When to increase fermentation temp for an IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muz

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've got an IPA* that's been in my fermerter for three days now and it's only 4 points off it's target final gravity. My plan was to have this beer in the fermenter for two weeks and to increase the temp when I dry hop at the half way mark. However, since it's approaching FG after only three days I was wondering if I should increase the temp now as I've read that it's best to increase the temp before the beer hits FG. I'm brewing with Wyeast English Ale 1968 and a number of sources, including the wyeast web site, have told me increasing the temp will help reduce diacetyl and other off flavours that 1968 is prown to. Do I stick with the plan and increase it next Monday (day 7) when I dry hop or increase it now? Relevant information:

Wyeast English Ale 1968 - recommended temp range 18.8 - 22.2 degrees C
OG 1.058
Gravity after three days 1.026
Beersmith and recipe predicted FG 1.022
Temp controlled by fermentation freezer with heating element inside and set at 19 degrees on my inkbird

Follow up question, I was going to increase the temp to 22 degrees as this is the top of the recommended temp range for this yeast. I see some people go much higher. Is 22 degrees high enough to clean up diacetyl? Should I ramp up slowly or just crank it up in one go?

Thanks!

*Not sure it's still an IPA as the OG is a fair bit lower than I was aiming for. More a hoppy pale ale.

Increasing temp won't help reduce diacetyl, it helps speed the chemical reactions that reduce diacetyl. At 19c and 3 days in at that gravity I wouldn't even bother.

If you're going to do it - do it now

OT but can't resist

Not sure you'll notice much difference though

Back