Woolworths Canning The Cans?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodwormm

Reaction score
Just picked up a bargain at my Woolies.

all the brew cans had clearance tickets on them (all brands)

plenty of use by date, so i reckon that woolies might be deleting them?

anyways they scanned less than the clearance tickets said so i scored Coopers Pale Ale cans for $8 and a few cents each and all other Coopers cans were $6 and a few cents each...

awesome value.

noticed that myself,but they have restricted range in my store.before the sale started..No Blonde in 2 stores i visit

Just picked up a bargain at my Woolies.

all the brew cans had clearance tickets on them (all brands)

anyways they scanned less than the clearance tickets said so i scored Coopers Pale Ale cans for $8 and a few cents each and all other Coopers cans were $6 and a few cents each...

awesome value.

I always hear about people finding the cans on special but I never can find them discounted. Oh well.
Good bargain you caught!

I was talking to my LHBS about it, and apparently Coopers are no longer selling to retailers. They will now sell to a 3rd party (i can recall the name, but a company in QLD), and then they will distribute. Sounds like we are going to get stung for more $$ at the checkout if the product is being double handled though :(

I've noticed the same thing at my local Woolies. I don't think it's just the Cooper's lines though - they appear to be dumping all their brewing gear (used to stock Toohey's and a few odds and ends).

this same story gets a run every few months..... sometimes with Coles ... sometimes with Woolies.

I've noticed the same thing at my local Woolies. I don't think it's just the Cooper's lines though - they appear to be dumping all their brewing gear (used to stock Toohey's and a few odds and ends).

yeah it was all cans... sugars and lids etc did not seem to be on special...

there was toohey's at mine, even homebrand cans were on clearance... but hey we're south oz so it's gotta be Coopers!

Had the same experience. Picked up like ten cans for about 9 bucks each.

I was talking to my LHBS about it, and apparently Coopers are no longer selling to retailers. They will now sell to a 3rd party (i can recall the name, but a company in QLD), and then they will distribute. Sounds like we are going to get stung for more $$ at the checkout if the product is being double handled though :(

I can smell a business opportunity ........ maybe encourage your local liquor store to stock some basic homebrew extracts..... the liquor shop overheads on its core business stocks should help keep a lid on unit prices for homebrew stock

Bunnings should get into home brew cans..would encouraged more customers..
Or since its a hardware store maybe they should sell grain mills, gas burners and 3V brewing systems. I'm stil waiting for Woolies (Safeways here) to add AG ingedients onto their shelf next to the cans.

They used to sell them here in NZ too at Countdown (part of Woolies) but I haven't seen them in awhile(maybe in a year or so), so looks like the supermarkets are getting out of the home brew kits retailing.

The Coles in my neck of the woods has stopped selling HB cans. Just as I start homebrewing :angry: !!!!

I have been in two different Coles's recently and they have completely got out of their homebrew stuff and won't be having it again :-(

Well if thet don't sell K&K at their supermarkets then their customers will have to go to their bottleshops and pubs and buy their pre made megaswill at inflated profit margins. As it was told to me when I first started brewing only 10% of can buyers ever walk into a LHBS the other 90% buy off the supermarket shelf. The Duopoly aren't threatened by LHBS because the Duopoly has outlet everywhere and convinence will outweigh cost nearly 75% of the time.

Yeah, I was told a while ago that Coles stopped selling them (all the brews were 50% at least). That was about 6 months ago.

Looks like I'm off to Woolies to grab as many Dark Ale and Stout kits as I possibly can! (if you'll excuse the very amusing can pun)

Representing such iconic brands as Morgans, Coopers, Samuel Willards and our own BREW Cellar branded products, we have the right products and advice for absolute beginners and experienced brewers alike.

Taken from the Brewcellar Website. They are the distributor/agent I think.

Hopper.

I suspect that the bigger outlets for the supermarkets - Big W and Target for example- will continue to sell kit gear.

Latest posts

Back