Worst Comerical Beer You Had

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rest my case re:Red Barrel by Grotneys. How the hell did you come up with this? LUV IT!!!
saw it at the movies when it first came out. was also the first time i'd ever heard of watneys red barrel.
if you want a brits pretending to be aussies having a spray at fosters and american beers, try this, monty python again, hollywood bowl

supplied by dept of philosophy, university of woolloomooloo

Last edited:
So many contenders, and it depends on criteria. China's Sun is sweet and nearly devoid of hop flavors. In the US Budweiser Select, their ultra-low calorie beer, is so devoid of taste it makes Great Northern seem like a flavour bomb. For nasty off-tastes I'd give VB honourable mention, but I came of age on very cheap US beers (3 quarts for a dollar) that seem to have been bottled and sold fresh, meaning right out of the fermenter. Most of them used the same wort for an ale (cream ale) that was drinkable and for a lager that did unspeakable things in the rear of your mouth.

Sorry, Brits, I had Watney's Draft, Red Barrel and Red several times, and to my tastes they don't quite make the Roll of Shame.

You're correct they did make a decent drop, the beginning of the end was a product (I'm not going to call it beer) called "Red Barrel" lots of hype and advertising but just a mega swill, and once the campaign for real ale got under way it was doomed.
Whitbreads was another long standing brewery ruined by takeovers, I had a pint of Worthington White Shield about 4 years ago, highly carbed, from a keg and about 2 or 3 C, terrible, that was the only beer I had when I was in the UK which wasn't from a cask apart from the take aways.
003.JPG

But guess what, Watneys is back. Though it is in name only.
https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2...th-as-owners-seek-40000-through-crowdfunding/

Last edited:
Just had the coopers XPA. Have to say very disappointed. Its not a half way between a pale ale and an IPA. Its like a pale ale but sadder. I wouldn't know the Lemondrop is in there if I hadn't read it.

Smells like malt, but not in a good way. Has that cheap malty smell to it like a crownie almost.

Really disappointed after having a Balter XPA which was genuinely nice.
20200829_170333.jpg
20200829_170224.jpg

Worthington WS on TAP! "sobs quietly" It used to be a bottle conditioned beer in clear glass, and a lovely drop, albeit a tad expensive, Oh well the price of progress I suppose. Otherwise known as a race to the bottom.
I was a manager for Whitbreads for a while back in the day and their "Tankard" and "Trophy" bitters were not dissimilar to Red Barrel or "Double Diamond" another over hyped swill by Ind Coope a conglomerate that bought up small breweries and then reduced their once highly prized ales to pap for the masses, thank god Theakstons held out. I'm quite depressed now just thinking about it, I might need some liquid comforting, ????????????????? (that's me thinking) bugger it! It is after all Saturday night.

I decided after much consideration, on UBER! comfort. A barley wine from my "SPECIAL" fridge, hidden at the back of my garage and set to 12 deg's (old school cellar temp) As the red wine glass attests (wine glasses reserved for 10%+) it's 10.5% vintage 2018.
First pic didn't really do it justice so judicious use of led torch to show colour on second pic.
Feeling a bit better now, might be an early night though.🙃

Attachments

• BW.jpg
    BW.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 20
  • BW Colour.jpg
    BW Colour.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 20
equally southwark, i think from the same beer strike LOL, and emu bitter at the same time. our little gang called southwark 'vom-ark'. and westend.
Funny you should say that. I drank Southwark White once and decided it was one of the best beers going round. But sixteen-year-old me on a School trip to Adelaide was probable going to think 12 stubbies of anything that wasn't West End was great.

Worthington WS on TAP! "sobs quietly" It used to be a bottle conditioned beer in clear glass, and a lovely drop, albeit a tad expensive, Oh well the price of progress I suppose. Otherwise known as a race to the bottom.
I was a manager for Whitbreads for a while back in the day and their "Tankard" and "Trophy" bitters were not dissimilar to Red Barrel or "Double Diamond" another over hyped swill by Ind Coope a conglomerate that bought up small breweries and then reduced their once highly prized ales to pap for the masses, thank god Theakstons held out. I'm quite depressed now just thinking about it, I might need some liquid comforting, ????????????????? (that's me thinking) bugger it! It is after all Saturday night.
Plus those swallowed up by Bass, I wonder if the pubs would be closing at the rate they are if all the breweries had have been left alone
006.JPG

Whitbreads was another long standing brewery ruined by takeovers, I had a pint of Worthington White Shield about 4 years ago, highly carbed, from a keg and about 2 or 3 C, terrible, that was the only beer I had when I was in the UK which wasn't from a cask apart from the take aways.
View attachment 118919
But guess what, Watneys is back. Though it is in name only.
https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2...th-as-owners-seek-40000-through-crowdfunding/
interesting historical photo. at least 2 of the ladies look anglo-indian (british with indian descent, born in india), or equally, indian britons (indian with british descent, born in uk). a studio shot, so probably never know. leaning to a studio in india (so anglo indian), from the bottle size (transport). but then, are they bottles or earthen?? could probably run an entire thread on this photo, thumbs up:)

I decided after much consideration, on UBER! comfort. A barley wine from my "SPECIAL" fridge, hidden at the back of my garage and set to 12 deg's (old school cellar temp) As the red wine glass attests (wine glasses reserved for 10%+) it's 10.5% vintage 2018.
First pic didn't really do it justice so judicious use of led torch to show colour on second pic.
Feeling a bit better now, might be an early night though.🙃
Oh man that looks delicious.

Plus those swallowed up by Bass, I wonder if the pubs would be closing at the rate they are if all the breweries had have been left alone
View attachment 118927
refer my previous post, that earthenware decanter at the foot of the brewer on the right - is about the same size as the vessels on the worthington photos of the ladies. where on earth did you get these fantastic photos?? is there social history research on this?? love the beer crates

Last edited:
refer my previous post, that earthenware decanter at the foot of the brewer on the right - is about the same size as the vessels on the worthington photos of the ladies. where on earth did you get these fantastic photos?? is there social history research on this?? love the beer crates
Another oldie, each year Bass treated its workforce to a day at the sea side.Each workman was given 2/6d and a days wages the foreman 5 shillings. In 1900, 11,241 employees and their families travelled to Blackpool on 17 trains this photo is of some of those on the 12th train.
008.JPG

These books are the source of the photos with some interesting reading.
001.JPG

And to keep it on topic Busch's new release.
1598692711858.png

Funny you should say that. I drank Southwark White once and decided it was one of the best beers going round. But sixteen-year-old me on a School trip to Adelaide was probable going to think 12 stubbies of anything that wasn't West End was great.
i am pretty sure that what i drank was just called southwark. perhaps 'white' is a different brewery line. the southwark i drank was no better than the west end, so perhaps. i'm sure a local can clear this up.

Another oldie, each year Bass treated its workforce to a day at the sea side.Each workman was given 2/6d and a days wages the foreman 5 shillings. In 1900, 11,241 employees and their families travelled to Blackpool on 17 trains this photo is of some of those on the 12th train.
View attachment 118930

These books are the source of the photos with some interesting reading.
View attachment 118931
And to keep it on topic Busch's new release.
View attachment 118932
so what were the headlines?? 12000 drunks descend on blackpool?? LOL (Beatles: 12000 holes in blackburn, lancashire)
got all the titles, authors off your photo. appreciate it. all the men in baggy caps (bar 1) are quite young, those with more expensive boaters generally 30-50, and only 2 men with a bowler or higher more expensive hat (probably of some company importance). there's a lot in some of these pics. oh, and probably a widow, black hat, apparently with no males accompanying.
i'll run these (and a search) through my library cos i can download most publications. gives me food for thought for research

Last edited:
I always used to say Kingfisher from India, but then someone (who is still alive) brought me a can of this, I think it was a practical joke not a deliberate insult.
View attachment 118910
Just so many things wrong. One review I read described it as a glass of sea water with a used tampon and a twist of lime. Not being personally familiar with taste of 1 of the preceding, but the rest was spot on so I'll take his word on the balance.
Avoid at all costs - not even with a 3AM kebab.
Mark
you've never drunk seawater?? :eek:

so what were the headlines?? 12000 drunks descend on blackpool?? LOL (Beatles: 12000 holes in blackburn, lancashire)
got all the titles, authors off your photo. appreciate it. all the men in baggy caps (bar 1) are quite young, those with more expensive boaters generally 30-50, and only 2 men with a bowler or higher more expensive hat (probably of some company importance). there's a lot in some of these pics. oh, and probably a widow, black hat, apparently with no males accompanying.
i'll run these (and a search) through my library cos i can download most publications. gives me food for thought for research
You can easily get drawn in looking at the old photos of horse drawn drey's, barrels of cask beer going to the public houses, idyllic country scenes. Unsuspecting of the horrors to come.
004.JPG

Worst beer I ever tasted was Colt 45 in the U.S. Around 1980. It tasted like it had sat in the sun for a week in a clear bottle. If I remember correctly it cost about 25 cents a quart. And that was a ripoff. Next worst was Coors. Tasted like watered down rice. Foul. The only decent beer was a Miller's Old Style we tried in Chicago.
Not good but not bad. So glad for all our American friends and for us that the Craft beer industry took off in the U.S.

if you want a spray on watneys red barrel, try this, youtube, monty python at the hollywood bowl

OT: They say that travel broadens the mind, but clearly not for a lot of tourists to judge by all the Watneys Red Barrel and "Bratwurst mit Bier" signs you see in the tourist traps of Kuta and Phuket. Why travel to the other side of the world to eat the same food and drink the same beer as you do at home? You might as well stay home and watch travel programs on the TV.

Back