Wyeast 1272 Cloudy?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cam89brewer

Reaction score
I couple of months ago I decided to give the 1272 a go in a few American Ales as a substitute for both US-05 and the 1056 but with both batches that I have brewed have are still cloudy over a month later. My process was completely identical to my old recipes which turned out 100% clear after 1-2 weeks.

A few details.
1.5 Litre starter on stir play for an OG of 1.060 as advised by Mrmalty.com, 10 day fermentation @ 18 and a standard diacetyl rest , bulk primed with dextrose and bottle conditioned at 18C.

Has anyone else had this issue before?

I have found that 1272 is pretty much as cloudy as US05 - maybe slightly less - but also doesn't settle in the bottle particularly well.

Big 1272 user here.
I used to experience cloudiness, but it was chill haze (or at least thats how I treated it) and used to treat it by CC'ing for two days, gelatine for a day then polyclar for a further day; all done in the fermenter.
These days I just CC for at least four days or until I get a chance to keg. Always clear beer. CC'ing (if you can) time and gravity are your friends, gelatine will speed up the process of dropping out the yeast.

I couple of months ago I decided to give the 1272 a go in a few American Ales as a substitute for both US-05 and the 1056 but with both batches that I have brewed have are still cloudy over a month later. My process was completely identical to my old recipes which turned out 100% clear after 1-2 weeks.

A few details.
1.5 Litre starter on stir play for an OG of 1.060 as advised by Mrmalty.com, 10 day fermentation @ 18 and a standard diacetyl rest , bulk primed with dextrose and bottle conditioned at 18C.

Has anyone else had this issue before?

No, but I think it might be slightly less floculant than say US05. As with most beers/yeast, clarity will improve with crash chilling for a few days prior to bottling. 1272 is my yeast of choice for my house beer (AIPA/APAs) and I've not had clarity issues I couldn't trace to process problems, as opposed to yeast issues specifically.

I think next time I might just give it an extra day to cold crash before bottling as this is a great yeast and even though still cloudy tastes amazing.

I used it in an Epic Pale Ale clone recently and i did have trouble with cloudiness. An extended cold conditioning didn't help but when I added gelatine it was clear in 24 hours. That was my first and only time using 1272 though so it could have been something else in my process.

I have been using 1272 in many different beers for a bit over a year, orig split smacky 4 ways, usually reuse to 3rd gen.

Never had any problems with beer clearing, always clears for me at ferment temps a week after primary ferment is done and i find it sticks to the bottom of my bottle condition beers like glue, no finning, only brew bright in kettle(last 6months)

So maybe a more recent batch issue with the yeast? or your not giving it enough time before CCing to do what it wants?

1272 is my preferred US yeast and I find it clears in the bottle once it's carbed. I CC everything for a week minimum (well not hefes but I don't tend to make them), no finings, never served directly from the fridge (current melbourne weather means beer straight from the shed for me).

As suggested - maybe chill haze? Anyway not a characteristic I associate with either 05 or 1272. 05 has persistent krausen sometimes but that's not represented in the bottle.

Otherwise if it's yeast haze, extend your conditioning period. I also rack to bulk prime which leaves behind a chunk of sediment.

My version of cold crashing in winter is to just take the fermenter out of the fermenting fridge the day before and let it sit at about 10 - 12 degrees but obviously this is my problem in my process. I just get a little impatient sometimes when trying new things which doesn't seem to be a good habit in this hobby. :rolleyes:

I certainly don't find 1272 cloudy at all..... I have brewed about 5 batches with this now and every batch has become crystal clear.

Below is my latest Bright Ale using 1272 and as you can see, no cloudy issues.

I fermented at 18c for 2 weeks and then cold conditioned for 2 weeks and geletine in the keg and it looks like this the next day. :D

Bright_Ale.JPG

Bright_Ale_2.JPG

My version of cold crashing in winter is to just take the fermenter out of the fermenting fridge the day before and let it sit at about 10 - 12 degrees but obviously this is my problem in my process. I just get a little impatient sometimes when trying new things which doesn't seem to be a good habit in this hobby. :rolleyes:

Ive been doing this quite a bit so i can get the next batch on. I just leave it covered on the floor for another week. (2 weeks at ferment temp)

I see it as a " maturing phase" then bottle, seems to work pretty good. Bottles are generally clear and carbed after 7 -10 days (kept in warm spot)

As manticle does i just drink them from the box at ambient in winter from shed or spare room that is not heated, seems to suit a lot of beers. One of the few benefits to vic winter.

I've just experienced the same issue, running 2 fermenters side by side, one with 1056, the other with 1272. The 1056 beers are crystal clear (even an American Brown if you know what I mean) but the 1272 is cloudy as all hell. Same process, same temps etc. <_< They all taste great tho :beerbang:

I've just experienced the same issue, running 2 fermenters side by side, one with 1056, the other with 1272. The 1056 beers are crystal clear (even an American Brown if you know what I mean) but the 1272 is cloudy as all hell. Same process, same temps etc. <_< They all taste great tho :beerbang:
I agree I have done 3 batches with 1272 one after the other, the first got CC in the fermenter for 2 days - cloudy as ****, but delicious
the second got ccd for a week- really clear but not crystal, and the third is a custom IPA recipe that I just started to CC for prob 7 days too.

I haven't been gelatining. That would def help with a clear finish as this yeast doesn't seem to floc well without extensive periods in the fermenter.

I think a CC for a week in the fermenter minimum is good for 1272 but it tastes great as a cloudy ale anyway. Fruity and spicy.

Back