Wyeast 5112 Bretonmyces Bruxilensis

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Warren, I am science trained, but there is just so much we don't know or even worse, think we already know about yeast. In my job I give a reasonable amount of credence to anecdotal evidence/experience.

Brett metabolises the cellulose in oak barrels, bad for wine (unless it is old world or hunter) and good for some styles of beer.

Maybe if you are very clean and use powerful cleaning/sanitising agents then you might avoid a contaminated environment.

The problem in my book is that brett is a very hardy yeast and will survive, even flourish where other yeast especially sacch have long given up and died. So if you miss a bad weld or similar with a sanitiser then the population builds up and you have contamination.

Brett relative to sacch is a slow fermenter so any infection may not show up for a while.

For risks sake I would try to add the culture to each bottle, of course depends on what volume you are bottling.

Kirk

The Brett in this beer has become far stronger and more complex now, after 2 and a half months. It is tasting quite a bit different to other Brett beers that I have tried.

The Fermenter that I conditioned this beer in has a resident Brett bug in it and I have had a beer recently pick it up after primary. This was unfortunate as it was fermented using the TT yeast. :unsure:

So how is the brettley taylor ale coming along, then?

Only have a couple of tallies of it which were bottled about 10 days ago, haven't tried it yet. will try it in a week or so

I spent a year 'playing' with them in my honours year at Uni.

Once wineries get it, it is very difficult to remove.

So taking wineries and wood out of the picture, using plastic or stainless and a bloody good lashing of 2% caustic and 80c + hot water will rid of all evil? Or do we have sequestant issues here with the size of the Brett vs the penetration of bloody hot caustic.

Ohh, and dont ask me how i learnt the lesson of wearing eye protection in this matter,

Scotty

ps. sounds like a 'Ray Taint' issue - a never ending Saison Yeast issue in the Illawarra....

Yeah if you take wood out of the picture and use hot caustic and be sure to get everywhere then that will remove just about everything. mmm hot caustic, bloody dangerous stuff. We use a couple of products ADCIP and ADOXYSAN, cleaner and sanitiser.

I am fan of a high ph followed by a low pH rinse, it is hard to implement a caustic/acid wash regime without someone not covering up and getting hot caustic in there eye!

As a winemaker, it just doesn't feel right to 'add' brett/dekkera to a ferment, I am sure a brewer would think differently.

I think I got my point across by now, this is one hardy yeast.

Kirk

Well I recently tried one of the last three bottles of this beer and I must say I was impressed. The Brett flavours had smoothed very nicley and did not dominate the whole beer. The roasted and coffe flavours of the Porter were easily identifiable as well. Despite having no priming sugars added to the bottled beer, there was ample carbonation. Very happy with the results! :beerbang:

Geeze, now I feel nervous just having an empty/rinsed Orval bottle sitting down in the garage/brewery... :eek:

Think I may go in with my Hazmat suit and get rid of it post-haste!!

Latest posts

Back