Xmas In July Lotto

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No need to worry about that, we'll give that one to the brewing gods like the 6 or so hydrometers I've owned. Still got one, so I'll savour it.

No need to worry about that, we'll give that one to the brewing gods like the 6 or so hydrometers I've owned. Still got one, so I'll savour it.

Not to worry - post office somehow gave me free postage last time, must be the karma police.

Thanks to cdbrown07 for the Scottish Ale and NickB for the Mild AND the Rye ESB. Looking forward to tasting thesefor sure.

No problems - glad to hear it arraived safely and hope you enjoy it. Happy to hear your thoughts if you are so inclined.

Been a bit tardy with my collection of beers. Got a few over the past week:
Mikey x 2
drfad
Itmechanic
Aus Rider 22
Jyo
Booyablack
Proudscum x 2

Thanks for the beers guys. I'm finally getting my ass into gear this arvo...it's gonna be a big night! :icon_drunk:

Thanks to Toolio666 for the beer. Will get round to drinking all these fine ales shortly.

Also, I will be bottling my American Stout this weekend Muggus. Would you like me to send it straight away or give it two weeks to condition?

Also, I will be bottling my American Stout this weekend Muggus. Would you like me to send it straight away or give it two weeks to condition?
If it's convienient for you mate, then by all means.

I've got a bit of a daunting task ahead of me....
8July11_018.jpg

Nick, you will be getting mine tomorrow at the case swap.

Bullsneck, yours will go into express post on Tuesday. Apart from the Schwarzbier I'll also send you a bottle of my swap beer, German Trash, which is a Pils only hopped with ISO hops and aroma extract straight into the keg.

If there is space left in the satchel I might throw something else in there too.

Just got home to another package - thanks to Potof4x for the two awesome looking beers!!!

Cheers!

OK guys, apart from the two people who have contacted me RE: my entries, I'm only missing a beer from Siborg. Cheers to all for posting, and I'll get back onto the judging ASAP!

Cheers!

Thanks again to adryargument. Had one of the Reds. Beautiful drinking.

Hey Nick, did my bottle turn up at all, possibly in your swap case? If not I'll bottle you another of my precious last liters of Schwarz, and maybe you would also like a bottle of IPA? :lol:

Nope, a no show Florian... Don't worry too much, if you happen to have a spare bottle just maybe bring it to BABBs for me. Otherwise I had the Schwarz at the swap, and it was nice :)

Well done on the IPA win, too :)

I tell you about yours in about 2hrs, on the way home now. Looking forward to it!

Also sent you the American Stout Muggus. Beat the 5pm deadline at the PO by a minute. Had one last night. Can drink now, but it won't hurt to let it be.

Nope, a no show Florian... Don't worry too much, if you happen to have a spare bottle just maybe bring it to BABBs for me. Otherwise I had the Schwarz at the swap, and it was nice :)

Well done on the IPA win, too :)
Just going to go on record to aplogise to Nick for my slackness. I bought the express post bag and plenty of bubble wrap - just haven't got around to bottling. I was kind of turned off after using my counter pressure filler to bottle my swap.

I've got a sturdy coopers bottle (which should be hassle free) and get that filled and mailed to you asap.

No worries mate, was thinking for a minute I may have chucked it in the fridge without checking it off my list... Anyway, not drastic hurry, still have plenty to drink and review - will get onto it this 'long weekend' - well in between brewing and helping out at the BABBs comp judging.... ;)

Cheers

Apologies all. Been WAY behind on my replies...let me begin...

8July11_016.jpg

Beer: Ekul - Cider
Date: 25th June 11
Details: 330mL Corona bottle
Sampling Notes:

The bottled had me worried, in more ways than one. Not sure if cider can suffer light strike; doesnt have hops so probably not; but this is apparently a year old anyway and seems like a good way to start off a Beer Lotto.

Pours out quite a clear straw glass of cider. Bit of bubbly white foam rises up and falls relatively swiftly.

Aroma has that atypical bit of funk you get with non-commercial ciders; cooked apple, brown sugar, celery, asparagus, white pepper, bit of cardamon-like spice, the slightest hint of acetaldehyde, but not in a derogatory way.

Carbonation is a tad course, without being over effervescent and nasty. Palate length is somewhat short, support acid hits a spike then dissipates leaving a slightly chalky finish to it. The mouthfeel is actually quite nice and full, just wish it hung around longer.

The flavour reminds me why I prefer non-commercial cider; sure theres a bit of watery red delicious apple character in there, but its everything else that makes it interesting; bread crust, more white pepper and celery stalk, an interesting unripe guava note and citrus peel. Finishes bone dry, lingering leafy herbaceousness.

Totally reminds me of the from juice ciders Ive made over the years. I can see why ciders like this arent commercially successful, but theres a certain romance and complexity to them that makes them a drink unto themselves plus I just like funky stuff. Cheers Luke!

22July11_014.jpg

Beer: McKenry American Brown Ale
Date: 15th July 11
Details: 750ml PET bottle w/ label packaged 2/2/11 4.7% 70IBU
Sampling Notes:

Pours a billowing pillowy slightly off-white head that eventually dies down. Copper sort of body, reasonable clarity.

Get some grassy, spicy, woody sort of hops on the nose with a dash of biscuity malt. A waft of green apple (acetaldehyde) comes through which is a slight bit off-putting at grabs my attention more than the other elements should.

Medium body, carbonation is spot on. Firm bitterness, finishes relatively dry, bit of phenolic twang mid-palate seems to go with the initial acetaldehyde character, somewhat confirming a mild infection of sorts.

Nice bit of slightly chocolatey biscuit malt upfront, maybe a bit short-lived. Hops follow up with those aforementioned spicy woody hops, dried leaves come to mind, like bay leaves, bit of ripe stonefruit in there too. Finish is a bit phenolic without being astringent.

The flavours are there but that mild infection seems to spoil it a bitspose Im a bit sensitive to these things though. Be nice to have a bit more oomph to the malt, but the basis of a good beer it certain there. Cheers McKenry, thanks for sharing!

Back