Won a prize of 5kg of assorted hops - which to choose :)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My choice would be Citra, Mosaic, Styrians, Tettnanger, Williamette and POR flowers. Most beer styles covered, great versatility.

Why not grab the Brewdog DIY DOG recipe PDF and pick a few interesting recipes from there, then choose the hops you'll need. Looking at some of the monsters in there, 5kg won't last very long at all. :eek:

I'd grab at least 250g of Perle, with summer coming up you can give a few Saisons a go, Perle is the star in all of mine (with a touch of EKG)

And Spalt.
I'm surprised DJ_lethal (or manticle) hasn't chimed in with that one.
Apparently the bees knees for Alts, etc - ie: German ales (& lagers).

Re: cascade, yeah cascade is a fantastic hops that goes with everything in very very many styles. I'd def grab some. However, if he's already tried it and wants to try different stuff, then I'd maybe err towards some others.
And fwiw, any combo (from 1 to all 4) of citra/simcoe/centennial/chinook works reeeeeaaally well, so I'd get them first. Cascade also fits just as well into those, but I was trying to use a restrained hand in the U.S. selections [emoji57]
Columbus could sub in for centennial if you're more keen on that. Mosaic could maybe sub for either citra or simcoe.
2c

technobabble66 said:
And Spalt.
I'm surprised DJ_lethal (or manticle) hasn't chimed in with that one.
Apparently the bees knees for Alts, etc - ie: German ales (& lagers).
Re: cascade, yeah cascade is a fantastic hops that goes with everything in very very many styles. I'd def grab some. However, if he's already tried it and wants to try different stuff, then I'd maybe err towards some others.
And fwiw, any combo (from 1 to all 4) of citra/simcoe/centennial/chinook works reeeeeaaally well, so I'd get them first. Cascade also fits just as well into those, but I was trying to use a restrained hand in the U.S. selections [emoji57]
Columbus could sub in for centennial if you're more keen on that. Mosaic could maybe sub for either citra or simcoe.
2c
I haven't chimed in with any specific variety because that's really just akin to 'I like this hop'.

As I suggested previously, knowing what kinds of beers the OP likes and getting a variety based on that would be my way forward.

But yes - spalt, styrians, challenger, cascade, tettnanger, hall mitt and amarillo & chinook are among my list of favourites, style and combination dependent. AKA I like these hops.

Plan what beers you intend to brew, then make a call. No point having bags of noble hops going stale in the freezer if Euro lagers and weizens aren't your bag.
Or.
5kg of Amarillo.

Dave70 said:
Plan what beers you intend to brew, then make a call. No point having bags of noble hops going stale in the freezer if Euro lagers and weizens aren't your bag.
Or.
5kg of Amarillo.
and blow it all on a single batch of Hoparillo.

pcqypcqy said:
and blow it all on a single batch of Hoparillo.
Go hard.

mikkeller-1000-ibu.jpg

Nice! That is on my list of things to try. What was it like?

Mikkeller 20 is also an interesting hop experience. And so are all the "GOOP" Mikkeller / Three Floyds colabs.

I found it really hard to drink
Fairly well balanced, but the citrusness was just off the charts and it took me a good hour to drink

Thanks folks! I've marked half the list now, but will try to tone it down, with reference to your suggestions, and Brewdog and Jamil's recipes etc which I have been dabbling in.

I won it for Best IPA in a Tassie comp last year, but for one reason or another we're only organising delivery now :)

IMO the must haves are Centennial, Citra, Columbus, Styrian Goldings and Saaz. Plus a good neutral bittering hop like horizon.

Back