Wood Fired Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They have a very simple method of checking on fermentation without removing the air lock. Now that’s my sort of brewing.
rtb0015w.jpg

Hey there Guys!
Thanks for the ideas and opinions.

Let me be less cryptic than my original post above. Firstly I was known on AHB a while, while, while back as Chappo. I basically vowed never to return as there was was too much bullsh@t being posted here. ENDLESSLY... if I recall correctly. I just couldn't stand it so rather than keep fighting it I left the BS behind me. So enough said there IMHO.

Anyhow since those days I have moved with the Wife (Jodie) from Brisvegas (ewww!) to a very rare spot in Northern Rivers NSW, Newton Boyd. Basically on the top of the Great Dividing Range between Grafton and Glen Innes. 780m above sea level so we do get the 4 seasons thankfully. So I plan on brewing and fermenting in Autumn thru to early Spring. Ales early, then darks drinkin' and lagers kneeling into winters edge with Ales again in early spring. Lager definitely winter. We're on the Little River or Boyd River (now) for those who know the area. We are on 332 acres of ex logging land, I estimate it was logged about 40 to 50 years ago, so its still recovering and even more now since the bushfires incinerated us back in Nov 2019. We have about 5ha of natural Aussie Hinterland Rain Forest on our property which again we are nursing back to health and trying to keep invasive euro weeds out. However the natural spring water is UNBELIEVABLE and cannot wait to brew/still with it. As for timber there is about 40 different species of gum/eucly oak acacia etc. So will need experimentation on best type, species, dryness etc. Should be interesting.

So GAS, PETROL, DIESEL, ELECTRICAL is NOT AN OPTION here okay guys. No grid here. Zero zilch none naa-daa zip. We generate all of our own via diesel gen sets and solar. Yes REALLY! Wife and I call ourselves the "Heavy Metal Hillbillies" (Take ya finger off the send button... already trade marked it f@ckers : ) And seriously it is EXACTLY like being in DELIVERANCE the movie. Look it up you young'ans and learn a thing or 3... And yes I can call myself a Hillbilly if I want too. Lets not get judgy here okay? But seriously if you read between the above lines you'll figure out I literally live butt f@ck nowhere. Even Nowhere has a post code FFS!!! I am surrounded by 2.5M hectares of Nat Parks. I know, I know! Boo fuc#ing hoo for me right? Agree, wholly, that my situation is not shitful at all HAHAHAHA! Anyways... driving 2hrs each way to either Glen Innes or Grafton is just not an option. Especially now all you CItySlickers (yep finally got to use it out loud LOL) are diseased rabbits hording toilet paper for ya'll nests (well that's my best guess is what ya'll weirdo city folk are doing with it). Again... apologies... my Wife doesn't let me off the chain to regularly interact with you normal folk... says I am a bit to extreme, possibly very politically incorrect, possible I am genderistic (what ever the f@ck that means?) and whole bunch of other terms ending in "IST".

Okay... so to the plan. I am currently drawing them up and will post them up in a day or so for CONSTRUCTIVE critical analysis. As most guessed I do plan to build a frankensteined version of a rocket stove. I have been experimenting with them for years and they are by far and a way the bomb for my needs. And for three very good reasons. ONE - Burn incredibly hot and are easily dialed up or down once you know what you are doing. TWO - Very economical on the amount of burn vs heat. THREE - Easy to set up. I have an abundance of two building materials. Stone (Granite) and timber. I mean an inexhaustible supply of both. So I plan to build it out of stone, mortar and timber poles. Very Aussie pre-1900's style. I have six 50lt S/S kegs which I will use for my vessels. I plan on a 50/100llt split system. On days I want to do my regulars I can do 100lt batches and on days I want to go specialty beers I can go 50 or 100lt over two beers if I want. I plan on using gravity as my friend so I therefore will need to figure out a lift of sorts to move liquids around the system. I reckon this parts going to be fun and will try out my carpentry and blacksmithing skills.

Legless - I will be posting regular updates, photos etc... And will be seeking intelligent advice and ideas etc as I go.

MHB - Mate that has been my exact worry and thought on this project since inception 2 yrs ago. YEP! i have procrastinated for that long on this exact subject. 20 yrs plus of brewing only using GAS has me well trained to its efficiency to boil and not imparting any taste characteristics. I still have my two Rambo burners in the shed as proof.

AND SERIOUSLY.... Who the f@ck pays for a licence to collect firewood? Seriously? And this is exactly what is wrong with this planet and good old Aussie values. Firstly, us Humans have been gathering firewood for millennia without ever killing one forest (talking about whats on the ground people). Indigenous people know the score its us dumb euro's that have it wrong. Done sensibly you are helping the forest generate and clean it up. And SECONDLY it's Aussie not only to point the law out but to also point out how to get around it! Remember my friends? Surely some of you survived the brain washing panty wearing, it's okay my son is my daughter now??? WTF??? And before you "Greta" lovin' whores start up please please please look at the science and use your powers of free thinking and thought. Not wanting a WW3 here... there's enough shyte out there already.

Anyway

Peace and Love Brewing Brothers

Chappo666
Peace and Tranquility to you too Chappo, Best to you and yours mate,
Edd

They have a very simple method of checking on fermentation without removing the air lock. Now that’s my sort of brewing.
rtb0015w.jpg
Nice to see a proper FV for once , Open Square (W/Lid) with a cooling system in a double skin type ?

Back