• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

WTB - Stainless Steel Pot for first Stovetop AG BIAB (40-50L) please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwavz

Reaction score
Hello again,

Does anyone have a spare or pre-loved stainless steel pot I could acquire please?
This will be used for getting into all grain brewing using the BIAB method.

Ideally 40-50L in size with a tap.
Budget is around $80

Cheers,
Gwavz

Does it have to be stainless?

You can get cheap Aluminium ones on ebay

I have a handed down Keggle from charst who got it given to him by manticle I believe. Has two holes in it for tap and whatever else you need. Thermo well would work. Hole cut in the top. Yours for free if you want. Spend the money on a tap and thermo well and that's the 80 dollar budget met. Pickup would be either deer park or thornbury. Regards dave

Thanks for the quick replies
@jaypes I was been advised SS is better compared to aluminium for cleaning and brewing. Ideally SS is what I cam looking for.
@djar007 Thanks Dave. This may probably work... How would a keggle go on the stovetop? I have a wok burner on the stovetop that I was going to use. If I use a keggle would I have to use a burner and be outside? This may break bank...
@zooesk I have been looking on eBay and gumtreee and must be useless at searching or at least filtering.

Did I mention I wanted to get it for a brew on Saturday? Or is that too eager? :)

Any 50 litre pot on a stove top will be a strain. But the Keggle could work. Offer is there mate. Given the time frame to get it going options will be limited.

Keg on a stove top (or any 40 to 50L vessel) for biab? You must have high ceilings.

50 litres on a stove. This does not sound fun. Not sure how powerful the wok burner but it may struggle.

Your stove will struggle, I promise you, unless its a commercial cooker. Been there done that. Ended up fitting an elec element to my pot. In hindsight, at first, I wish bought an urn. Starting to settle now, with my alum pot and elec element.

I'd take the djar007's keggle, its the right price and a popular brewing pot.

I love the keggle if its still available. Have the full intention of fitting some kettle elements to one and using as a boil kettle anyway.

Take the keggle and source a burner. You should be able to scare up a three ring burner or Chinese spiral knockoff for well within your budget. Then just brew outside. I love backyard brewing!

Hey Gwavz

Just to relay my experience, in an ideal world I would also be advising against breweing with a 50lt pot on a stove top, but the reality is we all have different limitations to work under and thats exactly how Im brewing at the moment- I boil 30 odd litres in a 50lt pot on the wok burner of a standard 900mm cooktop. Yes, its a pain in the ass, it takes forever, has melted the little rubber feet under the cooktop grate, stinks out the kitchen (I think it smells lovely....) and generally pisses off the misses, but until I finaly finish my electric 3V setup (one day....) it works, and makes beer!

As a first step to get into all grain, grab a big ass pot, set aside the day, whack it on the stove, and proceed to stuff up most of the steps you previously worked out perfectly in your head!

Cheers

Baz

my 2 cents........

I single batch full volume biab on my stove top with a 36L pot size. I need to use 2 burners and it's a very gentle boil. I couldn't imagine trying anything larger.

Mate try way fair. Pretty good quality. That's were I got mine from. Only problem is its wide. If u ring them up up they will normally give u free delivery when u ask for a discount

I got the 88L wayfair ones too (2 of them). They look okay, about what they're worth to be honest, with some rough weld lines and scratchy spot welds, but they should do the job.

From memory the 88's were a bit over $100 each.

The walls are a bit on the thin side, so I'll be punching, not drilling, my holes where possible.

They are also very wide - about as wide as they are tall (around 50x50). This means a single batch will only be about 12-15cm high after the boil.

Really wanted some blichmann kettle proportioned pots, they look the business at about a 1.5:1 height to width ratio, but just couldn't find them (without all the attached blichmann bling and price tag, that is).

Mick.

Hrm, interesting

I was thinking to go with the 40-50L to do a 15-25L batch on the wok burner on the stove. Then I have a big pot for when I do get an outside burner or grow...

With all the above comments I think I should take the keggle and get an outdoor gas burner and reg... Might need a BBQ cover to cover it when not used.

Can be done, just don't let the mrs catch you!!

Edit: stupid phone, can't rotate pic.

image.jpg

Back