Wyeast 1084 - Fast Fermenter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crunched

Reaction score
I brewed my first BIAB last Sunday (Screwy's Irish Red), then no chilled and pitched a Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale yeast on Monday. OG was 1048. It is now Wednesday and has been approximately 48 hours (almost exactly) and temps have been sitting at 18-20*C. I just took a SG measurement - 1014. Is this normal?? 2 days and it's already down to the predicted gravity?

Obviously I'm going to leave it for longer - about 7 days, then rack to secondary for another 7 days, just curious is 1084 is normally fast acting like this? That's crazy. This was the first time I used liquid yeast too.

I dont know, but i pitch a '1084' last night and still no movement. This is my first liquid yeast and i followed all the instructions. After 3 hours the packet had not really swelled much but i pitch anyway. thinking of throwing a coppers yeast in if nothing has happened by this avo.

I had 1469 ferment out in 4 days, or just a bit short of 4 days actually... Dont you love liquid yeasts :beerbang:

I'm starting to think I will like liquid yeast.... Mine took a little while to show any activity (krausen etc), but when it got going, it got going.

Yup depends on the strain of yeast. For example I used a Wyeast West Yorkshire and expected it to be done and dusted in four or five days like many UK ale yeasts, but after a week I still had a rocky head on top of the brew, even though I was fermenting a couple of degrees warmer than recommended. This is bloody ridiculous, I thought, so racked to secondary with the idea of bringing fermentation to a rapid end so I could bottle and drink the bugger :icon_drunk:

Next morning, in secondary, the head popped up again "Hi, me again, still here lad". It did subside after a further two days and I bottled on expected FG (forget just at the moment).

I checked up on the Blacksheep Brewery, Masham Yorks. where they still brew in Yorkshire squares, which the yeast is no doubt designed to do and sure enough "The initial square fermentation takes at least 7 days followed by racking to secondary..."

I see on Peter Jackson's Beer Hunter video that at Bateman's Brewery, at the opposite end of Yorkshire, they are done in four days.
Horses for courses.

I've only used 1084 a couple of times and it doesn't stand out in my mind as being a particulary fast fermenter - not like 1968. You probably were lucky to get that magical combination of fresh pack, right OG, right oxygen/amino acid/other nutrient balance, and right pitching temp.

Right now I'm still waiting (almost 4 weeks) for WLP570 Belgian Golden Ale to finish. It's classified as a low flocculator, but this is ridiculous. My 1.071 OG Belgian blond with 3.5kg of strawberries just won't quit. The gravity is down to 1.005 and the yeast is still chugging away like it was on day 3 or 4. This was a double batch and I just managed to keg the un-strawberried carboy yesterday, but it too was still going. Not going fast/hard, but still chugging along. Its gravity was down to 1.003. I'll be pulling cloudy pints for a month.

Yup depends on the strain of yeast. For example I used a Wyeast West Yorkshire and expected it to be done and dusted in four or five days like many UK ale yeasts, but after a week I still had a rocky head on top of the brew, even though I was fermenting a couple of degrees warmer than recommended. This is bloody ridiculous, I thought, so racked to secondary with the idea of bringing fermentation to a rapid end so I could bottle and drink the bugger :icon_drunk:

Next morning, in secondary, the head popped up again "Hi, me again, still here lad". It did subside after a further two days and I bottled on expected FG (forget just at the moment).

I checked up on the Blacksheep Brewery, Masham Yorks. where they still brew in Yorkshire squares, which the yeast is no doubt designed to do and sure enough "The initial square fermentation takes at least 7 days followed by racking to secondary..."

I see on Peter Jackson's Beer Hunter video that at Bateman's Brewery, at the opposite end of Yorkshire, they are done in four days.
Horses for courses.

Youll probably find it was finished, but still at high krausen, like mine... In fact it refused to drop out untill I chucked it in the fridge... Ive never had a yeast that maintains high krausen right up untill finish, crazy stuff, but tasty :icon_drool2:

Latest posts

Back