My First Ag (biab) And Also My First Ever Brew!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, the brew has been done! was a good day, felt a bit pressed for time, so was a little hectic and unorganized, but no major problems. had a few issues with temperature stability during the mash as i was brewing outside and the wind was pretty chilly, will have to look into some insulating material for my kettle. also had a pretty high evaporation rate during the boil as some people had predicted, so ended up with probably a liter or two less than the 23L i was aiming for. also when i was doing the recipe up in brewmate before hand i noticed that since my recipe was for 19L and i was planning to do a 23L batch, i needed to up my quantities of malt and hops to suit. also my siphon struggled towards the last 5L of the batch not sure why that was, but i had to pour it in through a sift and funnel into my no chill cube, so it would have splashed a little but it was over 3/4 full when i started doing that.

havn't transferred to the fermenter yet as i pulled the yeast from the FREEZER this afternoon, and then saw on the packed it says 'DO NOT FREEZE', so im going to pick up some more yeast tomorrow and it will just have to sit in the cube for another day. got a few pictures to upload soon too.

thanks again for everyones help! cant wait to drink it!

No biggies there Kyle, sounds like it was a breeze (pun intended)! Insulating the kettle thoroughly during mashing makes life pretty simple.
With frozen yeast, it is probably best to get some more, but with your wort in a cube you can take as long as you like with that. :icon_cheers:

Top stuff Kyle :icon_cheers: Sounds like you had a successful brew day.I wouldn't panic about anything,unless the mash temp was out of whack for a long time things will be fine.Same for the slight splashing,a minor issue IMO.Let us know how it goes,and congrats on your first AG :)

So I cracked open the first stubby thursday night, which I think was 11 days after bottling, a bit premature I know. A few things I found, the beer was under carbonated, i used 102g of raw sugar (same as cane sugar I think) for 19L, which I got from John palmers book. Will carbonation continue to improve? Also he beer is quite hazy, I'm thinking it might be because I used rolled wheat instead of flamed wheat.

In terms of flavour I think it's pretty good, slightly too much hop flavor/aroma and maybe a bit too bitter, the flavour drops off quickly, not much on the back palate. Though I'm thinking these flaws will smooth out with a bit more conditioning time. Thoughts?

Pictures from grain to bottle coming soon!

So I cracked open the first stubby thursday night, which I think was 11 days after bottling, a bit premature I know. A few things I found, the beer was under carbonated, i used 102g of raw sugar (same as cane sugar I think) for 19L, which I got from John palmers book. Will carbonation continue to improve? Also he beer is quite hazy, I'm thinking it might be because I used rolled wheat instead of flamed wheat.

In terms of flavour I think it's pretty good, slightly too much hop flavor/aroma and maybe a bit too bitter, the flavour drops off quickly, not much on the back palate. Though I'm thinking these flaws will smooth out with a bit more conditioning time. Thoughts?

Pictures from grain to bottle coming soon!

Chillax fella - try it again at 4 weeks and go from there...

Latest posts

Back