Witchcraft And Superstitions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mika

Lupulin Threshold Shift Victim
Reaction score
Alright, so here's the go, this should bring out all the alternative lifestylers. My Dad is more of a devotee than I am as it generally applies to bio-dynamic gardening more than brewing beer, though the story has it that these "nodes" influence the creation of all things when they are in force. I don't know enough about it to tell you what makes these dates "nodes" whether it be the phase of the moon or some cosmic imbalance, so we'll let that bit slide.
So the point of this topic/poll is to find out whether it influences anyone's brews and just how flaky this idea is.
Your brewing may only be affected in the smallest way as in missed a target you usually hit, or it might be a complete brew that doesn't taste quite right or got infected. According to the guru's the node may be in effect up to a day (24hrs) either side of the designated time.
To make it accurate you need to brew on the "node" dates with reckless abandon and on other days as well to provide the baseline for your brewing disasters.
Think of it as an interactive Mythbusters episode. I'll bump this thread every now and then just to see what happens. Tell us your experiences in the thread and I'll update the results every now and then, see what the result is.

Node dates;

June 8 th 8.35am (start) WA time
June 21 st 3.31 am
July 5 th 9.39 am
July 18 th 8.28 am
Aug 1 st 2.03 pm
Aug 14 th 3.26 pm
Aug 29 th 10.28 am
Sept 6 th 10.49 am
Sept 27 th 8.40 am
Oct 8 th 4.04 am
Oct 22nd 5 pm
Nov 4 th 6.10 am
Nov 18 th 8.45 pm
Dec 1 st 7.09 am
Dec 15 th 9.15 pm
Dec 28 th 10.58 pm
Jan 12 th (08) 11.17 pm
Jan 24 th 6:50 pm

Suggest a move over to the "Humour and Jokes" section?

Sorry Mika! :)

Glad to see Nodes occur fairly frequently, so a fair chance of me maintaining a fair average on getting things right. Thinking on this..... Geez can you provide me with dates for the Antinodes, now those I'd be more worried about.

Probably associated with earth's geomagnetic feild oscillations, but due to the arythmic frequency is it possibly also associated with Howard & LaBonte's solar torsional oscillation.

thinking-023.GIF

Smile and wave boys, smile and wave <_<

How about a group to pray to the beer gods to see what difference that makes?

Sorry to be cycnical. But it is hard enough to do scientific comparisons in brewing by controlling the regular variables, like hop type, yeast strain, brew temp ... so apart from the fact that it sounds like pure woo, the fatal flaw in your plan is that who is going to "... brew on the "node" dates with reckless abandon and on other days as well" while keeping ALL other variables constant except date?

How about a group to pray to the beer gods to see what difference that makes?

Steady now..... All those people praying for rain, look what a problem that's caused to our brewing brothers in the Hunter.

All jokes aside, I hope the brewing fraternity in that area have been spared, and wish them all well. A real tragedy at a time when so many areas need rain so badly.
Screwy

Ok, maybe not so scientific, but if you have a large enough group that have problems with brews on the Nodes....
I posted out of interest, if you have issues with the test...don't participate.
There's a reasonable sized group that believe it for growing/gardening, has to be something to it.

Ok, maybe not so scientific, but if you have a large enough group that have problems with brews on the Nodes....
I posted out of interest, if you have issues with the test...don't participate.
There's a reasonable sized group that believe it for growing/gardening, has to be something to it.

I brew under a makeshift pyramid to prevent infections. I have found it works better when I clean my brewing gear. :p

InCider.

I brew under a makeshift pyramid to prevent infections. I have found it works better when I clean my brewing gear. :p

InCider.

Ya wanna try cleanin da Pyramid, me tinks you been doin "IT" under da pyramid man.

if u could put the march dates up,i could find out wether im a genius and was put here to be a master 'node" at what i do then it would all make sense to me.
lol because im good at what i do ha...

dude, you're starting to scare me...

my nickname is kingy as well, im a beer nut, and i was also born in march...

dont tell me you were born in 1986 as well...

Ya wanna try cleanin da Pyramid, me tinks you been doin "IT" under da pyramid man.
IT: Information Tech or planning for more staff in the Brewery? :p

IT is still rooting around - just the cable isn't as thick! :D

Alright, so here's the go, this should bring out all the alternative lifestylers. My Dad is more of a devotee than I am as it generally applies to bio-dynamic gardening more than brewing beer, though the story has it that these "nodes" influence the creation of all things when they are in force. I don't know enough about it to tell you what makes these dates "nodes" whether it be the phase of the moon or some cosmic imbalance, so we'll let that bit slide.
So the point of this topic/poll is to find out whether it influences anyone's brews and just how flaky this idea is.
Your brewing may only be affected in the smallest way as in missed a target you usually hit, or it might be a complete brew that doesn't taste quite right or got infected. According to the guru's the node may be in effect up to a day (24hrs) either side of the designated time.
To make it accurate you need to brew on the "node" dates with reckless abandon and on other days as well to provide the baseline for your brewing disasters.
Think of it as an interactive Mythbusters episode. I'll bump this thread every now and then just to see what happens. Tell us your experiences in the thread and I'll update the results every now and then, see what the result is.

Node dates;

June 8 th 8.35am (start) WA time
June 21 st 3.31 am
July 5 th 9.39 am
July 18 th 8.28 am
Aug 1 st 2.03 pm
Aug 14 th 3.26 pm
Aug 29 th 10.28 am
Sept 6 th 10.49 am
Sept 27 th 8.40 am
Oct 8 th 4.04 am
Oct 22nd 5 pm
Nov 4 th 6.10 am
Nov 18 th 8.45 pm
Dec 1 st 7.09 am
Dec 15 th 9.15 pm
Dec 28 th 10.58 pm
Jan 12 th (08) 11.17 pm
Jan 24 th 6:50 pm

Now how do I translate these times to Sydney .

Pumpy :unsure:

What are nodes?

Dont see Ross or the Americans selling them.

Although, the Yanks probably use them ;)

Joking aside,are you talking LWT as in weather?
Or was the new batch just REAL good;)

Maybe the humour section was the right place <_<

Yeah, this does sound 'flaky' to me. Like, just say I brew two identical brews at two identical times on two identical days [temp and whatever wise], but one of these days happens to be whack bang on the node at the time I do the brew - I seriously can't see one brew being better than the other or befalling some mishap because of some hoodoo-guru cosmically tripped-out theory.

I'm not trying to pay anyone who believes in it out, I think beliefs are healthy for people as long as they dont promote harm in any way and aren't thrust apon others unwillingly [*cough* fanatical-religious-groups *cough*]. I'm just saying I personally think its totally whacked :blink:

Having said that, I'll keep the times at the back of my mind, and if I happen to brew on that day I'll make it so I pitch the yeast and seal the fermenter at that time - and compare it to previous brews by making it the same where possible/desirable.

Hahaha, shine on you crazy diamonds...

Thanks Boingk, tht's all I wanted :D
Not a true believer myself, though I have had a brew go bad that was brewed on a node, stalled at 1020 and was a real beeyatch to get moving again.
As I mentioned, the node is in effect for up to 24hrs either side of the nominated time, so not necessary to wait till the time 100% to pitch the yeast.

Maybe PistolPatch couldincorporate the BOAN(Brewing on a node) into BIAB? :p

Latest posts

Back