• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

WTB: LPG Burner & Regulator

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get it from winequip mate. None of the wind shield wank. I have the original one before they started with the wind shield and reinforcing and lp reg package. I've stood a double keggle on it and it's not budged. Beerbelly don't do that version any more but I believe winequip do. Remember Beerbelly one was about 95 bucks... + reg.

Cool ive sent an email to winequip for some pics and a quote. Sounds like its the most versatile.

I would have only been running the 4 ring on the LP reg. Ive seen ring burners with extra pressure it's just silly and scary!

Thanks guys for all the input!

Will report back with pics as I usually do :)

Sounds like you may have seen Demonsura's (Beerbelly fella) thread about various burners with various regs.

Very useful.

Haha no actually saw my own small 3 ring (not the usual soze 3 rings you get) and an adjustable reg as well as a 4 ring with an adjustable reg which has 20mm of clear gas/air mix out of the jets before flame when cranked up to max!!!

Have a look. He talks about a burner being too loud when neighbours come over and get concerned !

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Cool ive sent an email to winequip for some pics and a quote. Sounds like its the most versatile.

I would have only been running the 4 ring on the LP reg. Ive seen ring burners with extra pressure it's just silly and scary!

Thanks guys for all the input!

Will report back with pics as I usually do :)
Hey mate sorry I was a bit late with the previous reply. The spiral burner is pretty damn good with flame control on a standard low pressure BBQ reg, you can get it down to a domestic cooktop-type flame or have it turned all the way up, fair heat output and it'd do 20L batches no problems. A medium or high pressure regulator would be the ducks nuts though. No soot problems with mine so far.

Like Danwood suggested have a read of that thread that Domasura put together in which he tested out the various burners with different regs. It's pretty interesting to see the difference a higher pressure reg makes.

The place I was talking about was Cellar Plus in Epping (I think they've got a North Melbourne shop too?). Spiral burner (they called it a drago burner) with decent stand for $95 (or $90, sorry can't remember exactly). Standard *No Affiliation with them, etc etc*. I wouldn't be surprised if they're the same mob as Wineequip, they seem to have a few businesses running out of their stores.

The spiral burner you can get from one of the site sponsors is probably worth it if you want the nicer stand, otherwise the burner you can pick up in Melb will be fine.

Sucked it up and got the Drago italian spiral this afternoon from CellarPlus. Was $140 including stand and high pressure adjustable regulator. Will be brewing this saturday so will get some action shots and report back.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions fellas!

Sucked it up and got the Drago italian spiral this afternoon from CellarPlus. Was $140 including stand and high pressure adjustable regulator. Will be brewing this saturday so will get some action shots and report back.
Please do. Looking for a burner myself so I'm interested to hear your thoughts.

Cheers, Matt.

So the burner is great and the needle valve adjustment is perfect. The high pressure adjustable reg they talked me in to buying is not. I left it on the lowest setting for my brew day and turned the needle down a touch to get a get strong rolling boil.

Ill be taking the high pressure reg back and asking for the fixed low pressure intended for the burner and a refund of the difference. When turned up the high pressure blows the gas very hard and there is a big gap between the jet outlet and the start of the flame. The flow is turbulent and appears uncontrolled as in it could blow out any second (didnt run it long enough to see if this is the case). There is no question the heat output is insane! However it just doesnt seem safe and therefore useless as I wouldnt ever run it in that state. My 2 cents unless someone can explain how it is safe to run a gas burner on a pressure its not designed to do?

Photo of flame is the burner running at the adjustment to get me a good strong rolling boil.

1406451001343.jpg

1406451377154.jpg

1406451394250.jpg

That is the same reg as mine mate. It is only 0.5kg/hr higher flowrate than the lp regs and a small range of pressures, the real adjustable ones are crazy high.

You need to open up that air gap a bit to take advantage of the higher pressure. That is the silver collar over the shaft of the burner.

Higher pressure + needle valve on burner wound down + large air gap. That should give you a very blue consistent flame. It is very efficient that way.

Hmm ok, thanks for the input. I did eyeball that adjustable inlet for air and wondered but figured as the flame is perfect at the heat I need I wont touch. There is a slight bit of yellow so I might loosen that adjuster next saturday on brew day and have a play before taking it back. The reg with such small adjustments does seems impractical though wouldnt you agree?

I think the reg does just enough. Can't comment on what they were thinking but I put this reg on a normal wok burner and it was like supercharging the system. Definitely worth the 40 odd spent.

Just remember that higher pressure will cause a higher suction of air from the air inlet, the flame would be more oxygen rich and that is basically why you can turn the burner knob down as you are burning very efficiently. LP regs are locked to the max flow rate & pressure and you've got no room for adjustment, a bigger collar gap will do little compared to the same adjustment for the MP reg.

i find i just run my IT spiral at full blast with the standard BBQ lp reg
it get a good boil going but i would prefer some more heat for heat up to strike / boil etc

i would often throw in my over the side element to give the spiral a boost...

so i would prefer having a MP/HP to be able to up the heat sometimes

(i normally am all electric but sometimes still run the spiral on some brew days )

practicalfool said:
I think the reg does just enough. Can't comment on what they were thinking but I put this reg on a normal wok burner and it was like supercharging the system. Definitely worth the 40 odd spent.

Just remember that higher pressure will cause a higher suction of air from the air inlet, the flame would be more oxygen rich and that is basically why you can turn the burner knob down as you are burning very efficiently. LP regs are locked to the max flow rate & pressure and you've got no room for adjustment, a bigger collar gap will do little compared to the same adjustment for the MP reg.
So do you have your adjustable reg set to max always and have larger air intake with the the needle doing all flame adjustment work?

Perhaps ive jumped the gun and just need to have a play this coming brew day and go from there. I am known to get excited/impatient yada yada :p

Yes it is that one but appears to be sold out?

Further to the running at high pressure by assisting air intake. It seems to run well although there is *some* yellow at the top of the flame where it touches the keggle is that normal as long as the jets directly out of the burner are all blue?

Brewed twice on the weekend and my sunday brew I knocked out everything including clean up in 4hrs30min which has smashed all previous timings!!! Very happy.

Latest posts

Back