• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

WTB Auber Pt100 RTD - 1.5" sensor 1/2" NPT

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mofox1

Wubba lubba dub dub!
Reaction score
Somehow the teensie tiny wire connecting the sensor chip *inside the probe* decided to break last brew. :huh:

Going to need another one of these:
PT100-L4012NPT.jpg

A Pt100 RTD probe from Auber, 1.5" probe, 1/2" NPT fitting.

Anyone got a spare lying around, or want to combine postage with some other items from Auber?

Also the dollar is a bitch right now.

Edit: Location for combined postage option - eastern burbs melbourne.

[SIZE=11pt]Couldn’t you pick up a new probe from ebay or did you particularly want that one from Auber? [/SIZE]

I could, but would need some rearranging and stuffing around. eBay has some 2" probes, but they won't fit in the side of the tee piece on the outlet of my HLT.

Can you go into the straight on the T piece and have wort come through the side? I did that on a setup. Unless you're hard-plumbed that might be an easy solution.

You can take it apart and resolder it. I have done one before.
There has to be enough wire to make a good solder joint.

Mardoo said:
Can you go into the straight on the T piece and have wort come through the side? I did that on a setup. Unless you're hard-plumbed that might be an easy solution.
'tis a possibility. I'd have to change the connector on the the ends of my leads though. Still, it's only ~$15 vs $80 for the Auber once postage is added in.

Crouch did a similar thing in his setup.

booargy said:
You can take it apart and resolder it. I have done one before.
There has to be enough wire to make a good solder joint.
Bupcus I'm afraid, it broke off at the sensor. I had considered trying to replace just the sensor chip (you can get them on eBay - but the ones I found were too large). I don't really rate my chances with this option...

Wtf is the sensor chip? I've pulled mine apart to re-solder and all I recall seeing was a couple of wires within the probe?

Not that it matters much but rather than a sensor an rtd is really just a variable resistor in that temperature change causes resistance change which is then indicated and acted upon by display/controls. Rejoining wouldn't really be recommended as any joint will create some amount of resistance changing the reading. The better the joint the less impact though.

Hmmmm my probe has been a little temperamental of late and the removable connector is getting loose. Let me know if you go the auberins path and I'll jump in for one.

Hoploader said:
Not that it matters much but rather than a sensor an rtd is really just a variable resistor in that temperature change causes resistance change which is then indicated and acted upon by display/controls. Rejoining wouldn't really be recommended as any joint will create some amount of resistance changing the reading. The better the joint the less impact though.
Yeah - I know... sensor is just easier to say than the above... :)

Decided to just bite it and purchase the drop in replacement part from auber... too many projects on the go at the moment. If bought the eBay one it would be more forking around with cables... bleugh.

You don't actually need to get one imported if you've not pulled the trigger yet. Any Pt100 RTD should be fine. It's just Platinum element, that measures 100 ohms at 0℃, the only issue being probe length, diameter etc. Electrical wholesalers, RS Components, whatever Farnell call themselves now, (Element14 possibly?).

Hoploader said:
You don't actually need to get one imported if you've not pulled the trigger yet. Any Pt100 RTD should be fine. It's just Platinum element, that measures 100 ohms at 0℃, the only issue being probe length, diameter etc. Electrical wholesalers, RS Components, whatever Farnell call themselves now, (Element14 possibly?).
Nah - trigger has been pulled. Was an almost visceral pain knowing that something on the beloved liquid amber system wasn't working.. :)

With the Auber one, I can just replace the probe component, and don't have to change layout or cables / connections.

Hey Mofox, was this the sensor with the split tip? If so it lasted awhile, if not that sucks.

Nope. That one was still going strong with a bead of silicone on it!!

Just transferred the good sensor to the good probe so I can use it in my HLT (w/ coil).

The other probe was just measuring the mash outlet temp which is pretty useless except for seeing how far the mash bed lags the return.

Gold! I'm still a few weeks off brewing so if you're desperate you can borrow my sensor or even a 1/2" plug if needed. That said, Auber's delivery times were pretty quick from my experience.

Latest posts

Back