looks good on its own or use it with half the packet yeast? What are your thoughts?

Hi all,
Ive been working to propagate some Coopers Pale Ale yeast. So far I ve done 2 x 600ml batches. The one I started a week ago looks the goods. It has a head and a white yeast on the bottom. The other I started 4 days ago and is a bit of a non-event. No head, a murky grey yeast on the bottom. (I havent tasted either yet) I am wanting to put on a brew of the Pale Ale tonight and am wondering whether I should use both; use the one that looks good on its own or use it with half the packet yeast? What are your thoughts?

Hi achy hope post isnt to late.
I wouldnt use the grey murky one, too risky. If you can put off your brew for a few days grow the good one up to double what you have now at least. Otherwise pitch a good packet yeast.
Ive done this kit with propagated coopers yeast. Good fun and turned out a winner. :icon_cheers:
Daz

Thanks Daz, I will take your advice and ditch the grey stuff. it tastes okay but looks horrid. I will give it a few more days and see how I get on. Thanks again and happy brewing :icon_chickcheers:

sorry to drag up an old post, but Im currently reculturing a CPA yeast and it is grey and murky too...anyone else experienced this?...I was expecting nice pale creamy colour.

havent tasted it yet, but its at 1.5 L . stepped up from the dregs of a single stubbie into 50Ml - 200Ml - 1.25L

it has a foamy head, but the colour looks so wrong..really dark grey...should I tip it?

sorry to drag up an old post, but Im currently reculturing a CPA yeast and it is grey and murky too...anyone else experienced this?...I was expecting nice pale creamy colour.

havent tasted it yet, but its at 1.5 L . stepped up from the dregs of a single stubbie into 50Ml - 200Ml - 1.25L

it has a foamy head, but the colour looks so wrong..really dark grey...should I tip it?

The last time i did this it was greyish and smelt fine, could it be murky due to being roused??? If you are worried about it i would not use it and start another culture, i found it easier to do it with several bottle dregs, like 2 -3 tallies, more cells to start off with i guess.

The last time i did this it was greyish and smelt fine, could it be murky due to being roused??? If you are worried about it i would not use it and start another culture, i found it easier to do it with several bottle dregs, like 2 -3 tallies, more cells to start off with i guess.

did your 'greyish' starter work out ok?...mine smells fine but looks completely different to any previous starter I have stepped up...

Ive just tasted it and it tastes fine...seet and malty. Took a hydro sample and its only dropped to 1033 (started with 90g/L so assuming 1040)...think I will let it continue...might even add the dregs of a couple more CPA stubbies I am drinking now!...would that help?

Make sure the yeast is actually alive and doing something, I bought a case of Coopers Sparkling tallies from Dans recently(none in the fridge so had to get them off the shelf warm). I've tried twice to reculture the yeast from 3 different bottles and got nothing. Even after 4 days on my stir plate there was no action at all so I'm assuming they're all dead in this lot. :(

well I added the dregs from three stubbies last night....hey presto!!! this morning I had a fine krausen forming and swirling the flask released heaps of gas...almost gushed out the top!...will pitch when I get home from work today

YEAH, so stoked I dont have to start again, patience is not my strong suit!

Latest posts

Back