Feedback on NZ Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What are the popular kiwi hops?

• Pacific Jade

• Kohatu

• Rakau

• Taiheke

• Nelson Sauvin

• Wai-iti

• Wakatu

• Riwaka

• Motueka

• Pacifica

Results are only viewable after voting.

seanm2e

Reaction score
I'm interested in general feedback on the popularity (or otherwise) of the following NZ hop variants:

Pacific Jade
Kohatu
Rakau
Taiheke (NZ Cascade)
Nelson Sauvin
Wai-iti
Wakatu
Riwaka
Motueka
Pacifica

Do forum users have a strong preference/demand for any of the above hops? I am working for an NZ business looking to import hops into Australia and we'd like to focus on the most popular to start, so I'm polling the most informed bunch on the planet :)

So what's the view on kiwi hops over the ditch? Which of the above are absolute standouts in your book?

Cheers
Sean.

My preferences are;
Nelson Sauvin
Motueka
Riwaka
Pacific Jade

These are the hops I have used and only recently brewed with Riwaka (hard to find in large quantities) which is almost ready to keg.
Very interested to try other hops.

If anyone knows where to get some Nelson, please let me know! Its been sooo long since I've seen any for the Homebrewer.

Dr Rudi in my book.
Goes well with Aussie hops.

Have only used Motueka and Stricklebract,had really good results with Motueka,Stricklebract seemed to give of a bit of a flavour I would describe as slightly dirt/soil flavour-bit off topic but both are NZ hops

If anyone knows where to get some Nelson, please let me know! Its been sooo long since I've seen any for the Homebrewer.
Craftbrewer have the organic variant but it's bloody exxy. Regular Nelson Sauvin out of stock until the 2017 crop which I guess would be imminent.

Ed: 185,010kg of NS were harvested, way the most popular hop so hopefully arriving soon.

Nelson is one of my favourites.

Try as I might I don't like Motueka at all despite all the beers I've tried with this hop.

Not sure what it is about it but it just doesn't trip my trigger.

Amen!

I've sadly only used Nelson and Wakatu, and have tasted a beer with Pacific Jade.

I love Nelson but Wakatu wasn't my favourite. It wasn't bad but not the best comparatively to other noble varieties. Pacific Jade I could see being a staple but I'd need to try it myself first.

Hallertau Pacific (Pacifica) is a great hops and I've used it a lot. Great versatile hops IMHO.

Havent used any of the others on your list, but have tried beers with Nelson in them and it's not bad.

I've made a Double IPA with all kiwi hops, it was a potently hopped thing. Used Riwaka, Pacifica & Motueka. What I took away from that is to never dry hop heavily with Pacifica unless you want extreme grapefruit pith! Took a few months to mellow but prior to that...fark me!

Nelson Sav, Wai iti,Motueka and Riwaka are my favourites,

Only early in my brewing career but I've had reasonable success with Wakatu and NZ Cascade.
Riwaka was not really to my liking, Dr Rudi was a bit sharp in the short term but if you're patient can be good after six months or so.
The others on the list I haven't tried yet but am keen to have a go at Motueka soon.

My Fave is Nelson. Love that hop.

I see Bribie mentioned there may be some 2017 being released for home brewers and I hope that is the case, but the advice I have been given is not for a fair while if at all this year. There are increased crops in NZ that will yield some larger crops in 2018 / 19, so the future is looking good.

Quite a few craft breweries and some big players seem to have gobbled it all up.

Back