• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

WTB 2200W Keg King Element - Sunshine Coast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Engibeer

Reaction score
G'day,

I'm chasing a 2200W keg king element - all the home brew shops seem to be sold out.

I had one mounted in my kettle and it died.

Stock is not expected until mid September. I can't wait a month to brew!

Cheers

How long have you had the element? These have a habit of doing this (though mines still going strong, touch wood) and many have been replaced by KK without question. But check out the in depth thread especially towards the end where some alternatives are recommended - the Fivestar look like a worthy replacement. I believe Online Brewing Supplies and Fullpint are stocking some nice elements now too. (I've been doing my research recently as I'm sure my element can't deny it's fate forever)

Engibeer said:
G'day,

I'm chasing a 2200W keg king element - all the home brew shops seem to be sold out.

I had one mounted in my kettle and it died.

Stock is not expected until mid September. I can't wait a month to brew!

Cheers
Don't bother buying a second hand one as that will probably blow up aswell. Cant you borrow a gas burner from someone until you find a decent replacement?

Engibeer said:
Anyone had any experience with these elements?

http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=4616
I use one for boiling other products, and it has never played up. I'm not sure how they would be for watt density at lower mash temperatures though, but I guess they do heat from room temperature all the way until hot but just not the same as when we are converting a mash. They can corrode into place after time so if you have some anti-seize handy throw some on the thread before mounting it.

edit: I would probably ask craftbrewer themselves as I expect they have had experience with it, and they would let you know how it went.

pilgrimspiss said:
http://www.aussiebrewmakers.com.au/retail_catalogue_page/60800_item.html

I've run 4 of the new ones for HLT and BK heating. Havent had a problem in 15 brews so far with any of them.

Clean them after use. Easy to install.
The 5 star ones with the guards look hot diggety though.

Cheers
Matty
Looks like a keg king one, does it have a logo on it? Either way I suspect it may result in the same issue as it has the same design fault. Not all 100% of the Keg King ones die, it is just too many do die.

I was thinking along the same lines Kev, the actual element looks the same!

Wasn't the initial problem with the keg kings that the wiring wasn't supported?

Oh well. You live and you learn. I run one of these in my RIMS tube and never had a drama with that either.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HOT-WATER-TANK-SCREW-TYPE-HEATING-ELEMENT-3600W-1-BSP-/261234401883?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3cd2c8a25b&_uhb=1

I think good regular maintenance goes a long way with elements and also being reasonably thoughtful about where you install it and how you treat it.
I.E. Don't bend your wiring, Don't get the connections wet. Quick clean after every use. Good clean after every 3rd use. Ensure it is in LIQUID when operating.
If you dry boil it don't expect it to be the same again.

Look after your equipment it will look after you hey!

Cheers
Matty.

My understanding of the Keg King element is the wiring has a join at the base of the element under the white stuff. As with all joins there is some resistance introduced and causes the wiring to heat up. As all joins do even the plugs on the cord to my brewery get warm to touch. In this case it has been encased in the white shit so it cannot lose the heat. Hence it gets hotter and hotter and starts melting, allowing the cables to touch resulting in the bang.

sp0rk said:
I would be (and will be) going with one of the 5 Star elements
http://www.5stardistilling.net/weldless-2400w-element-guard/
I've heard nothing but good things about them
You can also get it without the guard here, if you want to make your own enclosure for it
http://www.5stardistilling.net/weldless-2400w-element/
Thanks sp0rk

These look bloody awesome, I think I'll get the one with the guard.

Cheers,

Matt

pilgrimspiss said:
http://www.aussiebrewmakers.com.au/retail_catalogue_page/60800_item.html

I've run 4 of the new ones for HLT and BK heating. Havent had a problem in 15 brews so far with any of them.

Clean them after use. Easy to install.
The 5 star ones with the guards look hot diggety though.

Cheers
Matty
Thanks Matty,

Unfortunately I had emailed them and they sold the last one on Friday!

Was going to say - I don't think you'll find 2nd hand Keg King elements because most would blow before anyone has a chance to sell them.

Do yourself a favour and don't consider replacing them.

onlinebrewingsupplies's 2400W and 3600W elements are both excellent units which I highly recommend (I can't confirm if they'd bolt straight in). A while back I spoke to Ross about the copper element mentioned above and he said he's had no returns and good reports about them. I'd trust his advice.

3600W is what I use for a 28 litre boil (for 23l in the fermenter) and it goes nuts. Scarce would be a pot which boils with more vigour.

booargy said:
3600w is not needed for 23l
I understand this as I was quite comfortably brewing 23L batches with 2200W, however if I choose to upgrade my pot I thought it might be worthwhile having a 3600W element.

I think TheWiggman has answered my question...?

Never had a boil over mate?

Has anyone with the latest revision of the Keg King element had any issues? I was under the impression that the problems had been sorted. I know mine appears to be fine so far.

I have 3600W in my kettle and its perfect for 28L batches that I do, gets 40L to a good rolling boil and reasonably quickly. Never had a boil-over.

Boil over every $%^&ing brew. After about 5 mins of monitoring it, switching it off maybe 3 times and constantly stirring it's fine for the remainder of the boil
Has made quality beer but :icon_cheers:

Frothie - my one was the latest iteration and it lasted 4 brews. Amusingly I replaced it with a $7.50 kettle element with much more success.

Latest posts

Back