Help With Networking Win7 To Xp

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
or should I have said "the milking of..."

I had this problem ages ago... and I'm quite sure I got it working off google powered search. Probably ppl like Truman pestering ppl for solutions though... Albeit don't remember the links being on s a homebrew website. I don't remember brewing that long ago! Not possible if I came across said websites... Gee! This thread might make non-IT geeks discover AHB and brewing!

You're a true gift to AHB Truman :D

Probably ppl like Truman pestering ppl for solutions though...
You're a true gift to AHB Truman :D

I'm not pestering anyone, its their choice if they want to answer or not and get involved. Nobodys holding a gun to their head.

lol sudo apt-get remove --purge win7

back on topic:

your external drive is probably fat32 so no problems with permissions there
on your home network im guessing you aren't worrying too much about security

1) turn off password protected file sharing
2) enable file sharing with devices that use 40- 56-bit encryption
3) right click on drive that you have shared -> properties -> security -> advanced
permissions -> change permissions -> add -> type in 'everyone' minus quotes -> grant whatever security you want (im lazy and just click full control) -> ok
->replace all child... tick box ticked -> click ok
4) now it should work, i know as i just tested it then

cheers, Mike

edit - spelling

Mate your a legend that did the trick, worked like a charm.

I cant believe all the searching I did and posts and articles I read no one has ever mentioned doing this. (And Ive read a lot over the last few weeks.)

Just goes to show even on a home brew forum you can find answers to other questions.

Thanks again to everyone who helped out.

or should I have said "the milking of..."

I see Bipolar Ted is back..and here I was thinking we were mates Ted?

No ones being forced to answer and I DID do a lot of searching and tried different suggestions before asking on here.
My only mistake is posting this in The Pub which Im sure a mod could fix..

That's not a Bon Jovi song !

So Truman, what are some subjects that you are knowledgeable on ? It would be good to know we can turn to you from time to time.

And you need to observe that while I was the first to pull you up on your laziness and dependance on others, the number of impatient members is growing steadily with each new thread. So clearly the criticism isn't isolated to a single asshole (ie me). You can argue this as much as you want, but perhaps stop and consider the growing volume of comments directed your way. Your responses to me at this point are irrelevant.

Next question !

That's not a Bon Jovi song !

So Truman, what are some subjects that you are knowledgeable on ? It would be good to know we can turn to you from time to time.

And you need to observe that while I was the first to pull you up on your laziness and dependance on others, the number of impatient members is growing steadily with each new thread. So clearly the criticism isn't isolated to a single asshole (ie me). You can argue this as much as you want, but perhaps stop and consider the growing volume of comments directed your way. Your responses to me at this point are irrelevant.

Next question !

Yes but for every person that cracks the shits because I asked a question there are another 7 willing to help. I cant see what was wrong with me asking about my networking problem except that I asked in the wrong sub forum, my bad Im sorry about that. But like I said I did search this extensively over the past few weeks and found a lot of people with the exact same problem and everything I tried just didn't seem to work. I knew there were a lot of IT guys on here from the what do you do for a living thread, so thought I would ask to see if any of them had a solution. I cant see how that's being lazy.

The solution I was given that worked had not been suggested anywhere else I had searched.

If it were something easy to fix and I just didn't bother searching then fair enough. But like I've said before how many noob posts on here appear everyday that have been asked before and will be asked again.

But for some reason they dont seem to cop it like I do from you and a few others that seem to have it in for me and just want to pounce everytime I ask a question.

I have often given advice to other noobs on this forum about problems I may have faced in the past and offered more than one person to wire up an STC1000 for them via a PM. I have also offered and picked up orders from G&G for other members who live out my way too so its not just all take take and no give. Im always willing to help someone out if I can.

But if everyones starting to get tired of me asking so called stupid questions and assuming Im being lazy and not researching then I will do you a favour and not post on here anymore.

*yawn*. irrelevant response.

Please google "self-reflection for better living"

Sometimes you just have to ignore Ted, maybe not always though.

My import, in that post was to point out that those sources of info on the Internet are due to people asking. I neve resent people asking. But the lengths some threads get to with people trying to help without the asker actually getting close to solvin the problem is irritating. The original post, if the person did some research would usually contain enough information for others to give simple effective answers. A lot of posts on here totally miss that point. It's not like we'd like to tell you how to post, but how you do post reflects how smart/dumb you are. Trust me when I say some smart people sound very dumb and some dumb idiots sound quite savvy initially. Gets them that treatment.
I think the No Topic thread is littered with questions. All sorts. And quite thankfully, people give short simple answers and the posters GET it. Exactly like you said, nobody is obliged to answer, but people are helpful. Give them something to work on that makes them feel you made an effort.

Sometimes you just have to ignore Ted, maybe not always though.

My import, in that post was to point out that those sources of info on the Internet are due to people asking. I neve resent people asking. But the lengths some threads get to with people trying to help without the asker actually getting close to solvin the problem is irritating. The original post, if the person did some research would usually contain enough information for others to give simple effective answers. A lot of posts on here totally miss that point. It's not like we'd like to tell you how to post, but how you do post reflects how smart/dumb you are. Trust me when I say some smart people sound very dumb and some dumb idiots sound quite savvy initially. Gets them that treatment.
I think the No Topic thread is littered with questions. All sorts. And quite thankfully, people give short simple answers and the posters GET it. Exactly like you said, nobody is obliged to answer, but people are helpful. Give them something to work on that makes them feel you made an effort.
Mate. I was at work. I responded to the things I had already tried and said I would give the suggestions I hadn't tried a go when I got home. Which I did and the first one I did try was what worked. Most of my responses were either to say I had already tried that or that I would give that a go when I got home.
I made the effort to mention what I had tried and what I would try. But had to get home first to give it a go. Then the missus and I went and brought some of that new moo broo to try. The pilsner is bloody good.

lol, you answer yourself there. Impatient with questions. People tell you stuff then you tell them you already did that. Makes them feel like they wasted their time. It's not big issues, it's just small things building angst on this website. You actually asked what it is so its worth telling you.

PS: I'm going to bury a lazy worthless prick tomorrow, so this was my penance, in advance.

lol, you answer yourself there. Impatient with questions. People tell you stuff then you tell them you already did that. Makes them feel like they wasted their time. It's not big issues, it's just small things building angst on this website. You actually asked what it is so its worth telling you.

I don't really see how that's being impatient with questions. I ask a question about networking, I receive many different posts with suggestions on what to try.
Of course Im going to comment on any suggestions that I may have already tried.

If I didn't then I would look like a lazy prick who hadn't searched anything or bothered trying to resolve the issue myself. I feel like I cant win on here.

If I had just said thanks I will give that a try to every suggestion made, sooner or later someones going to say, "Did you bother doing any research at all and try to fix this yourself". But as I said in my first post I had done heaps of searching and tried many different things and had also noticed that this was a very common unresolved problem for many people. The solution that fixed my problem had not been posted on any other forum or website that I had searched and I did search a lot.

Here is a post by another newbie forum user (not necessarily newbie brewer) that posted a short and simple question with enough information in the OP about what he did already:

Hi guys

My PC is in its death throes and I may be converting to Apple.

Any idea how I back up 100s of Beer Smith recipes? I've tried to save them one by one and email them as files but for some reason it didn't work. (My computer is really sick)

Cheers

Ged

Of course you're going to repeat that you were at work and didn't have the time to post everything you did... How about a simple - "I've tried next to everything that is posted on the internet forums etc... does anyone have a solution that has really worked when all else fails". Its not perfect but kinda hints that if someone id a google search and found a couple of pages worth of info, you've done all that.
Yes, people here answer out of the goodness of their hearts. To take it for granted and post lazy questions will piss them off. Not because they are mean old grumpy bastards, but because them poor buggers would like to help but get annoyed at questions with little real info to go on. Its like sending an email to IT helpdesk with bugger all info, they come back and ask more questions, again and again. If one is more professional, the help ticket is written well, the next step is either clarification of something or just the solution itself. I'm not saying people are being lazy always, just that they don't think enough!

Here is a post by another newbie forum user (not necessarily newbie brewer) that posted a short and simple question with enough information in the OP about what he did already:

Of course you're going to repeat that you were at work and didn't have the time to post everything you did... How about a simple - "I've tried next to everything that is posted on the internet forums etc... does anyone have a solution that has really worked when all else fails". Its not perfect but kinda hints that if someone id a google search and found a couple of pages worth of info, you've done all that.
Yes, people here answer out of the goodness of their hearts. To take it for granted and post lazy questions will piss them off. Not because they are mean old grumpy bastards, but because them poor buggers would like to help but get annoyed at questions with little real info to go on. Its like sending an email to IT helpdesk with bugger all info, they come back and ask more questions, again and again. If one is more professional, the help ticket is written well, the next step is either clarification of something or just the solution itself. I'm not saying people are being lazy always, just that they don't think enough!

Ive set sharing on my media drives on the win7 pc which includes two internal drives F and E and an external drive G.

However the only drive I can access from my XP laptop on the Win7 PC is the external G drive and the users folder.

There is no id or password to log into the Win7 PC, only the Xp laptop has a user id and password to log in. And the Win7 pc has the work network setup so Im not using the win7 to win7 network sharing feature.

When I try to access any other shared folders on the win7 PC I get the standard \\ \\ is not accessible, you might not have permission to use this network resource...

My network settings must be setup properly if I can access the G drive and the users folder, so what am I missing here?

I thought that was what I did here....., but I take your point, its just that if I had gone and posted every little thing I had already tried the post would have been very very long because I had tried just about everything except adding a user account on win7 to match the laptop and the suggestion Mikey made which fixed the problem.

Although it was only these steps below that Mikey suggested that fixed the problem as I had already done the first two. And set everyone with full permission in the drive properties>security advanced tab, It must be something to do with actually typing everyone and not just ticking "everyone" in the box.

3) right click on drive that you have shared -> properties -> security -> advanced
permissions -> change permissions -> add -> type in 'everyone' minus quotes -> grant whatever security you want (im lazy and just click full control) -> ok
->replace all child... tick box ticked -> click ok

Next time I will make sure I

1. Post in the offtopic thread

2. Post full details of what I have already tried.

3. Do a thorough search first, which I did do in this case.

Sure, that'd all help but www.geekstogo.com/forum/ might be an even better idea. Bookmark it. Read the stickies before posting anything.

Latest posts

Back