Winter saison

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yeastfridge

Reaction score
Anybody else out there ever tried making a saison in ambient winter temperatures? Sydney winter, I should add.

I know the Dupont strain (Wyeast 3726 I think) doesn't finish the job if you don't ramp it up to the high 20s/low 30 but I grew a starter from the French strain (Wyeast 3711) I had washed back in March and it came back to life, so pitched it.

It's taken a 1.048 wort down to 1.007 and still seems to be fermenting slowly. I expected it to be cleaner than it is. Really classic fruity/spicy saison nose and flavours coming through, really similar (though a little less spicy) to how it was back in February fermented at 30C. I'd say it's been chugging along at 16C or so this time round.

Just not sure how long to give it before bottling... Any thoughts?

I make saisons in Sydney winter, but I use a heatbelt and set the temp to whatever I want.

1.004 is what they usually finish at so I would try to heat it up a bit for a few days if you can.

I have used Belle Saison at ambient high-teens and produced tasty brews. No sweat.

Back