Wyeast 2278 Czech Pils

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stubbie

Reaction score
Been building up a yeast starter in preparation for a Pils tomm morning. Chasing a dry finish, I thought I'd give Wy 2278 Czech Pils a crack.

This yeast ferments fast (much faster than an equivalent sized Wy 2124 Bohemian Lager starter sitting alongside) and drops out super fast - faster than the trub. The whitish coloured yeast layer forms below the peanut butter coloured trub layer. Reminds me of 1272 American Ale II.

Now lets see what sort of beer it produces..........

Cheers
Stubbie

I did a 37L batch with this 2 weeks ago, Starting conditioning tonight. Been fermenting at 10C. Will be interesting.

What temperature will you be fermentating at?

I read here: http://craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=1624 That fermenting at 14C can reduce the sulphur. I wasnt game to try that as I thought it might produce diacetyl's. I didnt gelatine tonight, but am likely to tomorrow night and will post an initial impression.

Edit: just poured a glass and having a taste........... Hmmm, there is some fruity flavours in there, but no sulohur that I can recognise. I am not sure what sulphur would taste like, mabee it's the taste I am sensing?

I think the OG was 1.044 and the FG is now 1.011 =74%. but it seems to have a bit more of a kick to it than that - will have to find the brew log. It does taste sweet, but this is the first time taking SG since pitching. And it has not cleared yet so it will undoubtedly clear up in taste with conditioning.

Yay - my first non-standard yeast brew and second AG! goodby S-23 and goo.

What temperature will you be fermentating at?

10C

Fruitiness??? For best results, 2 weeks fermentation is on the short side for most lager yeasts, especially at cools temps. In any case, there should be an improvement with lagering.

Stubbie

I brewed an Urquell clone some time ago using this yeast. Fermented at 9C and it tooks ages to reach FG. I bottled and lagered in the bottles for 3 weeks.

It was really nice drop... Powells Pils malt and a touch of carapils... Czech Saaz up to 40IBU... nice up front maltiness with nice dose of saaz-zing!

Still conditioning, but ran out of beer so I took out 3L and chucked it in the soda stream. It's certainly nice, I'm sure the fruitiness is the sazz hops. Dark color but my last one with S23 was as well so I spose its my boil time causing that? Not clear yet so still some flavor to come out. It's great to have a brew that doesnt taste like S23!

Back