• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

WTB 150 to 300 litre 3V brew rig

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drtablet

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm looking to up scale my beer production and I'm looking for some bigger pots and burners (with stands and pump and tubes etc).
I guess the only people selling used 100 to 300 litre gear would be people upscaling themselves to even bigger.
Please let me know if you have anything like this for sale.
many thanks
Craig (Blue Mountains NSW)

Craig, 300L?

Is it possible you have a drinking problem?

You'll be pushing it to find brewers upscaling as you suggest!

I reckon you're better off doing what I did a few years back:
1. made a 200l mash tun out of a hdpe drum wrapped in armaflex or similar. Bought massive braid from earls hoses & fitted it using a T piece & hose barbs. Total cost about $70 & a couple of hours effort
2. bought a 170l ss pot from fallsdel $300ish + a few bucks to buy a tap that screwed directly onto the existing fitting
3. already had a 2 ring HP burner & adjustable HP reg from gameco (it came with a sturdy stand) cost about $170 (If i did it again I'd go the italian spiral & HP reg)
4. picked up an industrial gas hot water service cheap. I had to wait ages to find this, but keep an eye on the auction sites & gumtree. I use it to replace a HLT for mash & sparge liquor, as it will output at 70*c cost $400 + a new controller @ about $50.

nb this didn't include the cost of running water to the shed or the plumber installing the HWS.

Have a crack - its pretty easy to make kit & frugality will open your eyes to options. One thing to remember - you have a hell of a lot of hot liquid to move around. Use gravity where you can (my mash tun is on a bench & the kettle goes on the floor) as well as pumps to keep safe & protect your back. If you're lucky you may find a nice SS 44 gal drum you can use as a kettle.

Have a look through the ISB threads for pics of the big brew days at my place. we used this kit to knock out 600l of belgian wort a few years back. two mashes each producing 2 x 150l batches - gotta love partigyle! 125kg grain + 25kg belgian candi. Actually I think we did that before I found the HWS!

communal brewing is awesome. everyone brings gear & helps out as well as brings beers to share / evaluate. having a big rig makes club brew days much easier - in some ways!

beers
croz

Thanks Croz,
That sounds really great and its inspiring to know someone has made all this work. Certainly I'm on a tight budget.
I'll love the idea of a 70C HWS off the mains gas, I've heard of breweries doing this before.
I'm off to look at your pics now.
Is your system still running?
thanks
Craig

@drtablet,

Hope you found the pics.

It's pretty easy to piece together. The biggest expense is probably the kettle - big pots aren't cheap. See if you can find someone who uses GNS 9grain neutral spirits) - it comes in nice SS drums with a spring clamp lid ;-) if you find some let me know.

definitely get a decent burner & adjustable reg - that way you can start with a smaller system & upgrade components as they become available / affordable. i started out by modifying a 70l esky & a borrowed 100l kettle - using the same burner & reg I use today. i originally used an old 40l laundry copper as my HLT - a mate gave it to me when he bought an old house. I replaced the pipework & rewired it for a minimal amount. As i say - keep your eyes open & consider how things can be re-purposed

I could probably get away with a mash tun half the size & still fill my kettle, but then big brew days wouldn't be the same ;-)
As you're on a budget, Instead of armaflex, buy camp mats from vinnies or the salvo's to use as insulation. The silver backed bubblewrap I used was $5 a roll at Reverse Garbage.

In relation to the HWS, before getting mine, I was going to build a monotube / flash boiler to achieve the same thing. I think I still have the basic gas instant HWS i picked up at a garage sale that i was going to modify. When I looked at it I realised how inefficient it is. By simply adding some more copper piping in the direct heat path & adjusting the water flow based on the temp on the output, 70*c would be easily achieved. not as fancy as a propper unit - but lots cheaper.

As I was working away from home for 18 months, my rig hasn't been used in anger for a while. That said I have been developing further enhancements eg a HERMS using a 19l keg and a grain mill using a paper shredder cabinet & motor to chain drive a schmiddling malt mill. I have some wood working to finish up before I can get it out again.

beers
croz

Keg king do have 200l pots if this helps, not sure on price tho

Back