Xmas In July Lotto

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Purely out of interest, how would you have scored it as a robust if you were comp judging? Would you suggest it more relevant to another style (eg higher scoring if entered as foreign extra or plain old porter?)
According to my notes, I gave you a 37/50.
Not sure if it'd be suitable as Brown Porter, maybe as a Foriegn extra stout, but hop character seems to be a bit of a no-no in FES.
Like I say, the guidelines for Robust Porter are really broad, and after judging a good dozen or so in the NSW state comp, it's hard difficult to judge a beer more if it has more complexity and flavour compared to balance and drinkablilty.
Having said that, I think your beer should go pretty well in the style.

View attachment 48898
Beer: Aussie Rider 22
Date: 4th September 11
Details: 450mL Grolsch swingtop
Sampling Notes:
Opaque near-black body. Light brown head flairs up, leaving sparse lace in its wake.

Really nice rich malt aroma; plenty of chocolate, biscuit, liquorice, deep roast coffee with earthy hop, and just a hint of marmalade hop citrus.

Smooth texture, full bodied, welcome low-medium carbonation.

Generous amounts of dark chocolate, coffee bean, liquorice, caramel, toasted nuts, with undertones of earthy spice. Bitter finish very welcome, overall just luscious!

Wow! What a beautiful stout! Packed full of roasted malt character, great texture, and excellently balanced. Couldnt ask for more, cheers Aussie Rider!

Thank you very much for the feedback. What's interesting is how you picked it as a Stout. It's actually a Schwarzbier! It's based loosely on this one here from CBer. http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/brewing-pages.asp?NewsID=2
I have changed a couple of things, not exact grains or ratios, and also did a different hopping schedule for my no chill. I used S-189. I was worried about if it would be still carbed adequately when you drank it as I haven't used the CPBF much and don't enjoy getting it out!

I took it into my local bottleshop owner (he loves craftbeer and homebrew) and he picked it as a Stout as well. But as per my recipe with Beersmith it's too low in bitterness for a stout.

Glad you enjoyed it!

According to my notes, I gave you a 37/50.
Not sure if it'd be suitable as Brown Porter, maybe as a Foriegn extra stout, but hop character seems to be a bit of a no-no in FES.
Like I say, the guidelines for Robust Porter are really broad, and after judging a good dozen or so in the NSW state comp, it's hard difficult to judge a beer more if it has more complexity and flavour compared to balance and drinkablilty.
Having said that, I think your beer should go pretty well in the style.

Cheers.

I enter comps from time to time but never brew specifically for them. I enter beers I'm happy with, in styles they fit, provided they are ready at the time of the comp. First two comps I came middle of the road doing this: last two I managed to grab a couple of placings including some firsts in Vicbrew (not with a porter in any of them).

I like this recipe and have brewed variations many times so it's good to get an understanding of where to put it in without going crazy over the BJCP. It's great to have beer appreciated by strangers and to get special beer award mugs and whatnot to drink them from.

And the last of them...for now.

sorry no pic :(
Beer: Charst Smoked Porter

Date: 8th September 11
Details: 640mL bottle
Sampling Notes:
Mild aroma. Toasted nuts, burnt toast, charcoal, dark chocolate, dark grain bread. Faint note of hop earthiness and mild cooked citrus. Not particularly smoky grains as it warms.

Near opaque mahogany body. Dense tan head eventually dissipates to a dense ring.

Medium body and carbonation. Smooth, somewhat chewy malt texture.

Opens out on the palate biscuit malt, dark chocolate almost reminiscent of Lindt 70%, rich cake, charcoal/bbqd meatiness. Finishes moderately bitter, faint earthy hop and suggestion of fruity hop lingers.

Decent brown porter with a nice edge of smokiness, not overdone, adding an extra bit of complexity. Cheers Charst!

Beer: Bullsneck Oatmeal Stout

Details: 640mL bottle 6.4% - best after 10/08/11 47ibu Wyeast 1272
Sampling Notes:
Pours a perfect dense tan head, holding throughout, painting dense lace in its wake. Body is opaque pitch black.

Nice hint of hop perfume on the nose woody/cedar, bitter orange. Plenty of roast malt underneath; toast, nuts, liquorice, porridge with brown sugar, bitter chocolate.

Low carbonation, full body, great length with a lovely thick creamy texture.

Plenty of flavour on offer; citrus hop, resin/sappy, medium roast coffee, toasted cereal and bread, earthy/woody spice, treacle cake/pudding. Firm bitterness to finish, lingering after taste.

Really great American stout! Oats certainly add extra texture and complexity. Great stuff, cheers Bullsneck!

30Sept11_016.jpg
Beer: Josh Traditional Bock
Date: 9th September 11
Details: 750mL bottle
Sampling Notes:
Deep bronze body, hazy clarity, small orange-y head dissipates.

Rich melanoidin aroma lot of burnt toffee, toasted nuts, bread crust, treacle cake/tart. Hint of plummy (ester) and dried fruit.

Thick chewy malt texture. Medium low carbonation, good length on palate.

Lots of rich caramel/toffee malt on body. Hint of milk chocolate and cakiness. Subtle dark and dried fruit lingers on a moderately bitter finish. Bit drying alcohol in there.

Luscious dark malty lager. Certainly seems spot on for the style, and very tasty. Good stuff cheers Josh!

30Sept11_017.jpg
Beer: Josh Russian Imperial Stout
Date: 14th September 11
Sampling Notes:
Loud opening. I pour a HUGE dense brown head that seems reluctant to wanna go down! Body is pitch black, menacing, seemingly sucking light around it like a blackhole.

Big pungent aroma can smell it from a room away! Bitter chocolate, freshly ground dark roast coffee, rum & raisin, liquorice, ripe black currant and berry, even a bit of underlying hop citrus!

Thick oily body. Relatively subdued carbonation. The shear viscosity of it alludes to a big abv, but really doesnt give much away as far as warmth goes.

Lots of espresso on the body, like drinking 3 at a time! And sweetened dark chocolate not to mention molasses, dried and black fruits, earthy (hop) spice, lending an assertive bitterness on a finish with a touch of acrid roast lingering.

Simply amazing! Really a world class RIS, undoubtedly one of the best Ive ever tried. Congratulations Josh, hope we get to see this at the Bitter and Twisted Beer Festival!

30Sept11_018.jpg
Beer: Jord English Barley Wine
Date: 15th September 11
Details: 330mL bottle 9.1%
Sampling Notes:
Pours a somewhat muddy copper body, dense foam eventually dissipates.

Very enjoyable, rich aroma; caramels, toasted cereals, dried fruits apricot, raisin, apple distinct spice and pepper.

Viscous, long, warming, chewy palate. Quite magical really! Low carbonation is just what the doctor ordered.

Flavour follows on from the aroma, perhaps even more complex and unambiguous; Brioche, ANZAC cookie, bitter orange marmalade, dried apricot, Botrytis Semillon-like sweet fruit character, with dried leafy hop and spice lingering. Bitterness counteracts the richness of the brew, with a welcome embrace of booze.
Sensation brew! Plenty of complexity with great balance. Undoubtedly has a long future in front of it look forward to trying the other bottle down the track! Great way to finish off the Beer Lotto! Cheers Jordan!

Cheers for the review Muggus!
That was the last kit beer I made, it was Coopers sparkling ale made to instruction. I recultured Coopers yeast to ferment it. I find when using coopers yeast it does give of banana smells/flavors.

Thanks for the feedback Muggus. Glad you enjoyed. That mild was hopped with a mix of ekg and cascade and fermented with 1469.

Cheers

OK, one more from me from Wed night...

Florian's Boh-Pils

11._Florian_Boh_Pils_Pic.jpg

Glorious clarity, colour spot on, lacking a little in carbonation.

11._Florian_Boh_Pils_BJCP.jpg

Mate, a cracker of a beer again from you.... I'm starting to expect big things from you :)

Cheers

Thanks for the feedback Muggus. :icon_cheers:

It was only my 4th brew, so hopefully I've sorted out some of the kinks. It was my Sheizen Weizen. TC Wheat kit, tin of wheat malt with 20g of saaz at flameout.

More catchup...
View attachment 48893
Beer: Ash - ?
Date: 3rd September 11
Details: 750mL PET
Sampling Notes:
Straw body, slight haze. Foamy white head holds.

Hops most prevalent on nose; lemon rind, grapefruit, resin, bit of tropical fruit character almost mango-like. Appreciable grainy malt underneath.

Lively carbonation, light seemingly well-attenuated body. Very refreshing.

Hops cut through straight away; citrus, grass, light ripe tropical fruits. Wheaty cereal malt character in there. Finish is mildly bitter, a bit of acidity about it, (wheat?), reasonably clean overall.

Apologies for not taking note of what style it was seems like an American wheat of sorts. Well made and goes down very easily. Nice stuff, cheers Ash.

Thanks Muggus. I had a recipe sheet printed out to send, but left it behind when I went to the post office.

It's an Australian wheat, 50/50 BB Pale and Wheat, little bit of Magnum for bittering and 10 & 20gms of Galaxy at 15 and 5 minutes. Glad to see it's held up well, last of mine was gone months ago...

Cheers,

Ash

View attachment 48902
Sampling Notes:

Rich melanoidin aroma lot of burnt toffee, toasted nuts, bread crust, treacle cake/tart. Hint of plummy (ester) and dried fruit.

Lots of rich caramel/toffee malt on body. Hint of milk chocolate and cakiness. Subtle dark and dried fruit lingers on a moderately bitter finish. Bit drying alcohol in there.

Luscious dark malty lager. Certainly seems spot on for the style, and very tasty. Good stuff cheers Josh!

View attachment 48903
Sampling Notes:
Loud opening. I pour a HUGE dense brown head that seems reluctant to wanna go down! Body is pitch black, menacing, seemingly sucking light around it like a blackhole.

Big pungent aroma can smell it from a room away! Bitter chocolate, freshly ground dark roast coffee, rum & raisin, liquorice, ripe black currant and berry, even a bit of underlying hop citrus!

Thick oily body. Relatively subdued carbonation. The shear viscosity of it alludes to a big abv, but really doesnt give much away as far as warmth goes.

Lots of espresso on the body, like drinking 3 at a time! And sweetened dark chocolate not to mention molasses, dried and black fruits, earthy (hop) spice, lending an assertive bitterness on a finish with a touch of acrid roast lingering.

Simply amazing! Really a world class RIS, undoubtedly one of the best Ive ever tried. Congratulations Josh, hope we get to see this at the Bitter and Twisted Beer Festival!

Thanks for the reviews Muggus. Really pleased with the RIS. Recipe is HERE.

Another one from me tonight.....

This one is Malted's Rye & Oat Robust Porter...

12._Malted_Rye___Oat_Robust_Porter_Pic.jpg

Poured a murky brown with a head that quickly fades.

12._Malted_Rye___Oat_Robust_Porter_BJCP.jpg

A decent beer, let down a little by a harsh astringency and very dry finish.

Cheers

OK, First up from Tuesday night:

Siborg's AAA!

13._Siborg_AAA_Pic.jpg

Poured a dark brown with ruby red highlights...

13._Siborg_AAA_BJCP.jpg

Lovely beer mate! Well balanced, smooth, tasty!

Next up, was NickR's Altbier (based on Dr. Smurto's recipe I believe...)...

14._NickR_Alt_Pic.jpg

Almost the same colour as the last beer, great clarity, excellent head retention...

14._NickR_Alt_BJCP.jpg

A nice beer, and balanced enough to not be harsh!

Cheers!

Thanks very much Nick! I hope you enjoyed it. Carbonation was a sugar cube in the bottle - as the rest of it was kegged. She does look a little fizzy there!

:beer:

Thanks for the feedback on Both Beers!

And the last of them...for now.

Beer: Charst Smoked Porter

Sampling Notes:
Mild aroma. Toasted nuts, burnt toast, charcoal, dark chocolate, dark grain bread. Faint note of hop earthiness and mild cooked citrus. Not particularly smoky grains as it warms.

Near opaque mahogany body. Dense tan head eventually dissipates to a dense ring.

Medium body and carbonation. Smooth, somewhat chewy malt texture.

Opens out on the palate biscuit malt, dark chocolate almost reminiscent of Lindt 70%, rich cake, charcoal/bbqd meatiness. Finishes moderately bitter, faint earthy hop and suggestion of fruity hop lingers.

Decent brown porter with a nice edge of smokiness, not overdone, adding an extra bit of complexity. Cheers Charst!

Beer: Bullsneck Oatmeal Stout

Details: 640mL bottle 6.4% - best after 10/08/11 47ibu Wyeast 1272
Sampling Notes:
Pours a perfect dense tan head, holding throughout, painting dense lace in its wake. Body is opaque pitch black.

Nice hint of hop perfume on the nose woody/cedar, bitter orange. Plenty of roast malt underneath; toast, nuts, liquorice, porridge with brown sugar, bitter chocolate.

Low carbonation, full body, great length with a lovely thick creamy texture.

Plenty of flavour on offer; citrus hop, resin/sappy, medium roast coffee, toasted cereal and bread, earthy/woody spice, treacle cake/pudding. Firm bitterness to finish, lingering after taste.

Really great American stout! Oats certainly add extra texture and complexity. Great stuff, cheers Bullsneck!

View attachment 48902
Sampling Notes:

View attachment 48903
Sampling Notes:

View attachment 48904
Beer: Jord English Barley Wine
Date: 15th September 11
Details: 330mL bottle 9.1%
Sampling Notes:
Pours a somewhat muddy copper body, dense foam eventually dissipates.

Very enjoyable, rich aroma; caramels, toasted cereals, dried fruits apricot, raisin, apple distinct spice and pepper.

Viscous, long, warming, chewy palate. Quite magical really! Low carbonation is just what the doctor ordered.

Flavour follows on from the aroma, perhaps even more complex and unambiguous; Brioche, ANZAC cookie, bitter orange marmalade, dried apricot, Botrytis Semillon-like sweet fruit character, with dried leafy hop and spice lingering. Bitterness counteracts the richness of the brew, with a welcome embrace of booze.
Sensation brew! Plenty of complexity with great balance. Undoubtedly has a long future in front of it look forward to trying the other bottle down the track! Great way to finish off the Beer Lotto! Cheers Jordan!

OK, First up from Tuesday night:

Siborg's AAA!

View attachment 49099

Poured a dark brown with ruby red highlights...

View attachment 49098

Lovely beer mate! Well balanced, smooth, tasty!
Glad you liked it, Nick. I'm surprised it stayed carbonated that long given the slow pour>charge with carbonater cap>cap method I did.

Believe it or not, that is a partial using a coopers real ale kit as a base. I used a little JW ale, some carabohemium and a fair amount of munich for the partial mash. Hops are galaxy, centenial and some cascade (off the top of my head). I did it for the Melbourne brewers "get your kit off" competition where we try and see who can do the best with a kit as a base.

I really miss this beer, I was so sad when the keg blew. I think I might have to brew another batch, but I'm not sure if I should use the kit again.

Well, has to be the best kit/partial I've had in a long time!

Cheers

Hi Nick have you still got beers left? I dont recall seeing a review of mine on here as yet.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back