Wyeast Labs 2278 - Czech Pilsner Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neo__04

Reaction score
Hey all,

Planning on making http://aussiehomebrewer.com/recipe/651-czech-pilsner/ tomorrow.

Going to use the Wyeast Labs 2278 - Czech Pilsner Lager yeast.

Doing a 19L batch to keg.

First time using Liquid yeast, Can someone give me some guidance on my preparation.

Is one packet of liquid yeast ok for a 19l batch?
Do i need to make a starter?

Any tips would be great

How fresh is the yeast?

Lagers usually get a 6-7L starter for me (if using only one pack), I make a starter of 2L initially and let the yeast eat all the sugars in that.. drop the yeast out by chilling.

(100g LDME per L in the starters, I boil all starters for 15 mins before chilling to pitch temps)

Discard all of that starter bar the yeast and about two cm above the yeast, give it a swirl and pitch that into a 6/7L starter and repeat the process except into the fermenter when it's finished this time.

Starters are at ambient ~20c temp, can get a bit of a sulphur smell from the czech yeast but it's normal, and I give my starters a small amount of yeast nutrient and O2 as well.

Hope that helps/ makes sense.

Manufacture date is 2nd december.

MrMalty Gives me the details below.

pilsner.jpg

It says I need 1.21 litres of starter, but also says i need 2 vials with a starter.

bit confusing.

Thanks for the help, first time with starters and pilsners.

I have a stir plate, ldme, and flasks. Got all the gear, just never done it

Neo__04 said:
Manufacture date is 2nd december.

MrMalty Gives me the details below.

attachicon.gif
pilsner.jpg

It says I need 1.21 litres of starter, but also says i need 2 vials with a starter.

bit confusing.

Thanks for the help, first time with starters and pilsners.

I have a stir plate, ldme, and flasks. Got all the gear, just never done it
drag the little triangle to the right (use larger starters, fewer packs) on Mr Malty. You may get away with a 3-4L starter.

EDIT: adjusted starter size for 19L batch

Ok thanks for that.

Just checked my gear, i only have 500ml, 1L & 2L flasks.

Dont mean to sound dumb but how do i make a 3-4 L starter? 2 x 2l starters, Yeast pack split between two? I only have one stirplate.

Neo__04 said:
Ok thanks for that.

Just checked my gear, i only have 500ml, 1L & 2L flasks.

Dont mean to sound dumb but how do i make a 3-4 L starter? 2 x 2l starters, Yeast pack split between two? I only have one stirplate.
you will probably get away with a 2L starter, or you could step it, 1L then 2L. If you are going to brew lagers, might be time for a bigger flask.

Thanks for that, i'll give it a go and see how it works.

Yep, first Lager/Pilsner & first time with liquid yeast. Theres a whole new world out there to explore :p

OK, I now have a slightly more urgent question.

I was reading an article on splitting yeast packs etc. - http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/articles/article192.html

I wasn't planning on that for this brew, I was just going to learn that for the future.

I was going to make my starter as suggested earlier, But i cannot find my magnetic stir bar!

I've already smacked the pack, can i Steralise some test tubes and put the contents of the smackpack in there once it has swelled?

Any other suggestions, I won't be able to get a stir bar till tuesday now and possible wont be able to brew due to christmas till next weekend.

Now what do i do!! Panic?

Neo__04 said:
OK, I now have a slightly more urgent question.

I was reading an article on splitting yeast packs etc. - http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/articles/article192.html

I wasn't planning on that for this brew, I was just going to learn that for the future.

I was going to make my starter as suggested earlier, But i cannot find my magnetic stir bar!

I've already smacked the pack, can i Steralise some test tubes and put the contents of the smackpack in there once it has swelled?

Any other suggestions, I won't be able to get a stir bar till tuesday now and possible wont be able to brew due to christmas till next weekend.

Now what do i do!! Panic?
Pitch the yeast in a 1L starter and give it a shake as often as you remember over the next 2 days, then put it in the fridge and the next day decant and discard the spent wort. Make a 2L starter and add this to the yeast with your new stir bar. This should put you int he right ballpark for yeast numbers.

Back