Xmas drop - What you planning & what do you recommend

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just bottled a blonde ale which tasted very nice prior to bottling. Should please the family, who consist of people that like boring beer, should please all.

i'm the same. made a very simple tettnang blonde ale. pils and crystal. should be nice albeit ordinary, so might also put on something along the lines of liam's pale and wheat. i like the sound/taste of that!

Not offensive seems to be the trend here.

I suppose we have to cater for the majority who aren't addicted to hop heavy brews (yet)...

Another one I was considering was a strawberry beer...went strawberry picking with the Mrs last weekend and have 5kg of amazing fruit that needs to be use and there's only so much f'ing jam I can take!

Anyone have a good AG recipe for Strawberry beer?

I've seen some extract recipes like:
23L batch
1 tin wheat LME + 1 tin Light LEM + 300g LDME + S05 in Primary (10 days @22deg) - What hop additions would you recommend??
1kg strawberries in secondary (10 days @22deg)

Appreciate any thoughts/advice

I have a batch of DSGA just coming on cause I know the relo's drink Squire Golden..so should keep them happy, putting down an easy drinking PA next week, touch of wheat, galaxy and simcoe to about 30IBU, probably high 30's here at chrissie, and also puting down a saison that I will bottle in champagne bottles and give out as take away's.

If I get a chance I will also put down another cherry wheat, went down well 2 xmas's ago but may not get the time.

The guests can have the apricot blonde in the keg but I plan in tasting my first batch of berlinner weisse and most certainly finishing up with a brett porter. A funky Christmas to all!

I have an aussie PA that is 72% pale malt and 28% wheat hopped with cascade and nelson at a 5:1 ratio that is ready to go to secondary. Should keep the relo's happy.

clauddr said:
Anyone have a good AG recipe for Strawberry beer?
There was a strawberry beer thread on here last year some time. The general consensus was that it's very, very hard to get strawberry flavor into beer. Strawberries depend mostly on aromatics for their flavor, which are volatile and break down easily.

In my years as a pastry chef I never once managed to get good strawberry flavor in to any recipe that didn't involve fresh berries in the final product.

Sorry, I'm on mobile, otherwise I would find the thread for you.

Got a summer ale fermenting at the moment.

Pilsner/vienna/wheat/crystal

Lots of late nelson and galaxy should be a crowd pleaser.

Also got a apple and blackcurrent cider for the ladies

toolio666 said:
Just carbing the saison, & lagering the pilsner, while trying to finish drinking a new world ale. Then wife wants a kolsch. Thinking bittering with magnum, then Ella. But I want a American IPA. Thinking centennial, chinook & cascade with BR97. Or an Aussie pale with galaxy & Ella.
Thoughts?
did a golden ale with the galaxy Ella blend recently and loved the spiciness I got from that, only used it in small amounts dry hopping (1/2 gram/ litre with the other half galaxy and loved the result.

First year 'We (not I) volunteered' to have xmas at our place. Cider is already down and a Cream Ale happening in the next few days. Also putting on a Root Beer for the kiddies.

My old house mate used to blanch about a kilo of them and add them liquid and all to his FV. I'm not sure of the recipe, but it was a very dry, highly carbonated beer that reminded me of Asahi with a hint of strawberry.

Mardoo said:
What's your method for getting good strawberry flavor? Love to be proven wrong from my earlier comment.
Got a shiat load of over ripe strawberries..goiung to reduce them and put em in...later on going to try strawberry jam.. the gelatin should help pull out the yeastes as well.

This thread is making me thirsty...

This thread... *pause for effect* is making me thirsty...

No pretzels this year but I'm doing a bit of a gift pack for some mates in Brisbane who have missed my HB: basically an amber ale, pils - tastes great but pissed I couldn't get the floor malted pils at the time - a corked Saison and a porter.

Last year I made a great 4% APA that went down a treat:
71% BB ale malt
19% Weyermann Munich II
10% BB wheat

Bittered with Simcoe at 60min, 40min, 30min then started bringing in Cascade (30min, 20min, 10min, 5min) then Motueka (20min, 10min, 5min, dry hop). I used US-05, but obviously there are probably some better yeasts to use for this.

It was about 3-4 weeks (bottled) from grain to brain and hit the spot marvellously. My old man was obviously getting a bit sentimental as it disappeared in about 45 seconds and he declared it was the best beer he'd ever tasted. He's not a drinker though so he doesn't count...

great thread, been thinking about it too and considering that the average abv in the pantry is maybe 6.5% something light and quaffable would be, or at least seem to be the go

might be nearly out of time but was going to do a bohemian pilsner, so if I don't gets me some grain this week it'll have to be a wheat instead, saaz, orange curacao etc - mmn maybe i'll pump it up and have a "knock my dick into the dirt" strong wit, I canny help it

Grainer said:
Got a shiat load of over ripe strawberries..goiung to reduce them and put em in...later on going to try strawberry jam.. the gelatin should help pull out the yeastes as well.
Making a simple coulis would be the way to go.

Latest posts

Back