• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

WTB - Stainless Steel Pot for first Stovetop AG BIAB (40-50L) please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers mate. Is what happens when an electric immersion element dies mid brew session. Wouldn't do it as normal, but certainly works in a pinch.

As an aside, do a search for maxi-BIAB and you can then get a cheap (around $20) 20L SS pot from Big W and still produce 20ish litres of beer.

I have looked at Maxi BIAB and it is a possible option. With a 40-50L pot I was planning only doing a 15-23 litre brew. Then move to larger batches outside using a gas burner.
Just so many things I need to get... Doing my head in!

You don't need a crapload of gear to start BIAB. Sure, it's nice and and it's awesome to have a few of the bits that simplify your brew day, but the best beer I've yet made was a stovetop BIAB and the most complex equipment I had was the bag and a 15 litre pot. All up I spent $30. It aint' the equipment, it's what you do with it, as my friend with an erroneously tiny dick used to say (and his very long-term girlfriend agreed!). I'm assuming you've looked at the stovetop BIAB threads? If not, here are the links:

Damn, didn't realize when NickJD got booted all his images in this thread went too. This is the one I learned BIAB from. It's great. The pictures helped, but the info is still there.

Here is the classic BIAB thread.

And HERE is the BIAB website, which is a truly excellent resource.

Thanks Mardoo. I have been reading a lot of articles and viewing many videos. I have a 15L pot and might consider Maxi or Mini BIAB but with a larger pot

Many people on the forums also suggest multiple answers and have differing views. Just trying to work out what suits...

I am basically wanting a larger pot (40L should do) so I can minimise any boilovers, and also have a pot that can then be used if/when my set up expands.

As my outside area is on a deck a keggle and burner may not be the best. However I am looking into cinder blocks and some tiles for brew day. Or it's to the carport I go.

Maybe an aluminium pot might have to do to start...

Use fired redbricks under your burner. You need to use fired bricks under the burner, not cinder blocks, otherwise they can split. Same deal with using your burner on concrete, you need fired bricks. That's what I use on a wooden table for now 'til I get my workbench sorted. Zero scorching, but watch it whenever the burner is on of course.

Also many folks brew with aluminum, including me. Just don't soak the pot with PBW or other alkaline cleaner. PM me if you want more detail.

Red bricks on top of a table you say. That could work. I think I have a table and a few bricks around...

I could possibly do wok burner stovetop for smaller batches and outside burner and keggle for bigger batches.

Yep. And please, like I said, watch it while the burner is on, just in case. Not that you're an idiot, but some people are. I use 8 bricks in a square so there's a brick width around each side of the burner.

I'm brewing Tuesday morning if you're in Melbourne and can come round.

I managed to get a pot and did some testing on a two burner stovetop wok burner.
50L Pot
21 Litres of water
45 Mins to get to 70 degrees C
Another 60 minutes to get to boil
Immersion chiller: about 30 litres of water in 45 minutes to get from 75C to 25C

Now I have a feeling my issue will arise on a bigger batch and using actual grains and making a wort.

Could I double up with an immersion heater element, or do I find a 4 ring burner with regulator and go outside?

I think the immersion heater is a lot simpler, however the gas has more flexibility. For example, if you are trying to boil 21L, the immersion heater might not be happy in that small amount of water. Plus, it's on 2400W the whole time, so will probably boil like crazy. Then once you step up your pot to 100L, the immersion heater won't be enough.

However, saying all that, for a single batch 50L pot, the immersion heater seems just right, and allows you very easy inside brewing. I have no regrets going this way yet.

I use to do use the stove top... I love that smell inside but I am not the cleanest brewer ... sanitary, but I tend to make a hell of a mess.

I was pushed to the great outdoors pretty quickly, and to be honest the gas burner and reg from kegking has been great for me... $120 with stand and reg is pretty good I reckon. I think that's how much it is... I get to boil very quickly. I think brew days are long enough as it is... anything to speed the process up is a plus for me.

Considering it is your first couple of batches though, there is nothing wrong with the stove top and using immersion heaters and the like, some people brew great beers on setups similar. have a crack and see how ya go and see what you like.

Weather you like it or not, from my experience, you never buy once and settle.. I'm constantly buying and upgrading.

good luck mate! :beerbang:

cheers guys.
Brewing tonight actually. Managed to borrow a 4 ring burner so will brew outside and see how we go.

• 5KG all grain Hoppy Golden Ale. (Magnum for bittering and Willamette for aroma) based on the Smurto golden with a few changes.
  • Don't have the grain bill on hand at the moment but hopefully it turns out with a nice sweet body with a bit of caramel notes.
  • 20L water to 70C, flame off.
  • Add grains and bag. Mash at 67C for 60 mins (stir every 15)
  • I am using a blanket or old sleeping bag to insulate the pot.
  • Remove brew bag after 60 mins and either dunk sparge or rinse/pour over with preheated water and squeeze
  • Heat up to the boil
  • Magnum hops (can't recall off the top of my head how many grams) at 60 and 45
  • Immersion chiiller at 10 mins
  • Willamette late in the boil and flame out.
  • Chill beer and stir a bit to help cooling.
  • Cool down to near pitching temp and whirlpool (wait 10 mins)
  • Siphon into fermenter and oxygenate wort
  • Pitch yeast and ferment

nice one mate - When I did BIAB i didnt need to stir every 15 mins, I figured that could just loose more temp. If you stir well at the beginning you should be able to leave it I would think.

Nothing wrong with a 60 min mash in BIAB but lately I have been doing 90mins and getting much better efficiency.

I think there was some discussion by some of the BIAB experts spouting the benefits of 90 min for BIAB

Going off the BIAB podcast Pat was basically saying that generally 3v or other AG brewers might have say a 60 mins mash and then a sparge but its basically 90mins of exposure of the wort to the grain. So if your going to loose that extra time you just make it up in the mash.

Back