Windows Xp Help Needed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys,

I followed all the suggestions made to GMK on my computer and none of them work.

I've been downloading virus infected emails and there is obviously something wrong with my system as the virii [over 60,000 in the wild I'm lead to believe] won't work either.

I can't find any spyware programmes that will work so I'm at a loss as to how I can corrupt my machine to XP's level.

I did find that Aaron's suggestion about stability made me realise i hadn't used M$ software on the net for nearly 6 six years and yes I run Linux!!!

Wine isn't fully MicroBabel compatible as yet as it won't run virii and corrupt your system :)

If XP is the question Linux has the answer :)

sorry, i joined this late
has anyone suggested a $50 imac running OSX and safari (ok, or firefox)?

delboy said:
presicly .
ok ken here is my offer

bring your computer to me on saturday arvo will fix and reformat will it is doing its busines we will drink some bruskies and make some partials
you can stay over and then go home with a clean system and set up your isp again and put a few things on you want i will even set it up with a rigy digy copy .
what do say to that and we can catch up and see the bar room and pick up your displays and we willalso fix you up for the refract .
sounds like the go to me ?

del
[post="87828"][/post]​

ok - cant make sat.

now installed firefox - run it - tried to get to paypal and amazon get the following..
alert..

Connection was refused when attempting to contact paypal/amazon

thanks for all the help guys...

GMK, can you ping paypal/amazon
start>run type cmd
in the black window type ping www.paypal.com
what are the results?

when in doubt
log out

i ended up hating my last computer
this one will end up the same and its all down to the system you install.i hope bills gate doesnt close and when it does he catches his gooliees in it and they malfunction on a daily basis.

comp out
big d

i get ping successful from 127.0.0.1

the microtrend scan found 4 viruses and 2 trogens - all removed.
Have not run spybot.

nonicman said:
GMK, can you ping paypal/amazon
start>run type cmd
in the black window type ping www.paypal.com
what are the results?
[post="87917"][/post]​

Actually GMK -- apt-get upgrade -- is a command that springs to mind.

GMK said:
i get ping successful from 127.0.0.1

the microtrend scan found 4 viruses and 2 trogens - all removed.
Have not run spybot.
[post="87922"][/post]​
GMK when you pinged www.paypal.com
did you get an ip address like 216.113.166.32? You possibly get request timed out for a few lines but that is expected.

Trying to see if you can resolve the address.

127.0.0.1 is your loop back address e.g yes you have a network card and TCP/IP is working.

I strongly suggest you run spybot if pinging paypal returns 127.0.0.1

snap - just relised it was my loopback address.

So can you resolve the address? Assuming that you've done the basics e.g as Big_d suggested logged in and out if on dialup or power cycled the modem if on ADSL (as sometimes the ISP can make changes on their network which can mean odd address resolution untill you cycle your modem especially if you're on DHCP).

if i type the ip address in the browser window - it makes it to the site - then stops and goes to the cant display window.

recycling modem no good.

Have you run spybot yet?
So you can ping paypal successfully? Just trying to establish whether you can translate the human friendly address (www.paypal.com) to the actual address which is the IP address. It is strange behaviour but if it was one of my XP computers I'd be running Spybot (or a similar tool) especially as you have found virii which indicates that your computer far too open and could have allsorts of annoying things interferring with your browsing.

run spybot - fixed 7654 things

when i ping www.paypal.com.au - i get an address of...

but the request is timed out...

The request timeout is expected as paypal don't want to return your ping request. With that amount of fixes you may need to reboot (if paypal is still not working) which should start up clean now.

Edit: at least we know (as best we can) there are no external problems affecting your browsing.

GMK said:
run spybot - fixed 7654 things
[post="87952"][/post]​

Wow that is nasty. You need to get yourself some decent security software. Start with a free firewall, I have heard ZoneAlarm is ok. Windows regulars may be able to advise something better. And some regular anti spyware protection. From what I have heard about spyware etc that is out there now days it may be a good idea to cjange a lot of the passwords etc that you use online.

As your pc has een compromised I would also run a scan for rootkits as they are becoming more common in spyware. Get yourself a copy of the free rootkit revealer from Sysinternals.

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/RootkitRevealer.html

westnet support were really good..
they emailed me spybot and adware programs.

1st spybot run - really quick - too quick.
run adaaware - found 4 things - fixed.
2nd run spybot - now did full scan - found 40 odd things - inc 32 redirects of most common known virus scaners - eg trend, mcafee, symantec, avg etc all redirected to loopback address.

As it was really late i forgot to print/write down path to the files.
FIxed these problems - but amazon and paypal still dont work.
Pretty sure they are being redirected to the loopback address.

Now - i dont know enough about XP to know where to look for the redirects - it is not in the host files.

Aaron - will try that program tonight.

But this is NASTY. Really NASTY.

Zonealarm free version is in use on 3 boxes here, it's not the best but in combination of having a firewall on the modem/router, updated Spybot, which has the immunise feature active, also use the Teatimer monitor on (comes from the same people who put out Spybot and watches for any changes to the system) and run updated Nortons Corp.
I mainly see Zonealarm as something to stop infections spreading from a PC. Use Firefox as it has less holes than IE, and wouldn't touch Outhouse (Outlook) with a barge pole. M$ Messenger is disabled on all PC's. On the work laptop it's all McAfee products their personal firewall and AV which works and is provided by work.
7654 finds from Spybot has to be one of the higher infections rates I've heard of.
Would never install file sharing software without taking the above precautions as that is simply asking for trouble.
With that amount of problems on GMK's PC he may need to run another cleanup tool to get anything that Spybot may have missed.
Linux would be a safer option, though it does entail having to do some homework and I find some people don't want to do that.

Latest posts

Back