WTF! Is going on in Sydney?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm speculating which is rarely a good thing but I'd wager that an organised terror attack (such as the ones seen in recent years - 9/11, bali, etc) would involve more than one person and be far more violent, more quickly.

manticle said:
I'm speculating which is rarely a good thing but I'd wager that an organised terror attack (such as the ones seen in recent years - 9/11, bali, etc) would involve more than one person and be far more violent, more quickly.
Yep. If it was serious terorists, it would be they and if they were terrorists aiming for martyrdom and publicity they would have started shooting straight away. Mass casualties and quick martyrdom would be the aim. Not a long and drawn out siege.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Can you ask your cat about Tony Abbott then. We need a decent answer

post-25941-14185538712935_thumb.jpg

Airgead said:
Yep. If it was serious terorists, it would be they and if they were terrorists aiming for martyrdom and publicity they would have started shooting straight away. Mass casualties and quick martyrdom would be the aim. Not a long and drawn out siege.
One person on ABC24 speculated that the target was another place nearby (as there are far more important targets than chocolate store in the area) and he screwed up and this happened. There's little to back it up but it is an interesting theory.

I have a feeling he is not with any terrorist groups myself. I think he may even dislike them and using it to promote hate with the group. I cant see him coming out alive I have a feeling he will take his own life but thats my thoughts. I am not against any religion and am not with any either but I have a feeling this is more then terrorism but some guy just out of his mind trying to put blame one a group he has nothing to do with

This guy seems more like a loose cannon ..... he is not even making rational demands

why demand stuff as it will end him in jail or dead so whats a demand going to do then? I mean yeah try to save the people thats all good but I cant see how he has rights to demand stuff when it wont matter in the end. Long as the innocent people get out safe its all good.

Police wont release anything even after its all done and dusted maybe hear it in court if he gets that far. I dunno its a big shock to australia but only takes one person as you see.

All over now. Looks very much like the act of one man with some considerable, ongoing issues.
Didn't end as well as most would have hoped - gunman and at least 2-3 confirmed dead, some non-life threatening woundings as well.

Not an organised terror attack though. Hopefully the media can stop banging on about Australia's innocence. 'Man, disturbed, holds hostages, gunfire exchanged' is not a headline we could pretend is new. The fact that a flag with arabic writing was involved doesn't change much. That's just where his state of mind was.

manticle said:
All over now. Looks very much like the act of one man with some considerable, ongoing issues.
Didn't end as well as most would have hoped - gunman and at least 2-3 confirmed dead, some non-life threatening woundings as well.
Not an organised terror attack though. Hopefully the media can stop banging on about Australia's innocence. Man, disturbed holds hostages, gunfire exchanged' is not a headline we could pretend is new. The fact that a flag with arabic writing was involved doesn't change much. That's just where his state of mind was.
Hostages killed ! **** me if I don't feel empty inside.

Extremely sad outcome, from initial reports sounds like a botched police operation, given what was known why it was allowed to go on so long? Very sad.

Murdoch and his pet chimp are in their glory this morning.

Terrible, tragic end to a desperate act of stupidity by a lone nutcracker.

V sad for the families of the 2 dead hostages (and for the cops who'll be absolutely gutted not getting everyone out safe).

Yep. Messy end to a messy situation.

I got the guy's age wrong and the fact that i thought he would be quiet...but will happily stand by the rest of my prediction. Especially the mental health part.

Violent offender out on bail for sex crimes takes hostages... Has more in common with that violent sociopath who took hostages in a Melbourne brothel a few months back than with a terrorist attack.

Any politician, "security expert" , journalist, shock jock or whoever who bangs on about "terrorist threats" today is full of shit and just trying jump on a bandwagon. That wasn't terorism... it was suicide by cop.

Legitimate questions to be asked about why he was out on bail... and how a known violent offender who was out on bail managed to get hold of guns. But terrorism. Nahhhh.

Cops handled it as well as could be expected. I'm guessing they knew from the outset who he was and that he had zero capacity to organise anything more serious. The commissioner in his press conferences was diplomatically trying to get people to calm the **** down and stop mouthing off. Didn't work though. Abbot needed a terrorism related boost to his popularity. I'm guessing a photo op in the lint cafe will be happening sometime today.

technobabble66 said:
Look I don't believe in everyone having the right to a firearm. The uneducated, disturbed and the criminal will always get their hands on a gun and the responsible ones are punished.
To put it in prospective look how the outcome of a similar scenario in Canada.
Food for thought ?

P.s.
Got to work today to find out the the apprentice got mugged 500m from the job. He was threatened with an Axe.

I imagine that it was most definitely terrorism if you were sitting, terrified, in the cafe, with an Islamist madman threatening to kill you with a sawn off shotgun and possibly explosives. Forcing you at gunpoint to make videos of his demands and post them online.

Probably not terrorism if you're sitting safely at your keyboard, in your office or home making predictions on the likely reasons and outcome though.

Latest posts

Back