• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

WTB: Oxygen Setup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do the oxy turbo and the tradeflame have the same thread? I thought one of the issues with these disposable bottle systems was that they all had proprietary regulators.

TSMill said:
Do the oxy turbo and the tradeflame have the same thread? I thought one of the issues with these disposable bottle systems was that they all had proprietary regulators.
i think the oxy-turbo is a 12mm thread (M12) and the tradeflame is a 10mm (M10), so they would be different

Surely a brass metric reducer rated for the pressure would help to adapt?

Yes provided the adapter was specifically designed to pierce the top of the bottle.

Ahh shit OK, similar situation to the mini CO2 regs being adapted for soda stream. I'm looking into this so can perhaps ask same supplier re:eek:xy cylinder adaptors

The brewman one looks great for a complete set up with no stuffing around. Have one on the way, need to stop reading these threads before I go broke. I think I have spent more money on yeast related equipment in the last week than I did on total brewing equipment for the first 5 years of AG brewing.

I've been using the Brewman one now for about six weeks, and my brews have improved out of sight with vigorous fermentations and very few off flavours, probably as a result of better yeast health. For the price of four slabs of VB I didn't complain about the price.

Can anyone confirm what the inlet and outlet thread of regulator you get in the Brewman kit is? Also what pressure range it is capable of adjusting to?

I've got a nice accurate rota meter I'd like to use so if it's easily compatible with the Brewman kit I'll probably settle for that given all the great feedback and Ai was lucky enough to borrow TSMills for a batch a while back and it seemed to work well [emoji1]

I'm fairly sure its a 3/8 round faced union, pretty common outlet on industrial regulators.
Mark

Outlet is 3/8" BSP, inlet is whatever oxyturbo bottles are (M12 mentioned above).

Hey - noob question, but could you use a CO2 regulator for oxygenating wort? (Assuming you could make the connections work.)

I have the Harris 601, which is sold as a CO2 reg, but I know the Kegking MK II (and now MK III) are sold as multi-gas regulators.

I personally wouldn't risk it. Non oxygen-cleaned regulators and downstream equipment pose a risk of fire/explosion if there are lubricants, greases or any other contaminants inside. Search you tube for oxygen compatibility.

CO2 is stored at a much lower pressure than other compressed gasses, commercial O2 bottles are 2 mega Pascals, CO2 about 500 Kilo Pascals, 1/4 of the pressure.
When regulators are designed the pressure the work at is one of the design criteria, as is the gas CO2 is called an erosive gas, it will literally erode some metals...

For the relatively small investment you would be smart to use the right regulator, I learned this the hard way, had to get some Refrigerant Ammonia out of a bottle in a hurry, did a bit of a swift conversion to an O2 reg. Got the job done but the guts fell out of the regulator about a week later - the metal just crumbled up.

Be smart think about safety first.
Mark

Back