Wyeast Smack Swelling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siborg

Reaction score
I've bought a pack of 1056 American a few weeks back and have kept it in the fridge at 2-4 degrees. I noticed the other day that it had started to swell. Could have been knocked around during transit or something

Anyway, my question is: do you reckon it'd still be alright? It's still sealed and everything, just not sure as to whether or not I should use it.

It should be fine.

I have a Roselare in the fridge, quite bulky (compared to other smack packs I have used previously) but not smacked yet too.

Ditto, have a pregnant 1026 in the fridge alongside a pair of 1469s from the same consignment, both of which are rather lean in comparison. Some seem to swell a bit prematurely, but there's no need to panic. It just could be fun trying to smack it, they obviously have a sense of humour at Wyeast. :D

But if its swelling, would the smack pack already have broken?

No, seems occasionally they're packaged before fermentation is complete. I'm guessing its not the smacked pouch, just some residual production media. Relax!

Some packs will swell a little without smacking them. Can't remember why though. It'd have to go through some pretty rough transit to get accidently smacked. As long as it's not swelled like a known smacked pack I wouldn't worry.

I got a pack of 1056 last week that was the same Simon (looked about 1/3 swollen when I got it). I smacked it on Friday night (have never seen a pack swell up so quick) and pitched yesterday with no ill effects.

I'd say that its the same batch from G&G...

both my wy2575 kolsch (II) were pre swollen and i thought the inner pack had been smacked, after a few minutes of playing with the pack i realised it wasnt smacked, so i managed to smack it (even harder than normal) and when the real swelling started i thought i had a fart bomb on my hands, but it held

No, seems occasionally they're packaged before fermentation is complete. I'm guessing its not the smacked pouch, just some residual production media. Relax!
Exactly, most of the 1056 I get imported is fatter than the rest of the yeasts. As you mentioned its due to incomplete fermentation before packing. Nothing to worry about but it can be fun finding that little smack sack some times.
GB

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I had one of the semi swollen packs about 10 months ago - it was a 1056 also - and I got so frustrated at the added difficulty of keeping the inner satchel in one spot that I decided what was needed was a quick Bruce Lee inspired chop to show the little f*cker who was the boss...

...of course the result was like an over excited fat kid getting into a packet of chicken samboys...the pack burst open, yeast everywhere, :huh: and the plaster in the kitchen had a strange smell for a few weeks. There was enough left in the pack to propogate, but bloody hell it gave me a shock haha. :blink:

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I had one of the semi swollen packs about 10 months ago - it was a 1056 also - and I got so frustrated at the added difficulty of keeping the inner satchel in one spot that I decided what was needed was a quick Bruce Lee inspired chop to show the little f*cker who was the boss...

...of course the result was like an over excited fat kid getting into a packet of chicken samboys...the pack burst open, yeast everywhere, :huh: and the plaster in the kitchen had a strange smell for a few weeks. There was enough left in the pack to propogate, but bloody hell it gave me a shock haha. :blink:
Spoil the rod,spare the child... :D

Best laugh i've had in a while, cheers :icon_cheers:

Back