Xmas In July Lotto

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
22July11_001.jpg

Beer: Resurrection Brewery (Proudscum) Californian Common
Date: 8th July 11
Details: 500mL bottle w/ label 4.7% bottled 21.5.11
Sampling Notes:

Amber body with a bit of haze (probably my fault for shaking the bottle!). Holds a creamy white head throughout.

Malt nose toffee, biscuit, touch of butterscotch and vanilla, the latter perhaps not from malt. Earthy hops detectable.

Full bodied, chewy malt texture, carbonation spot on.

Sweet toffee malts, burnt caramel, woody hops and dried apricot. Moderate bitterness with a bit of dryness on the finish.

Not a style Im hugely familiar I think Anchor Steam beer fits in here? but it certainly has a definitive toffeed malt character and texture that seems very much to style and is enjoyable. Cheers Proudscum!

22July11_004.jpg

Beer: QLDKev Aussie Gold
Date: 10th July 11
Details: 600mL PET bottle 3.3% - easy drinking afterwork beer
Sampling Notes:

Golden boy, reasonable clarity, small head slowly dies off to a white ring.

Get a nice bit of floral, lemon rind hop on the nose; subtle but pleasant. Faint metallic twang upfront but it seems to blow off.

Medium body, very good for abv, low prickly carbonation, drops off a bit towards finish.

Sweet slightly doughy malt upfront, those nice subtle hops make a welcome resurgence. Dries out on the finish, bitterness quite low; clean and refreshing.

Didnt drink it after work; a ride around the block was enough for me haha! Geez it went down easy, the sort of beer I could drink one after another and be happy all night; be great off cask! Cheers Kev.

Hi guys,

Due to a bit of a stuff up with the Qld Xmas in July caseswap cases I've ended up, inadvertently, with NickB's Schwarz.

Tempting as it is to just drink it, I might just be nice and post it to wherever it's supposed to be - but I draw the line at reading through the thread and working out who it needs to go to.

Good Samaritans need a hand, so can someone tell me where to send it? :)

Hey Mate,

The beer is actually Florian's, and was supposed to make it home with me! Don't go out of your way to send it down, but if you happen to be around the city in a week or so's time, I can grab it from near Central Station to save you the postage.

Cheers

Ahhhh, ok. Well I won't be in brissy for a few weeks, but i'll let you know when I am and we can have a shandy or two at the Platform and do the handover.

Sounds like a plan!

22July11_006.jpg

Beer: Mikey Yorkshire Bitter
Details: 500mL bottle 5.2%
Sampling Notes:

Bronze body, decent clarity, leaves a small persistent off-white head leaving good lace.

Straight away the aroma had me charmed; toffee, molasses, biscuit, good bit of cocoa with dried leafy hops earthy and spice with a hint of dark fruit esters.

Smooth palate with good richness and low creamy carbonation.

Plenty of complex malt ; sweet biscuit, burnt caramel, and vanilla combining with leafy, earthy hops. Somewhat subdued bitterness leaves the beer towards the sweeter end of the spectrum, but in a good way. Some welcome fruit esters on the finish.

Really enjoyed this beer! Beautiful malt and complimentary hop character. Almost verging on a brown ale of sorts. Cheers Mikey loved it!

22July11_007.jpg

Beer: MXD Brown Porter
Details: 750mL PET bottle
Sampling Notes:

Presents a deep reddish bronze body with creamy beige head that hangs around.

Good nose packed full of cocoa, caf latt and molasses. Theres a touch of earthy hop in there that adds a nice edge of complexity overall.

Medium-to-full body, relatively dry body, medium carbonation. Not a great deal of roast astringency in there, which is ideal for a porter.

Delicious chocolate malts on the body. Flavour drops off somewhat abruptly, leaving the finish dry and moderately bitter.

Tasty beer. Enjoyable dark malt character without a huge amount of richness, making it quite a quaffer. Cheers Matt.

22July11_020.jpg

Beer: Peakydh All-grain APA
Date: 22nd July 11
Details: 750mL bottled 9.4.11 5% Cascade Wyeast 1056
Sampling Notes:

Pours an attractive creamy white head atop a deep golden/copper body with good clarity.

Subdued aroma. Pleasant hop citrus, tropical fruit, woody spice, with a good amount of supporting lightly caramelised malt.

Full bodied, medium carbonation, love the texture has a certain stickiness to it. Very clean overall.
Reveals a bit more on the body; sweet cereal malts, golden syrup, pine needle, lime, guava, ripe peach. Firm bitterness to finish, seriously begging for another sip.

Really enjoyed this beer! Sure its an APA steers clear of the standard nasal hop assault and nothing else sort of beer, instead has great texture, and depth and persistence of malt and hop flavour. Top drop, cheers Dale!

You're welcome Muggus, glad you enjoyed it, cheers for the feedback :icon_cheers:

Hi guys,

Due to a bit of a stuff up with the Qld Xmas in July caseswap cases I've ended up, inadvertently, with NickB's Schwarz.

Tempting as it is to just drink it, I might just be nice and post it to wherever it's supposed to be - but I draw the line at reading through the thread and working out who it needs to go to.

Good Samaritans need a hand, so can someone tell me where to send it? :)

I say. Let him keep the stuff up. Post another and go for a beer :D

View attachment 47192

Beer: MXD Brown Porter
Details: 750mL PET bottle
Sampling Notes:

Presents a deep reddish bronze body with creamy beige head that hangs around.

Good nose packed full of cocoa, caf latt and molasses. Theres a touch of earthy hop in there that adds a nice edge of complexity overall.

Medium-to-full body, relatively dry body, medium carbonation. Not a great deal of roast astringency in there, which is ideal for a porter.

Delicious chocolate malts on the body. Flavour drops off somewhat abruptly, leaving the finish dry and moderately bitter.

Tasty beer. Enjoyable dark malt character without a huge amount of richness, making it quite a quaffer. Cheers Matt.

ta, hopefully my cpbf filling of the dubbel held up :)

View attachment 47189

Beer: Resurrection Brewery (Proudscum) Californian Common
Date: 8th July 11
Details: 500mL bottle w/ label 4.7% bottled 21.5.11
Sampling Notes:

Amber body with a bit of haze (probably my fault for shaking the bottle!). Holds a creamy white head throughout.

Malt nose toffee, biscuit, touch of butterscotch and vanilla, the latter perhaps not from malt. Earthy hops detectable.

Full bodied, chewy malt texture, carbonation spot on.

Sweet toffee malts, burnt caramel, woody hops and dried apricot. Moderate bitterness with a bit of dryness on the finish.

Not a style Im hugely familiar I think Anchor Steam beer fits in here? but it certainly has a definitive toffeed malt character and texture that seems very much to style and is enjoyable. Cheers Proudscum!
glad you enjoyed i have one bottle left from my swap batch,people seem to be enjoying it i might have to crack another one out with a little less crystal.the other bottle has less crystal but was dry hopped.
cheers scum

23July11_001.jpg
Beer: Manticle AG Challenger Bitter
Details: 750mL Wyeast 1026
Sampling Notes:

Good looking pint of beer; bronze body, bit of clarity there with a small persistence off-white head.

Earthy aroma. Seems to be a combination of nutty, biscuity toffeed malts with dark plummy esters, dried fruits and spicy British hops.

Medium-full body, length is a slight bit abrupt and dries out quickly. Smooth cask-like carbonation is welcome.

Complex malt characters of molasses, heavily toasted bread and roasted nuts on the body, providing a nice mouth coating sweetness. Earthy hops persist with notes of vanilla, woody spice and plum skin. Finishes somewhat phenolic, and a solid bitterness that cuts through the richness.

Rather tasty number this one. More towards the ESB sort of end of a bitter, packed full of flavour across the board. Cheers Andrew, enjoyed it!

23July11_003.jpg
Beer: JesterDarts Autumn Amber Ale
Details: 750mL Wyeast 1026
Sampling Notes:

Reddish amber body, decent clarity. Small offwhite head leaves solid lace in its wake.

Lovely caramel malt aroma. Bit of biscuit and bread crust in there. Faint nod of leafy hops, and perhaps a fruity ester?

Medium-to-full body, nice medium carbonation, well balanced.

Nice nutty caramel malts on the body. Bit of earthy hop in there provides a decent hit of bitterness. Some possibly ester-derived fruits on the finish.

A no-nonsense amber ale. Well brewed and flavoursome, cant ask for much more. Cheers Jack,

23July11_005.jpg
Beer: TMC AGGA(all grain golden ale?)
Date: 23rd July 11
Details: 750mL PET bottle bottled 20/05/11 3.9%
Sampling Notes:

Pours a dark golden body with a reasonable amount of clarity. Head is a bit short-lived.

Grainy malt aroma, bit of twang about it, possibly DMS? Get some orange-like hops to it, not overt, just supporting.

Medium carbonation and body, has a drying texture to itwheat malt?

More of that bready/grainy/cereal malt on the body with subtle citrus hops. Finishes mildly bitter, lingering sort of tinned corn character.

I think you may have a bit of DMS in here. How long do you boil for? It might come from the use of pilsner malt, and can be boiled off with a longer boil (90min+). Other that it seems clean and just easy drinking. Cheers TMC!

Just cracked a darkie in a Grolsch bottle. Sorry, lost track of who sent that one.

Anyhow, it was delicious!! Schwartz bier?

View attachment 47248
Beer: Manticle AG Challenger Bitter......................

Rather tasty number this one. More towards the ESB sort of end of a bitter, packed full of flavour across the board. Cheers Andrew, enjoyed it!

Thanks Muggus. Glad you enjoyed.

As you remember, I was a little dubious about this one. I have more confidence in the porter I sent you.

This recipe is in the db and was absolutely delicious the first time I brewed it. However the hops I used were 11.5 (ish) % and challenger are usually closer to half that. Subsequent lots I got were around 6.5% and while I upped the bittering to hit IBU in this, I left the flavour and aroma additions as is. The effect was significant - wish I could have sent the first version of this beer. Even if you didn't like it, I would have been proud of what I sent.

Anyway definitely ESB end of the spectrum and definitely worth me tweaking to work out the balance with the lower aa hops.

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back