Wy Yeast 1469

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rotten

Reaction score
G'day all.
With the new relaese of 1469 Yorkshire Ale recently, I would imagine there are quite a few brews fermenting away with this beast. How is yours going?
I'm having trouble keeping my temp stable, which is not normal for me. trying to brew at 18c but it keeps creeping up to 22c. Krausen is larger & creamier than most other yeast I have used.
OG 1050, now 1016 so it's moved along nicely over last 5 days. Expecting FG of 1013
Is this a very flocculant strain? I would like to rack soon so I can brew another Timothy Taylor Landlord, Fuggles, East Kent Goldings, Styrian Goldings.
Look forward to your replies.
Cheers

G'day all.
With the new relaese of 1469 Yorkshire Ale recently, I would imagine there are quite a few brews fermenting away with this beast. How is yours going?
I'm having trouble keeping my temp stable, which is not normal for me. trying to brew at 18c but it keeps creeping up to 22c. Krausen is larger & creamier than most other yeast I have used.
OG 1050, now 1016 so it's moved along nicely over last 5 days. Expecting FG of 1013
Is this a very flocculant strain? I would like to rack soon so I can brew another Timothy Taylor Landlord, Fuggles, East Kent Goldings, Styrian Goldings.
Look forward to your replies.
Cheers

Most floculant strain I've ever seen. I used it a lot last time it was out, 3-4 days to ferment, chill for a week and almost crystal clear beer. I was amazed.

My 2 batches of TTLL hit terminal on monday. The sanples i took were :icon_drool2: They've both got some polyclar and sitting at .5C for the last few days. Going to filter and package tonight then harvest and wash some slurry. Might take some photos and a few sneaky fresh samples.

Edit: i didn't worry about giving the yeast much of a thrashing in the first day or so or anything... just some gentle rocking and swirling. Got my expected attenuation so all happy.

Loving this yeast.. :icon_drool2:

Last two brews have been TTL-esk...First one went off, finished in 5 days. fermented high 20, and my beer fridge was struggling to pull this monster in..

Second time, took a little longer (12days) and a lot of thrashing about to get gravity down. I'm thinking I over pitched, and not didn't have enough oxygen to start. This yeast does love it's O2 to start, (as does all) but it responded well to MR SPOON. Plus I sneaked in a little malto/dex. Pushed it higher to the 22's.

She's a hot little runner.

SS

I racked my first TTL today, it has stopped at 1012 so all is good. I also brewed another TTL to keep this beast going. Anyone had a Krausen (if it is that) that just won't drop out. Here is the pic.

beer7.jpg

I took it while racking, the brew tastes and smells awesome so I'm sure nothing is wrong.
Cheers

Yep that's what both my batches liked like before crash chilling. It did drop after a bit of cold time though.

Yeah, some might say it looks a bit iffy, but the end result (where it all counts) is something you just don't argue about! :icon_drool2:

Really dig this yeast, haven't used it in a month or so and I'm already eyeing off the fresh packs in the fridge, not to mention all those slants... :beerbang:

Pitched a Rye ESB this morning with 1469 starter that had a 1 inch krausen going off... mmm rye and 1469

I had a mild with 1469 in the works for today/tomorrow but my monitor on my main PC w/ beersmith let out the magic smoke last night, I think something inside was actually on fire, good times.

I keep missing out on this yeast :(

Wyeast are still manufacturing it until december according to their website, so you can still get some once it comes back into stock.

1469 will usually rise to the surface at the end of primary and just sit there like a rocky head. I'm onto fifth generation of a slant that Rde gave me some time ago and it's stayed true to type. I also have two smackos sitting in the fridge, can't wait to get stuck into one of them :)

1469 will usually rise to the surface at the end of primary and just sit there like a rocky head. I'm onto fifth generation of a slant that Rde gave me some time ago and it's stayed true to type. I also have two smackos sitting in the fridge, can't wait to get stuck into one of them :)

my latest took two weeks to drop out as a point worth noting. :D

Ayup lad, sounds fair reet to me, gi' it two sabbaths tha knows.

I'm onto fifth generation of a slant that Rde gave me some time ago and it's stayed true to type.

Ditto... generous man that Ralph... I've got a second slant and some top cropped stored in the fridge too. will keep me going for quite some time.

Plan to top crop this batch too and store away... loving it in the TTLL i've on tap at the moment

Pfft! The SA yeast bankers are the ones deserving praise for generous supply of seed culture! Anyway, doesn't PC mean Please Circulate?! :p

IMO, the rocky head goes, ready or not- if it comes time to move it into the bulk priming cube and it is still present, well it just stays stuck to the side on draining or at the bottom of the fermenter when I move it out of there. None of that secondary shenanigans either... B)

Nah... I say props to you mate. Generous as ever. Drinking my TTLL right now... Absolutely loving it!!

Ah, so its definitely mission accomplished then! B)
Just itching to smack a pack I have on hand (rather than start another slant), but promised myself I'd try some the Brewlabs UK slants next now that the current lager saga is finally over. At least if the slants are duds I'll have something pretty darned reliable to fall back on! :D

I will be tasting my first TTL with 1469 this weekend, have a mild brewed with it that will be bottled this weekend also.
Can't wait for the taste test, I hope it lives up to the hype.
:icon_drool2:

"lager saga" lol... Tempted to go on one myself... S189 @ 19c sounds good. But by the time my lagers would be ready it would be autumn!!

Ahold have got on that brewlabs bulkbuy... Some nice strains on offer. I'll just have to keep my yorky pumping along... So far; 2 landlords, 1 mild and 2 rye ESBs. Top crop and wave for next run of brits... Too easy

Latest posts

Back