• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Wtb : Corona / Sol Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gifts

Reaction score
Hi there guys any one in the brisbane area selling corona bottles at all? I am after about 3 cartons worth.

If you could help out that would be awsome

Corbo

why would you want clear bottles?

Leaves yourself open to skunking.

Not to mention the fact your beer may take on corona characteristics for no reason other than it is in a corona bottle! ;)

Each to their own I 'spose.

Why not go round to some of the pubs in the Valley and explain, they may give you access to their recycling bins maybe. Also the chinese restaurants that have byo, I was in the Thirsty Camel bottleshop at the Elephant and Wheelbarrow the other night and the sol was marching out of the door. Don't worry about poking around in the bins, just walk with a slight limp, wear an old flanellette and some thongs and mutter to yourself constantly and nobody will bat an eyelid :lol: :lol:

why would you want clear bottles?

Leaves yourself open to skunking.

Not to mention the fact your beer may take on corona characteristics for no reason other than it is in a corona bottle! ;)

Each to their own I 'spose.

I have roughly 2 dozen cantina bottles mixed throughout my collection, each batch gets 2-6 of these when I bottle, I use them to gauge how well the yeast is settling and also the prechilled colour.

I kept my full bottles in a bookshelf on it's back, covered by a sheet, under a table in a garage that rarely has the main door open, skunking is not a major concern for me.

I got a friend giving me 2 cartons worth of corona bottles and i'll use 'em for beer & cider. all my bottles are boxed up and then go straight into the fridge. i'm not concerned about skunking.

Skunking, as far as home brew goes, is pretty unlikely.

After all, how much UV does your brew see?
* Into the fermenter
* Into the bottles
* Stored in a box for aging
* Into the fridge for cooling
* Into a glass and into you and out the other end.

I've done it as a side-by-side blind test and the clear, brown and green bottles all tasted the same.

Just don't go putting them into a pail of ice outside in the sun on BBQ day. :)

Cheers - Fermented.

I've done it as a side-by-side blind test and the clear, brown and green bottles all tasted the same.

I take it this was with the bottles having proper handling....try repeating the test when they've had 20min in direct sun. :icon_vomit: Its an experience you're not likely to forget in a hurry. :lol:

Absolutely! Hence the note about "pail...sun...etc". :)

Heck - beer will skunk in the glass in the sun, even before it warms up.

Cheers - Fermented.

Heck - beer will skunk in the glass in the sun, even before it warms up.

True, had this happen and it's not nice...I only drink halves outdoors now.

Your point is well made, though....with the handling HB gets, the skunking isn't an issue if you take a little care. I use green glass, no problem, but I just can't bring myself to use clear, even though I know it will be allright because of how it will be stored....

The only reason I ran the experiment was because of the really big hounding clear bottles got in some other threads. I had some concerns so talked to Frank at Coopers who pointed out the glaringly obvious. My trust level was still low, so thought to test it. Sure enough, he was correct and the missus' Corona and Sol bottles have been pressed into service as back-ups during overstock periods.

Cheers - Fermented.

Newcastle Brown Ale pints have been in clear glass since 1928 but no danger of skunking in Newcastle on Tyne - I even had a mate whose little brother suffered from rickets (Lack of vitamin D due to no sun exposure :eek: )
scotswood.JPG

Don't really hear of Rickets out here, but it used to be fairly common in the industrial West Riding, as well. Thankfully Mrs Tatcher, with great foresight, put an end to that by cleaning up all that awfull polution that Mills and Pits put out. ;)

I know of at least one person in Australia who suffered from Rickets, he was a night shift worker, and only saw sunlight driving to work in summer......

As for skunked beer, dopey me sat my schooner on the windowsill while cooking dinner tonight (in full western sun) as my little assistant (read that as 2yr old demon child with a hobby of breaking daddy's stuff) can't reach there....It got rather well, interesting during the last two mouthfuls.

As for skunked beer, dopey me sat my schooner on the windowsill while cooking dinner tonight (in full western sun) as my little assistant (read that as 2yr old demon child with a hobby of breaking daddy's stuff) can't reach there....It got rather well, interesting during the last two mouthfuls.

As for skunked beer, dopey me sat my Pint on the HWS while Mashing (in full western sun) as my little assistant (read that as 40yr old fat ******* with a hobby of drinking Butters beer) won't notice it there....It got rather well, interesting during the last two mouthfuls.

Same story, with slight ammendments. :lol:

Maybe this user isnt wanting to bottle ber in them. Another thread indicates that they run a gift shop.

Anyway, what Bribie said, just rummage through some restaurant garbage bins. Cheaper than buying them.

And butters, you saying that your assistant got interesting after two last mouthfuls ? Brewing day over there sounds risque!

And butters, you saying that your assistant got interesting after two last mouthfuls ? Brewing day over there sounds risque!

Dude, thats just wrong....I was referring to the beer.

Sick'em, Muckey!

Back