Worms-biab

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nala

Reaction score
Before I begin my topic can I say that I have no particular skills as a DIY'er no computer skills and even less brewing skills.
I read the AHB forums religiously every day and and very impressed with those members who have the skills to make things to help them improve their brewing ability, recently I saw that a member is making a copy of a Speidel Braumeister,
I have neither the necessary skills or the tools to make a start.
A friend has bought a Braumeister and although I have not seen it in operation he is very well pleased with his purchase.
I have seen a video on Youtube and have got the basic gist of what the Braumeister does :

a:- recirculates the wort by pumping through a malt tube,cascading by overflow to the pump,being heated to the required mashing temperature and recirculating for the required time - all by computer control.

b:- ability to be programmed to step mash at any given temperature.

c:- boil the extracted wort and produce a very clear wort ready for fermentation.

I thought about this and wondered whether I could achieve the same with my BIAB set-up by introducing a pump and a mashing temperature controller.

I have given it a go and will reveal my results, worts and all, for you to see and hopefully get some advice as to how I can improve on what I have made, as I said previously I have limited tools and little skill so I have used Bunnings as my source of supply for the most part. The STC temperature controller I already have to control my fridge the pump
I bought from the UK for about $47 delivered to Australia.

IMGP0743.JPG

IMGP0744.JPG

IMGP0754.JPG

Pictures shows water being pumped through sparge ring.

IMGP0745.JPG

This was made from Bunnings soft copper coil fashioned into a circle to fit inside the Crown Urn,
a "T" piece soldered with an upright extension, a further circle was made and soldered with a "T" piece to ceate
the inner circlce sparge ring. I drilled holes 2mm dia around the inside of both circles as wort spray outlets,
the short upright connects to the pump via a flexible tap connector.
The existing tap on the Crown Urn was reconnected to a 1/2 NPT thread "T" and the other outlet connected via
a flexible tap connector to the pump, I chose flexible connectors as this create a good seal without the use of tools
to create a leak free joint and have proved easy to clean after use.

IMGP0753.JPG

This shows a Trivet and a Trivet support, the trivet support was again made from soft copper tube and is designed
to suspend the trivet above the base of the boiler to stop any chance of bag burn, I actually put it on 3 legs and made
it high enough so that the trivet is above the drain tap hole, this stops the bag being sucked into the hole and blocking the pump, I soldered end stops onto the feet to seal the whole trivet support. I think all BIAB'ers should make one of these

This a transfer tube I made from the leftover piece of copper pipe it is connected to a leftover piece of 1/2 NPT all thread, it is made long enough to stand on the bottom of the cube when I transfer the no chill wort from the HLT.
Avoids this risk of scalding and requires no hands when transferring.

IMGP0750.JPG

I will be trying out the WORMS-BIAB system tomorrow, hope all goes well, I will let you know whether or not !

For no skills looks pretty good to me.

Someones being modest.

Look forward to hearing the result.

awesome, good work :super:

cheers matho

nice job, interested to see how the first brew goes.
all it needs is a malt pipe.

Yard

Hate to say it dude, but whilst you may not have had DIY skills when you started this project, you certainly do now. Looks great.

Sure look a lot more handy than me.

Can I ask where you got the trivet/cake rack thing? I have been keeping an eye out but so far havent found one for my urn around perth (I found a black painted one but am unsure if this will be ok in the mash).

Sure look a lot more handy than me.

Can I ask where you got the trivet/cake rack thing? I have been keeping an eye out but so far havent found one for my urn around perth (I found a black painted one but am unsure if this will be ok in the mash).

This one I got from Kitchen Witch in Mandurah $9 it is 32cms dia.
The other I got from a camping shop also in Mandurah a bit heavier guage metal but cost $12.

Rockin'. Looking forwards to hearing how it works out!
Where are you measuring the wort temperature?

From what I've heard, the STC temp probe is not water proof, how have you overcome this?

I would certainly look at introducing a thermowell for the STC probe. I use one in my HLT inside a thermowell.

That looks really impressive nala.

It'll make beer for sure!

Very nicely done. Only issue I can see is that because you're using a bag, as soon as you lift the bag you will lose any clarity you achieved during the recirculation process.

Looks fantastic. Agree with Mark though, definitely needs a malt pipe or something like that.

Well done, quite industrious! :super:
One thing that would worry me is grain debris blockages in either the pump or sparge ring, perhaps a stainless scrubby on the tap inlet would help prevent that.
Also, M^B has a point, perhaps when the mash is finished, drain it all into the cube temporarily, lift the bag out, flush any debris out and then return the liquor for boiling, doing that could avoid compromising the clarity which the recirculation may bring. Continue to drain the bag over the trivet or rack in a bucket, squeeze etc, even sparge it if desired and return all of the runnings to the urn after a few minutes settling where most of the larger debris should drop out. Probably not ideal as far as efficient processes go, but we have what kit we have!
Good luck with the maiden voyage! :icon_cheers:

i would think about using a quick disconnect on that pump rather than be screwing the metal fighting on and off, i think it might bugger the thread...

maybe some brass (or ss?) garden hose connecter things on the pump / pipe ?

looks pretty cool !!

we need pics of the brew day !!

Rockin'. Looking forwards to hearing how it works out!
Where are you measuring the wort temperature?

About 150mm below the surface, just dangling the probe in.
I am hoping that I get suggestions as to where to site the temperature probe.
I have considered removing the site tube from the boiler and inserting a small thermowell instead.

From what I've heard, the STC temp probe is not water proof, how have you overcome this?

Had'nt heard that it was not water proof, some brewers insert the probe into a water bottle when in use to control a
fermentation fridge.

i've been wondering about probe location for this type of system too. Since you are directly heating the wort you might want the probe pretty close to the element so you don't get part of it too hot? I wonder if its best to measure at the outlet of the urn before it hits the pump?

Latest posts

Back