Worst, Longest Brew Day Ever.... With Pics

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lord Raja Goomba I

Prisoner of Sobriety
Reaction score
I'm home from work sick. :blink: So I thought I'd post Sunday's disaster brew day.

I put down my house APA, as the kegs are empty, on Sunday.

I decided after the "ghetto" bucket in bucket things to try some new stuff out/amend my system for the hell of it (and to reduce trub losses).

Trouble is, I didn't get down to bunnings to buy two buckets, so I thought "I'll use a fermenter and a sieve, how hard can it be?"

Now, anyone that knows me/has seen my posts (and my extra stuff on Nick_JD's under $30 AG thread), knows I BIAB with 2 pots on the stovetop. This method renders great beer (and a full sized batch), and I can get a brew day sorted in about 3.5-4hrs, which isn't too bad.

Big caveat is: I changed something for the sake of change. My fault. The reason for this post is that sometimes we change things and experiment with things and they just go wrong. However, I won't give up on trying to change/improve my technique. And maybe a little to warn people of what I've done. And that I'm not too precious to put my head on the idiot chopping block. As Nick_JD says "why make something simple, more complicated" - I did just so, and it backfired.

And pics are always good - means not too much reading.

Okey dokey:

I decided to use one of my many spare 25L bunnings fermenters as a "lauter tun". I figured a slow lautering would be good for efficiency. I have a 25L esky, the same as Liam's on the BABBs system wars video.

So I mashed in to the esky. Empty esky post mash pictured:

IMG_0348.jpg

Stein that I used to get mashed grains into "lauter"

IMG_0353.jpg

I drained the liquor from the grains using my "lauter"

IMG_0347.jpg

The pot below is my missus' 9L pasta pot, with the strainer and some mosquito wire. The reason for this is that I could drain half the liquor off, put it into pot 1, and keep the other half in there. When Pot 2 sparge water went in, transfer other half of liquor into 2nd pot. This means I don't have one pot with "dense" liquor and the other with thin, runny liquor.

IMG_0349.jpg

Pot 2 on the stove heating sparge liquor:

IMG_0351.jpg

This was the first mistake. Liquor took forever to drain off.

Sparge water went in (no pic).

Took forever to drain off. I split it between the two pots evenly.

Then recirculated. This took forever.

Finally after many hours of unattended lautering (I got bored and watch the telly), the pots went onto the stove as normal.

Snapshot_20110805_2.jpg

Hops measured out: Yellow is 30 minute addition, blue is 10 minute:

IMG_0352.jpg

Positives and Lessons Learned:

I'm a stronger believer that you learn more from your failures and mistakes, than successes; and that true successes are achieved from true failures.

Positives were:

Trub losses were significantly less than normal, less break and clearer liquor (and therefore wort). Enough to make me consider doing this again, in the conventional sense.

The thing is with the 2 pot system, if you have break, you have it twice. Reducing losses is a good thing. Granted - it's probably only $2 worth of grain to increase grain to counter, but it's always worth getting more beer.

At least I could watch telly, as the stream of liquor from the "lauter" was steady and consistent.

Sparging was waaaaay easier than my pot method. Pot method pic as below:

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x328/f..._20110805_1.jpg

If the draining had been quicker, sparging would have been a cinch.

Far less mess than trying to sparge two bags or drain two bags.

Lessons learned:

Bucket in bucket is better. There is a reason with a bucket with a million holes is used. You want a steady stream of liquor coming out, not waiting forever for one.

I will build a bucket in bucket lauter.

I hope this helps someone - either by not making my mistake or someone that's made their own mistake not to give up.

Peace out, y'awl, I'm going to lie on the couch and watch Dora the Explorer. :lol:

Goomba

But with nothing ventured, nothing is gained.

How much longer did the brew day actually take?

7 extra hours :excl: , wow. ok.

So total around 11 hours then.

I managed 4 back to back brews all within a 14 hour (I think) period a while back. That was an epic day though.

7 extra hours :excl: , wow. ok.

So total around 11 hours then.

I managed 4 back to back brews all within a 14 hour (I think) period a while back. That was an epic day though.

Yup - why the worst and longest ever.

The big thing though, is the clear wort, less break and the easy of lautering, in a vessel made for it, really speaks well.

This was a step to move from BI2BOTS (Brew in 2 bags on the stove) to 2 pots on the stove, to a sort of 2V system in a ghetto sense, using the 2 pots on the stove.

Despite failure - I think the system would work.

Epic day - 14 hours - but 4 brews from it would have been satisfying.

Goomba

Seemed like a good idea at the time, hey :p
That's why I gave up on lautering. I got excellent results, hardly any loss to trub etc, but when RdeVjun and I did a RIS we started about 4pm and were still going at 11.30, and the cleanup the next day was fearful.
If lautering was my only option I'd probably just migrate to cartons of Oettinger :blink:

Seemed like a good idea at the time, hey :p
That's why I gave up on lautering. I got excellent results, hardly any loss to trub etc, but when RdeVjun and I did a RIS we started about 4pm and were still going at 11.30, and the cleanup the next day was fearful.
If lautering was my only option I'd probably just migrate to cartons of Oettinger :blink:

I've ruined my palate for Oettinger.

Yeah - up til 1am. PRobably why I'm sick now and home from work.

I reckon I'd save some time lautering (clean up isn't bad - it's easier to dump the grain from the lauter in the bin, than rinsing loose grains from a bag), so long as the vessel I used didn't take too long.

I think for something like the barleywine I'm planning after the kegs are filled - it's almost mandatory - given it's a high grav bier.

Goomba

I make high gravity beers half the volume. Works out well for me because I can't handle having too much of big beers - I end up getting hangovers - and they're always so delicious, they make other beers seem pathetic.

I make high gravity beers half the volume. Works out well for me because I can't handle having too much of big beers - I end up getting hangovers - and they're always so delicious, they make other beers seem pathetic.

I like Jamil's take on big beers: they're lots of work, they often need to age, and by the time they peak, you've already drunk half of it, so brew a double batch. :)

T.

Why didnt you put a slotted copper tube in the bottom of the esky and just lauter in there?

tnd

Why didnt you put a slotted copper tube in the bottom of the esky and just lauter in there?

tnd

Because it has no tap to allow anything to flow out - I'd already though of it. And as I mentioned at the start, I used only what I had lying around, because I hadn't gone to bunnings, which is where I would have obtained the copper tube in question (and the actual lauter tun, which would have solved all this).

If you'd read the caveat - you'd have noticed that I am owning up to mistakes made by not doing it the "right" way.

Goomba

Ah, an esky without a tap.

You could have drilled holes in the bottom of the fermenter

cheers

tnd

I wanted to use the fermenter, as a fermenter in the future.

The idea was to use existing equipment, not ruin/touch/drill/alter anything and just see if it was possible to lauter in existing equipment without any modification.

The answer is "yes", but it takes a long time.

You do know its bad practice to use a fermenter as a "grain bin" then as a fermenter don't you?

cheers

tnd

Latest posts

Back