• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Wtb: Hlt - Urn Or Immersion Heater

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coodgee

Reaction score
Hi guys, as the topic suggests I'm looking for an urn with a thermostat to use as a HLT. If you have any other water heating device I might be interested in that too.

Most new hot water urns these days come with a temp control already built in.....but you prolly already knew that

Hi Coodgee,
I recommend you get the Courier Mail on a saturday and look in the weekend shopper in the general section, there is always heaps of stuff going there that can be used for brewing such as kegs, urns, cylindrical eskys etc etc..

cheers

Browndog

I bought a Crown 40Lt urn last week and it does an awesome job as a HLT for me. Dial up thermostat so its perfect.

I recommend this if your happy to pay a bit of dosh.

It cost me $285 and had a local chef type shop order it in from Crown for me.

Coodgee, if you can wait to find a 2nd hand one you'll save heaps. For a new 40L SS urn, expect to pay $250 upwards.

You could also consider whether you want to heat 40L in one batch or whether a smaller unit will do. For example, if you're not going to use in excess of 20L for either the mash or the sparge, then a 20L urn will do nicely - ie heat the sparge water while mashing. I recently picked up a 20L SS urn in excellent condition for $40.

Other places you can look for a 2nd hand one include: catering suppliers (most deal in 2nd hand), catering equip auctions, farm clearing sales and second hand shops.

Some alternatives to an urn might be small domestic/marine water heaters (eg office, boat, caravan types), wall mounted urns (esp at building demolitions), pharmaceutical heating units etc.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I am now the proud owner of a Birko 40L stainless steel urn with site tube. It looks brand new and I got it for less than half new price. stoked! I hate this emoticon but I'm going to use it now: :super:

check it out here: http://www.birkoheaters.com/pdfs/urns.pdf

now I can get serious!!!

Well done Coodgee, I use a 20L urn and though I have to fill it a couple of times to do a 21L brew, coupled with a dixcell temp controller, works great. Your 40L urn will be perfect. :D

cheers

Browndog

thanks mate. I'm going to have to do a brew tomorrow now. now where to get me some phosphoric acid...

Well done with the urn Coodgee. I use a 30 litre Birko but wouldn't mind a 40 litre.
Phos acid may be a little harder to access?
TTBOMK, it is only available from stock & station agents & comes in a 20 litre drum for around $80. At 2ml\1 litre of water that would last you a looong time. Perhaps find 3 others & split the drum. (5 litres each @$20). Well worth the trouble of finding in my opinion. Hope this helps?

:beer:

Back