Wyeast 1026 Cask Ale Yeast Discontinued

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
Just been reading topic with dismay over at Brewboard
Wyeast are stopping a number of their yeast strains including the 1026 Cask Ale yeast.
I've used this in many an large IPA/APA and it is a fantastic yeast.
I'm pretty sure I don't have a culture either.
Jayse, I'm sure you are sitting on some ? Please ?

Doc

I'm sitting on an unopened pack.

Well, not sitting on it. But I do have one in the fridge.

First dibs on a starter please Kai :rolleyes:

The scarey thing is they have discontinued 12 strains. Don't have the full list yet, but that is one hell of a discontiuation. Hope it isn't a sign.

Doc

I didn't keep any of it from my last pack so looks like i'll be pinching some of kai's aswell.

Boozed broozed and broken boned.
Jayse

Gentlemen, the bidding starts at...

Might have to start checking G&G's cheapie bin. Might be one or two hiding there. :unsure:

Warren -

This is what comes from Yanks using Cal Ale for everything :angry:

Just went to their website. There's no news on it re: brewers yeast, but it seems while they're discontinuing beer yeasts, they're expanding their wine yeasts.

Check out our new expanded selection of Vintner's Choice Yeast. The expanded variety offers excellent yeast strains for a variety of grapes and different wines.

Just a bit more info on all the strains that are being discontinued. :angry: From this thread on Brewboard. According to that thread, Boots, they are ditching some of the wine yeast strains too. Lots of American brewers are not too happy either.

1026 Cask
1768 English Special Bitter
1882 Thames Valley II
2002 Gambrinus Lager Yeast
2247 European Lager
2272 No. Am. lager
3538 Leuven Pale Ale
3725 Biere de Garde
3726 Farmhouse Ale
3763 Roselare
3822 Dutch Castle Yeast
3864 Belgian/Canadian "Unibroue"

I take it the 3726 Farmhouse Ale is their strain for Saisons. Very specialty I know but......
I guess White Labs might pick up a few new customers.

Doc

3724 is the saison strain. Must be that one they mean.

Good thing I have a lot if samples of it, let's just hope they're all ok.

Looks like they had two Saison type strains.
This new post details the Wyeast recommended substitutions for the yeasts being dropped from full availability.

Doc

To my knowledge the 3725 and 3726 are only fairly new releases too. The 3724 is their longstanding Saison yeast being (one of) the Dupont strains so at least they aren't ditching that....yet.
I was looking forward to having a go at the 3726 sometime.

I read that the 3763 (roselare)was going a few months ago too but was still on recent order lists.

What a bummer.

Brent

Well that sucks!
I was SO close to getting one on the last order at my LHBS, but figured I would get it another time, as I am trying to save my pennies a little (o/s again at the end of the year). Hmmm, ya never can tell, I suppose, but as it was only a seasonal, I figured it would be reasonably popular, and they only have to bring it out once a year. Ah well, there is no rationalising decisions made when it comes to the dollar, I suppose.
All the best
Trent

Cask Ale has only been a seasonal yeast and availible to only 1 season as far as I can remember. So I am not sure the concern or the quips about 'this being a sign...' ... sign of what?

Wyeast is revising thier offerings and will moving to VSS (Very Special Strain) position going forward. This is a deliberate strategy to ensure that low volume yeasts still appear and are inline with recomended beers to make at that time of the year. Remember that Dave Logsdon is as much a Micro Biologist as he is a Master Brewer (Full Sail cranks out a meazley 10 million litres a year...), something competitors cannot afford the market. Dave is an absolute Alley Cat in a brewery, he is a walking Beer-lopedia.

These strains are still availible but need to be ordered in bulk - min 12 packs. For commecial customers which buy bulk cultures (2L plus) and represent the majority of thier business this is also a non-issue.

Wyeast have on file a large catalog of yeasts which totals over 1000 - it is whether it is viable in the market is the question.

Scotty

Yes, I import Wyeast

To my knowledge the 3725 and 3726 are only fairly new releases too. The 3724 is their longstanding Saison yeast being (one of) the Dupont strains so at least they aren't ditching that....yet.
I was looking forward to having a go at the 3726 sometime.

Whew!

Crap I have been living off European Lager in the last year :( better grab a smack pack when next at the lhbs.

Cask Ale has only been a seasonal yeast and availible to only 1 season as far as I can remember. So I am not sure the concern or the quips about 'this being a sign...' ... sign of what?

Wyeast have on file a large catalog of yeasts which totals over 1000 - it is whether it is viable in the market is the question.

Scotty

Exactly my thoughts

cheers

Darren

Another blatant snip from brewboard on substitution recommendations.

Discontinued > Substitution
2002 Gambrinus > 2000 Budvar
2247 European Lager > 2042 Danish
2272 North American Lager > 2035 American Lager
3763 Roeselare (on the current VSS list) > 3278 Lambic
1026 British Cask Ale > 1968 London ESB
3538 Leuven Pale Ale > 3787 Trappist High Gravity
1882 Thames Valley II > 1968 London ESB
3864 Canadian/Belgian Style (nearly certain to be on the next VSS list) > 3787 Trappist High Gravity
3725 Biere de Garde (on the current VSS list) > 3522 Ardennes
3726 Farmhouse Ale > 3724 Saison
1768 English Special Bitter > 1968 London ESB
3822 Dutch Castle > 3463 Forbidden Fruit/3522 Ardennes

Back