WTF! Is going on in Sydney?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2much2spend

Reaction score
What is going on in Sydney, im channel surfing only to find that someone with some serious problems wanting a chocolate take some locals hostage?
Seriously WTF!

40-50 people and reports of two gunmen.
Scary shit, I hope it doesn't go bad.

Sense of proportion....

If this was an armed robbery in a cafe - a couple of guys with guns... hostages taken - we would have a few dozen police, a small cordon and a negotiator.

Now, in exactly that same situation - couple of guys with guns, hostages taken - , because someone waved an islamic flag, we have the CBD in lockdown, choppers in the air, half the police in the world and the prime minister making a statement.

FFS... sense of proportion.

Pictures on the TV of a man with a large backpack walking about inside. Presumably a bomb or threat of one.

Airgead said:
Sense of proportion....

If this was an armed robbery in a cafe - a couple of guys with guns... hostages taken - we would have a few dozen police, a small cordon and a negotiator.

Now, in exactly that same situation - couple of guys with guns, hostages taken - , because someone waved an islamic flag, we have the CBD in lockdown, choppers in the air, half the police in the world and the prime minister making a statement.

If it was my family in that coffee shop being held hostage.....

I'd be wanting the big response and every effort taken.

It's someone's family in there....that's a sense of proportion.

Yeah... sucks to be inside.. or related to someone inside.

I'd be wanting a decent response... not mass hysteria.

Apparently Obama is being briefed on the situation. I mean really. Get a grip. Talk about giving them exactly what they want.

Airgead said:
Sense of proportion....

Difference being that if they are terrorists they will want to kill as many people as they can with as much publicity - that is their aim. They aren't there to rob the place.

Airgead said:
Sense of proportion....

Perhaps they are privy to more information than us.

yes and by splashing it across every screen in the world we give them exactly the publicity they want.

If we treat it as an armed robbery and deal with it in a sensible (non hysterical) way and hopefully arrest rather than gin down the perpetrator it rather takes the wind out of their sails doesn't it.

As it is, people will be shit scared and start to distrust (even more) people who look a bit muslim which leads to more hatred and.... ARRRGGGHHH.

Canadian PM just made a statement. FFS what is wrong with people!

There was a suspicious package at the Opera house.

I'm working a couple blocks away and it certainly isn't hysterical. History has shown us that this sort of thing can get out of hand very quickly and now with the internet the way it is, it isn't illogical to prepare for the possibility of coordinated international attacks.

The dollar has dropped on the news. Lindt will become dearer.

And latest news, in Brisbane Campbell Newman has been briefed. Nothing to worry about then.

Bruno is definitely going to get laid tonight.

bruno.jpg

like klangers, i work down on york street about 1km away from the whole thing and just ducked out for lunch. everything seems normal and people are going about their business. I imagine it's alot different up in circular quay but down here I think the panick has kind of subsided

Airgead said:
If we treat it as an armed robbery and deal with it in a sensible (non hysterical) way and hopefully arrest rather than gin down the perpetrator it rather takes the wind out of their sails doesn't it.
But it's not an armed robbery is it?

Amounts to the same thing.

if we treat it as we would any other situation with armed people in a cafe taking hostages, we deny terrorists the publicity they crave. Treat it like its a local police matter (which it is). resolve it. Arrest them. put them in jail.

Making it into a worldwide security incident (Indian PM just made a statement FFS) gives them exactly what they want. And encourages more. We have just shown every disgruntled idiot out there that all they need to do is wave a flag and we make them an instant worldwide jihadist celebrity. Well done.

Treat it like an armed robbery, arrest them and cart their sorry arse off to jail for 10+ years of showertime sodomy and its a whole lot less attractive a proposition.

joshF said:
like klangers, i work down on york street about 1km away from the whole thing and just ducked out for lunch. everything seems normal and people are going about their business. I imagine it's alot different up in circular quay but down here I think the panick has kind of subsided
You probably won’t see any panic unless you are in the cafe. I was in a few bomb scares all but one false alarms and always amazed how calm people are being evacuated with police ambulance and fire engines screaming about cordoning everything off.

Its apparent from the press conference held by the NSW premier and the NSW police chief that there is battle waging between the Commonwealth and the state of NSW for ownership of the incident and the spin being put on it.

NSW premier reiterated over and over again that NSW police had the matter in hand, and the police chief said there was no need for offered federal resources.

The take out, is that NSW govt doesn't want to fall prey to the Fed Govt's political agenda.

Heard about this on ABC radio,not a good situation at all.
And I heard the Premier and Police commissioners ( nsw ) media speech both asking for calm etc,very sensible.
Out of interest I tuned to various commercial radio stations and the spin and hypothectical shit some are putting on it is staggering.
Which reinforces my regard for commercial journalism in this country to be lower than whale shit.
I hope this incident today doesn't bring the rednecks slithering out from their hiding places and cause trouble.

Back