Wyeast 5112 Bretonmyces Bruxilensis

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdh

Reaction score
Has anyone used it and if so how?

We've 2 beers (a 6% that's in secondary and a planned 4% version), where do you think it should go?

In primary or secondary of the 4% or now into the secondaried 6%'er?

These beers are to be blended at bottling time so the flavour will be diluted by half.

Any thoughts would be appreciated... :D

I used it (in the form of cultured up Orval yeast) in a few beers. Was very hard to get rid of, beers 6 months later still developed Brett flavour and started gushing after a couple of months in the bottle, even when they started with none.
Also, either leave it in secondary for months and months till the Brett is done, or only bottle beers with it with very low FGs, cause the Brett will eat through anything the yeast leaves behind and get too dominant and erupt everywhere and make things smell bad.

I have used it in a similar way as Neonmate, from a couple of bottles of Orval.
I had an underattenuated trippel that I added the dregs to, at bottling. It finished it off very nicely, and now 9 months later the beer is fantastic, the Brett still very prominent.
It is powerful stuff and worth the effort, I will be doing this again soon.
TDH - I think it would be best added at bottling time, with a minimum of priming sugar, then be patient.

Same.

Got 20 litres of Saison sitting in a keg with the dregs of 2 bottles of Orval tossed in for good measure. Racked it 2 weeks ago and it still seems to be going stupid. I open the relief valve on the keg daily and get quite a bit of outgassing. :blink:

Warren -

I'm glad I read this post. The Orval dregs is a nice little trick. I'll try this out some time soon for sure.

I need to buy a couple of more kegs.

Cheers
Scott

Thanks for the replies folks. Have added it into the secondary of my 6% porter and will leave it for a couple of months

:lol: Bit extreme there Vlad.

I will toss the seals and o rings all the same. Being stainless I reckon a couple of soaks with Napisan should see them right again.

Warren -

one beer's joy is another beer's horror. seriously brett "infection"never goes away complety. i have a stainless keg that can't be cleaned. by the way i sampled an infected wine barrel to try with beer. it did manage to get into a 20 tonne cabernet ferment that i was working on at an un-named different winery two years later. the beer was splendiferous two years later.

Maybe I won't try out the trick with the Orval dregs then.

Scott

Do Orval ferment or condition with 5112?

Not sure they use that precise strain (they probably don't) but something similar anyway. They used to add it in secondary but I read somewhere recently that the brewer said they now just add it at bottling.
Since the beer is already so well attenuated there isn't a problem though with bottlebombs, cause there's not much left for the brett to eat.

I spent a year 'playing' with them in my honours year at Uni.

Once wineries get it, it is very difficult to remove. It thrives on sugar levels when other yeasts have given up, it can metabolise substrates that Sacch and other yeasts can't, once it is in an oak barrel it is there to stay. I think ozone may be a useful against it, but unfortuantly ozone is quite dangerous to be playing with.

I would be using equipment that is only ever used for brett beers and I would probably add it at bottling, reducing my priming significantly, maybe even not prime. This yeast is extremely difficult to remove once it gets a foot fold.

Kirk

Has anyone used it and if so how?

We've 2 beers (a 6% that's in secondary and a planned 4% version), where do you think it should go?

In primary or secondary of the 4% or now into the secondaried 6%'er?

These beers are to be blended at bottling time so the flavour will be diluted by half.

Any thoughts would be appreciated... :D

This sounds familiar :ph34r:

I think my opinion was that it does not matter whether it goes in either beer as it will chow down on those residual sugars of both when you bottle it. I would also be adding in secondary to emulate a post-fermentation storage vessel infection, but whether that is required or not is another matter. The dilution by half would only be relevant if the beer was being consumed while young; not an issue for some of us, I know.

Once wineries get it, it is very difficult to remove. It thrives on sugar levels when other yeasts have given up, it can metabolise substrates that Sacch and other yeasts can't, once it is in an oak barrel it is there to stay. I think ozone may be a useful against it, but unfortuantly ozone is quite dangerous to be playing with.

Kirk. Not qualified enough to tell you how to suck eggs. :)

That said I'm inclined to think that once brett has imbedded itself in something porous like oak, plastic rubber etc. It would be a thorough PITA to remove and probably close to impossible.

OTOH I've got it in a S/S keg which along with glass has a very smooth surface that leaves nowhere for the stuff to hide. (bad welds notwithstanding). I just plan to soak my keg with a couple of doses of Napisan and boiling water to neutralise and will chuck the rubber o-rings and plastic/fibre post washers. :)

Nothing ventured and probably permanent brett gained. :lol:

Warren -

OTOH I've got it in a S/S keg which along with glass has a very smooth surface that leaves nowhere for the stuff to hide. (bad welds notwithstanding). I just plan to soak my keg with a couple of doses of Napisan and boiling water to neutralise and will chuck the rubber o-rings and plastic/fibre post washers. :)
I've fermented beers with brett. in glass carboys and had no issues with subsequent batches after a good long soak with bleach. Gopher it I say. (Even though you've already done it.)

I've made lambic before in a plastic fermenter. Worked a treat. Kept it in the primary for over a year and then had no trouble cleaning it out. Just gave it a thorough scrub using some orthophos-based sanitiser, cleaned the taps, etc. Have brewed lots of beers and also a red wine in the same fermenter with never any strange flavours coming out.

I'm going to try that Orval trick. :super:

Latest posts

Back