Wlp002 Yeast And Odd Fermenting Behaviour

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tumi2

Reaction score
Hi all

I am currently fermenting a British Bitter with WLP002. I have noticed some very strange fermenting behaviour. It is the first time i have used this yeast.

Within less than 12 hours had a cream like krausen.

Within less than 24 hours strong bubbling action. The most i have ever had. It also had a thick layer of krausen which was a white color with large patches of black. Looks like a cappuccino with black patches. The krausen was noticably different to other beers i have done. i have made this beer twice before suing S04 and it has not gone off like this.

The bubbling went crazy over the 24 to 48 hour period, every second and spitting water out of the lock. The concerning part though is a slight unusual smell coming from the airlock only detectable when very close to lock. To me it was a little like fresh wort with Chlorine or perhaps sulphur. I used a 600ml starter with WLP002 that was cultured from an original vile. The starter also had the smell but not as strong. At the time of pitching i didnt think anything of the smell, it wasnt too bad and since i am new to the yeast i figured it may be normal. I pitched at 22 degs which is a bit high but it has now got down to 19 degs.

It has now been 3 days and the bubbling has slowed but is still going.

The krausen has subsided significantly so all in all the ferment seems pretty normal albeit very strong but the appearance of the krausen initially and the odd smell have me a little worried.

To those who know this yeast, does my experience seem normal.

Thanks

I have tasted this brew now and there is no infection. I have now seen how this yeast ferments and it is quite different to other yeasts i have used (which by the way is not many, im new to AG). It definitively produced a slight chlorine type smell during the most aggressive stage of fermentation but this has completely gone now.

The beer tasted quite rich with a fair degree of residual sweetness and quite strong fruity esters. I have had a few English Ales lately (Duchies Ale and Selected Ale) and i can taste similar esters in these beers as in mine. The fruitiness is probably a little strong for my personal taste. I think this is a result of fermenting at about 20 to 22 degrees rather than 18 to 20.

It has gone from 1044 to 1015 and i suspect it still has some to go.

This yeast settles out really well. I roused the ferementer several times and bubbles started again within a few hours each time.

I have now transferred to the secondary and a thin layer of krausen has appeared again. Once this disappear i will dry hops with EK Goldings for the last few days before cold chill, finings and then polycar.

So to any inexperienced brewers using this yeast dont stress if you see a noticeable difference in fermentation to other ale yeasts, strange looking krausen, slight smell and on and off aggressive fermentation. Chances are it will all be good...

Latest posts

Back